2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Wingspan

Has utley had a hit with a runner in scoring position since the all star break?

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyPhreak54

BigEd76

4 games back in the loss column for both the Mets and Brewers

and now the Astros are tied with them

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

yeah thats embarrassing...and also an indication that no matter who is the gm here they will never be successful until new ownership arrives...

its absolutely worthless to ever criticize a phillie gm because whatever grade you give them has to be done on a huge scale

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

ha farging chuckles blaming the fans for the teams zestyness

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 11, 2008, 08:14:15 AM
its absolutely worthless to ever criticize a phillie gm because whatever grade you give them has to be done on a huge scale

That statement was valid 5 years ago, not now.

They have one of the higher payrolls in the league. the ineptness stems from the lame duck GM ignoring a weakness...or just not going out and making this team better when they were treading water with a division lead. The phils chose to start the season with Adam Eaton, Tom Gordon, Ryan Madson, and Chad Durbin in their bullpen.

The offense collapsed under the strikeouts of choke dawg in the first 3 months of the season, and now due to the total lack of any kind of clutch hit from choked dog since the all star break.

The ownership is non existent, and really a non factor right now as far as money goes. This season is on the back of the crap fed to us by the GM, and the total lack of focus of the $50M infield. The GM ignored the fact that they needed another top starter, and tried to sell us on Tom Gordon, and Ryan Madson again... they threw in Chad Durbin, but he can not pitch under any kind of pressure...just like Madson.

farg em.

You don't lose two of three to the marlins and nationals and expect any sympathy of the fans.

Oh...and charlie should be fired on the spot for that comment on the fans. It won't happen, but it should. The team has shown nothing but contempt all season, I don't expect that to change in the next two week.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

i hate choke dog more than anyone but utley has been worse this year and for that matter burrell as well

you can criticize a gm on the phillies for indivuidual moves particularly in the offseason before they hit their budget mark...but as for in season moves and specifically trade deadline deals thats all on the ownership because they determine who can be aquired and who cant...they also effect those moves because of the lack of spending on the farm system which is what allows you to go out and have the ammo to get a sabathia...theres also the issue of the phillies not wanting to bring up people like carrasco because they dont wanna waste service years so instead you gotta throw out people like kyle kendrick and ja happ in a pennant race

imo gillick can be destroyed for a move like garcia but you can never truly blame any phillie gm for not making moves to put the team over the top because the ownership is not willing to go over the top to win

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 11, 2008, 09:53:30 AM
i hate choke dog more than anyone but utley has been worse this year and for that matter burrell as well

choke dawg = ryan howard
choked dog = chase utley
Connection Problems

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 11, 2008, 09:53:30 AM

Agreed, aside from his fast start Utley has been average which isn't good enough if you want to hit in the 3 hole and want to be considered the best player in the league at your position. Burrell is a 1/2 year guy. His 1/2 year happened to come in the first half this season.

As far as blaming ownership they're not the ones that traded for Blanton over Harden, signed Eaton, Barajas, Helms, Jenkins, and traded for Garcia. Gillick seems to operate better with small budget players like Werth, Dobbs, Durbin, etc. than he does when he actually has money to spend. He's been a horrid GM and I can't wait till he leaves. And lets save the "wait till Amaro gets in office" comments till he's actually hired.

reese125

even so are Phillie fans really supposed to be believers because Amaro steps in...or any GM for that matter?

all of these GM's hired are puppets under greedy, un-enthusiastic owners that are padding their slacks pockets every year.

Sure, Amaro or whoever can make little moves here and there, but it will take coin to take bring in "real" players to change the dynamics of this team and win the World Series, and that is something a new GM will have no control over regardless

ice grillin you

yup...the gm of this team will forever remain irrelevant until new ownership comes in

reese125

and the Phillies team as a whole we be irrelevant until Matt Stairs steps up and proves he can be the leader of this team

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: reese125 on September 11, 2008, 11:44:24 AM
and the Phillies team as a whole we be irrelevant until Matt Stairs steps up and proves he can be the leader of this team

I laughed, but I don't think you should read too much into it.