Phillies season 10

Started by MURP, September 24, 2005, 11:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MURP

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Geowhizzer

Clemens' hammy must really be injured for him to miss a start now.  I wonder if he may miss more than that.

Opportunity beckons for the Fightins!  :yay

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Geowhizzer on September 24, 2005, 11:55:09 AM
Clemens' hammy must really be injured for him to miss a start now.  I wonder if he may miss more than that.

Opportunity beckons for the Fightins!  :yay

He's a hoyda.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

BigEd76

A postgame quote from Charlie:

Quote"It's like Yogi Berra said....it ain't over until the fat lady sings."

??? :-D

BigEd76

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

Here's the article that Phreak was talking about:  Howard is starting.

QuotePhillies Notes Howard's stock gets a boost
Even with a lefty pitching, he'll probably start tonight.

By Todd Zolecki
Inquirer Staff Writer

CINCINNATI - Could one at-bat make such a difference?

Maybe.

The game-winning grand slam by Ryan Howard off Atlanta's John Foster on Wednesday not only represented his first major-league homer off a lefthander, but it might have made him a more serious rookie-of-the-year candidate.

And it might have even earned him a start against a lefthander this weekend at Great American Ball Park.

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said before last night's game against the Cincinnati Reds that he expected to start Howard tonight against Reds lefthander Eric Milton. He said it was because of the way Milton pitches, referring to his release point among other things. But in reality, it was probably because Milton has allowed 40 home runs and because the Reds' park is a bandbox.

"It's all a matter of getting experience against lefthanders, just trying to get used to it," Howard said. "It's just being patient."

Recently, Manuel has started Ramon Martinez at first base against lefthanders because Howard is batting just .119 (7 for 59) with 30 strikeouts and five RBIs in his career against lefthanders.

"It's really all about seeing the ball and getting comfortable," Howard said. "I'm not even worried about it."

Howard's stance has changed in recent weeks. He is standing more upright, with the idea that it lets him see the ball better.

So far, so good.

"I'm still kind of searching for whatever feels good," Howard said.

NL East anybody?

The Phils' chances of winning the National League wild card look better their chances of winning the NL East, right? Well, Major League Baseball thinks they have enough of a chance to win the East that it held a coin flip yesterday to determine the site of a potential one-game playoff between them and the Braves.

The Phillies entered last night four games behind the Braves with nine to play. If the teams are tied on Oct. 2, when the season ends, they will play on Oct. 3 at Citizens Bank Park.

Abreu hurting.

Bobby Abreu's left thigh is so sore that Manuel had some concerns about the rightfielder's chances of scoring from second base on a single Thursday in Atlanta. Don't be surprised if he is replaced by a pinch-runner in some key situations.

No Martinez. The New York Mets said Pedro Martinez won't start against the Phillies on Tuesday at Citizens Bank Park if they are mathematically eliminated from postseason contention. That is likely.

Phillies Notes

Last night's Phillies-Reds game ended too late for this edition.

For coverage,

go to The Inquirer's

Web site at http://go.philly.

com/phillies.

Tonight's Game

Phillies (Brito, 1-1) at Reds (Milton, 7-14), 7:10.

PhillyGirl

Abreu is such a slacker. He hasn't missed a game all year and now he's whining about his leg that he can barely walk on?

How dare he!

Lazy farg just doesn't want to run hard.

MDS

Abreu doesn't care if he wins. He cares about his numbers and getting his paycheck.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: MDS on September 24, 2005, 02:14:55 PM
Abreu doesn't care if he wins. He cares about his numbers and getting his paycheck.

I know...he completely didn't run hard enough on that single the other day...even IF he was limping terribly and looked like he was in a world of hurt. He just doesn't care at all.

Did you see that lame attempt at arguing those terrible strike calls? NO veins popping out of his next, no spittle, nothing!

Lame. Slacker.

MDS

Did anyone get their playoff tickets yet? I'm in for game 3  :paranoid

PhillyPhreak54

Astros won 8-3. Thanks Dusty & Zambrano...farg heads.

Pat Burrell shaved his head and Harry is lusting over "a guy who doesn't have to do anything to make himself look better". But since Harry is a player with the over 50 crowd, he knows all about impressin the ladies.

Brito's gotta come up huge tonight.

MDS

Wheels used to hook Harry up with interested ladies at games  :-D

Brito cant throw strikes right now  :boom

Eagles_Legendz

Or last game either.

Why isn't Tejada pitching?  I have far more faith in him than I do in Brito.