The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 30, 2023, 12:39:48 PM
you probably cant name three boxers but the sport has never been deeper in elite talent

and?

the sport has cannibalized itself over the past 5 decades and its impossible to follow...when is the last time there was even a truly big fight

ufc is as rancid as it gets but its fully supplanted boxing
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on April 30, 2023, 01:12:12 PM
yep

Nascar is far more popular in America than F1

similar gig.  the more complicated, nuanced, disciplined sport just doesn't sell as well to Muricans, and especially not if they gotta pay cash money to see it

boxing shot itself in the face when it went to pay per view as the main option for fans

exactly...perfect analogy....youd be surprised tho how many great fights are out there for free or on say espn+ which is dirst cheap 
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

Quote from: Diomedes on April 30, 2023, 01:12:12 PM
Nascar is far more popular in America than F1

similar gig.  the more complicated, nuanced, disciplined sport just doesn't sell as well to Muricans, and especially not if they gotta pay cash money to see it

Nascar ratings peaked 20 years ago and F1 is making a big US push.

F1 itself is a highly messed up league, and a lot less fun than its 60s-80s golden age imho.

To defend American sports a bit, Euro sports are dominated by leagues where the top teams spend ridiculously more money than the teams they compete against, in a way that makes MLB look like an even playing field. Think it's a hard sell to get Americans to watch something where the identity of the engine matters more to the results than the identity of the driver.

MDS

american sports fans are by and large hypocrites. in real life they are capitalists, in the sports world they want a level playing field between green bay and new york.

its not a 1 to 1 comp because our country is bigger and has many major pro sports outlets versus euro which by and large has 1, but there, some teams' victory is simply being in the big boy league. the victory for whatever small team that gets to the PL and gets to face manchester united is simply being in the league and facing manchester united. that type of mentality doesnt sell in cinncinati, even though it should
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

europes favorite sport is soccer which auto excludes from any sports conversation and their favorite past time is throwing banana peels at Africans ....they make des moines look cultured
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

so to get this straight, the guy who hates america and actively roots against american sports teams believes his countrys sports culture is actively superior to others

ok

Geowhizzer

MDS

athletic doing some layoffs

sports business people are gone and looks like a writer or 2 from each market. rich hoffman, the sixers guy, is the one from philly. his stuff was fine, but im not sure how theyre going to function without someone covering the sixers.

phattymatty

Come to our national website for the best local sports coverage seems to be a great strategy. 

What is their niche now if they're firing local reporters?

QB Eagles

I'm pretty sure that concern has never made a profit.

MDS

they seemingly got rid of a reporter in each city at random...sixers, mariners, bengals, pirates, canadiens. just totally random, im not even sure if there was a reason behind each move.

im in for the eagles/phillies guys and the decent other random stories that pop up. if gelb or the eagles guy go then ill be out. still worth it to me to throw them $$ so they can do their thing.

PhillyPhreak54

Massacre day at ESPN

Van Gundy
Kolber
McShay
Jalen Rose
Kellerman
Keyshawn
David Pollack
Matt Hasselbeck
Steve Young

All out.

QB Eagles

The top 5 in that list are shocking to me. If the legends Van Gundy and Kolber can be touched, anyone can.

PhillyPhreak54

Agreed.

I can see trimming the fat on guys like Keyshawn and a few others. But to see JVG and Kolber get shown the door is surprising.

Pollack too because of Gameday's popularity.

McShay had some health issues and had been pushed back a bit in recent years.

PhillyPhreak54

NYT is disbanding its sports department

LA Times is stopping the publishing of box-scores, scores, standings and game coverage. They'll only have columns and human interest pieces.