the brag about your sports memorabilia here thread

Started by Sgt PSN, October 24, 2009, 09:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

Quote from: TAFKASD on September 22, 2022, 11:09:49 AM
I have a Von Hayes and Juan Samuel still in the package.

I also have those two but not in package.  mine are all faded and gross. The other ones I have are Schmidt, Bedrosian, and Carlton.

phattymatty

Anyone collect cards?

I started getting back into it during Covid after about 20-25 years away, but have really gotten back into over the past few months.  Brought a couple boxes back from PA when I visited, and started logging them into an app, and then it went downhill from there, immediately hooked again.

It's wild how different it is - like 79 different versions of each card - varying colors, autographs, patches etc.  It almost feels more like gambling than card collecting, trying to find that rare hit. 

As an adult with money to spend it's pretty dangerous, I think I am already addicted. Biggest pull lately was a Pat Mahomes card that's going for $900 on eBay. 

SD

I have a shtein ton in boxes. My dad started collecting again recently, he uses this app called Collx...you can scan the card or whatever and get a price. A lot of people advertise cards for sale too. I noticed a lot of value is tied up in the grade of the card now. 

phattymatty

Haha nice CollX is what I use also.  Pretty cool app.

And yes grading is huge - seems to be a racket to be honest - monopoly of only a few companies, PSA, Beckett and a small handful of others.  But the price can go up exponentially if they give it a 10. 

One thing I have learned is that most of my old cards are from the early 90s, which is apparently the least expensive era of cards because that was the big card boom.  Cycle has just started repeating over recently.