2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 02, 2008, 06:14:49 PM
STL is playing with smoke and mirrors.

what are the phillies playing with?

the main difference btwn st louis and the phils is the manager...st louis has arguably the best manager of all time and the phillies have one of the worst in the majors
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Tony LaRussa is overrated.

When they were playing the Mets last week there was 2 runners on base (2nd and 3rd) with the score 8-5 in favor of the Cards. He has the BP up and warming but yet he let Isringhausen hit with 2 outs. Then he takes him out of the game for a new pitcher. The Mets tied it up and the game went deep into extras.

The reason he's been successful is Dave Duncan.

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

And if Charlie did what he did in that situation, the one you had no comment on, you'd be on fire.

ice grillin you

so because larussa made some random bad move the other night that means a guy that has won multiple world series is to be compared to a guy who butchers games on a daily basis

i personally think larussa might be the best manager of all time but even if you dont i dont know anyone except you phreak that thinks hes overrated...hes a brillaint baseball guy thru and thru

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 02, 2008, 07:14:10 PM
so because larussa made some random bad move the other night that means a guy that has won multiple world series is to be compared to a guy who butchers games on a daily basis

i personally think larussa might be the best manager of all time but even if you dont i dont know anyone except you phreak that thinks hes overrated...hes a brillaint baseball guy thru and thru

I have seen quite a few people who think he's overrated and are turned off by his attitude that seems to think he invented the game or that he's smarter than anyone else in the game.

I'm not comparing him to Charlie, I'm saying that if Charlie does that he's killed. LaRussa does it and you don't care.

I believe most of the credit goes to Duncan.

Anyways, Blanton pitched pretty damn good tonight. The offense has been quiet though and only have 3 hits, 2 of the solo shots by Dobbs and Choke.

ice grillin you

larussa is a hall of famer...i dont think anyone thats ever been in any hall of fame in any sport is overrated

frankly trying to downplay his accomplishments and using a pitching coach whos has never managed a single major league game in his life pretty friggin outrageous

PhillyPhreak54

Have you seen that pitching staff? And pitching staffs in the past? He's a miracle worker.

ice grillin you

hes a great pitching coach i agree...but that doesnt make tony larussa overrated as a manager

is bobby cox overrated because leo was his pitching coach...leo was a train wreck as a manager

who are some great major league managers because they were also good pitching coaches

PhillyPhreak54

I think Bobby Cox is good. But Mazzone had a lot to do with it. But Cox just seems different to me than LaRussa. More consistent and less of a know-it-all smug bastich.

LaRussa is accomplished, yes. But also somewhat overrated, IMO.

ice grillin you

aaaaah you hate larussa because hes a pompous dick...cant argue with that...but you gotta seperate your hate of him from his managerial abilities which are top notch

QB Eagles

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 02, 2008, 06:26:05 PM
so theyve beaten one over .500 team since may...actually better than i thought

They obviously had a brutal June, but they've taken 2/3 from both St. Louis and Arizona within the last month, and they've got a shot at doing it against St. Louis again.

They have been less than impressive against the Marlins and Mets, and they've been terrible against the AL. Baseball's a streaky game, if they catch a hot streak going into the playoffs, there's no reason they couldn't have as much success in the playoffs as Colorado last year. Or they could have another month like June and miss the playoffs. They are still very much in that jumble of NL teams with a shot. Beating the AL team, that's a different story.

Geowhizzer

They needed another stud pitcher.  Hmmm... Sabathia is 5-0 with Milwaukee.  Freakin' MILWAUKEE.

ice grillin you

Quote from: QB Eagles on August 02, 2008, 11:16:43 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on August 02, 2008, 06:26:05 PM
so theyve beaten one over .500 team since may...actually better than i thought

Baseball's a streaky game, if they catch a hot streak going into the playoffs, there's no reason they couldn't have as much success in the playoffs as Colorado last year.

i love you guys

PoopyfaceMcGee

1.5 clear of the Marlins and alone in first.

Bandwagon's rollin' out again, son.  Best hop on while the hoppin's good.