The Wire

Started by ice grillin you, May 01, 2007, 02:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

im gonna do it anyway just to rewatch but im not sure how far i can get into the show without just skipping the pod and doing a straight up rewatch....maybe they start bringing in guests at some point
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 16, 2020, 08:31:58 AM
like they just pulled two random people off twitter who love the show but dont know how to do a podcast in an entertaining or listenable way

You just described 98% of ringer content. I wouldn't hold on to much hope of it getting better.

Spotify bought them out for like $200M about five minutes before all sports went dark. Hopefully some Swede got fired for that decision.

phattymatty

agreed i used to get into a few ringer shows and still subscribe to their nba show but most are very cringey.  nba desktop that concepcion does is actually pretty good.  and i'm actually starting to enjoy rusillo.  simmons himself is unlistenable these days.

PhillyPhreak54

I got my girl watching it. She mentioned it started slow but she's into it now. We're about 4 eps in. I asked her why she felt that way and she said that it was because of what they have to do to introduce us to the players. Once they establish who's who then it gets rolling.

As for the Ringer pod - I agree. But I haven't ever been a Jemelle Hill fan. I listened for a little bit and cut it off.

phattymatty

i've never rewatched the wire a second time.

QB Eagles

I do think that someone going into the series cold needs to have some trust that the first episode pieces they are seeing (other than Snot Boogie) are part of an overall story, and not just a series of vignettes to establish characters like many shows do. It takes a while for the show to flesh out the connections but it's not a slow start by any means, just demanding of the viewer's attention. Not spoonfeeding things is part of what makes the Wire so good.

Anyone who is going to like the show though will certainly be hooked by the time Omar and McNulty/Greggs have the meet in the cemetery. By that point, you need to understand the world of the show. If someone still isn't feeling it by that point, it's probably not for them.

ice grillin you

Quote from: QB Eagles on April 16, 2020, 09:56:50 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 16, 2020, 08:31:58 AM
like they just pulled two random people off twitter who love the show but dont know how to do a podcast in an entertaining or listenable way

You just described 98% of ringer content. I wouldn't hold on to much hope of it getting better.

Spotify bought them out for like $200M about five minutes before all sports went dark. Hopefully some Swede got fired for that decision.

i feel the opposite

i dont know about 98% of their content because im far from a ringer expert but almost every one of their entertainment based podcasts ive listened to have been really good to outstanding...of course the wire is the first one that has sucked....their sports stuff not so much...most of that ive heard has been awful

MDS

its very white nerdbro heavy. very specific subset. think 28 year olds making an office reference to describe how james harden isnt as good as like kobe bryant or something.

i was thinking about listening to it but ive literally read every piece of everything on the wire and seen it 1000 times. not sure theres any ground left to cover.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

PhillyPhreak54

Doing another re watch while I'm laid up for awhile

Was it ever said what exactly went down in Daniels' east side days where the FBI put work in on him and where he acknowledges the east side days when talking to Marla?

QB Eagles

Heavily implied if not outright said that he stole a bunch of seized drug money.

SD

Quote from: QB Eagles on April 19, 2021, 11:19:58 PM
Heavily implied if not outright said that he stole a bunch of seized drug money.

If I was a cop I'd 100% do the same

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: QB Eagles on April 19, 2021, 11:19:58 PM

That's what I was always thinking but wondered if somehow throughout the million times I've watched it I missed something.

Which makes it funny that when Herc and Carver lost the money in their trunk Daniels was pissy about it.

ice grillin you

you didnt miss anything...its never said...fitzhugh just says that the fbi looked at his bank records and he had way too much money in his accounts but they dont know nor can prove where or how he got it

he got pissed at herc and carver because hes clearly a changed man far removed from his runnin the east side streets days...but even more than that he has higher aspirations within the dept and he doesnt want those knuckleheads ruining and chances he has for advancement

PhillyPhreak54

Hollllllld up

After the umpteenth re watch I caught something I've never noticed before

Johnny Fifty from s2 is a homeless dude that McNulty asks to talk to when him and Lester are working the homeless camp under the bridge.