2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

I'm sick of the "stay competitive" bullcrap.  The Eagles have fostered that retarded philosophy for years and look what it's gotten them.  Nothing.

Just go for the big one this year and then worry about next year next year for a change.

SD_Eagle5

QuoteReport: Phillies sent a scout to watch Roy Oswalt
Although he is not believed to be on Houston's trading block, several teams – including the Yankees, Angels, Braves, Mets and Phillies, sent scouts to watch the right-hander, according to MLB.com. [link]

Oswalt is under Houston control through 2011 and is earning $13M this season. The deal includes a no-trade clause and an option, however, and goes up to $14M in '09, $15M in '10 and $16M in '11. His numbers have dropped off sharply this season (5-7, 5.06 ERA, 83 ERA+), thanks to 17 homers allowed, fourth most in the National League and one away from matching his career high for a season. The Astros (33-39) have lost seven in a row and have fallen 12 games behind the Cubs in the NL Central.

Beerleaguer: Hey, Ed? Would you like to be reunited with your 2004 first-round draft pick? Sounds like scouting for scouting's sake. The same article reiterates the Phillies' search for left-handed relief, which appears to be deep with candidates. MLB Trade Rumors lists Colorado's Brian Fuentes, Pittsburgh's John Grabow and Damaso Marte, Cincinnati's Jeremy Affeldt and Kansas City's Ron Mahay among the candidates.

For what it would take to get Oswalt and considering the numbers on his deal I'd rather they trade for Sabathia and re-signed him. Oswalt has some innings on that arm and could be Freddie Garcia part deux.

ice grillin you

trade clearwater lakewood and reading for oswalt sabathia burnett and marte
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

The Phillies gained half a game on both Atlanta AND Washington last night.

This is an incredible run.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

Geowhizzer

Geowhizzer

ice grillin you

Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 20, 2008, 07:24:14 PM
Santana looks to have good stuff tonight.

everyone does against utley

and he had his day off yesterday its friggin baseball how many days off do you need...i love when utley blows he needs a day off but when burrell or howard blow they need to be sent down to aaa or benched

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 20, 2008, 07:32:10 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 20, 2008, 07:24:14 PM
Santana looks to have good stuff tonight.

everyone does against utley

and he had his day off yesterday its friggin baseball how many days off do you need...i love when utley blows he needs a day off but when burrell or howard blow they need to be sent down to aaa or benched

One hasn't shown the propensity of slumping like this nearly as often as the other two.  You do the math.

Speaking of Burrell, he just missed that one.

ice grillin you

two are power hitters one isnt

choke went rookie of the year to mvp to a big year last year...you know im not even a howard guy and im not saying that anything needs to be done with utley hell snap out of it....but the double standard btwn utley and everyone else on the team is insane and im not talking about you...your post just brought it up again...it happens all the time the on blogs and wip and the newspaper websites...its always utley needs time off while the other guys need to be crucified

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 20, 2008, 07:40:43 PM
two are power hitters one isnt

choke went rookie of the year to mvp to a big year last year...you know im not even a howard guy and im not saying that anything needs to be done with utley hell snap out of it....but the double standard btwn utley and everyone else on the team is insane and im not talking about you...your post just brought it up again...it happens all the time the on blogs and wip and the newspaper websites...its always utley needs time off while the other guys need to be crucified

I've never said to crucify the other two.

Howard, unfortunately, has regressed since is incredible first two seasons.  He's become a hitter not unlike Thome during his time here:  incredibly inconsistent, but with great raw power when he's on.  To me, he insists on pulling off the balll, trying to yank everything down the line.  When he's hitting well, he'll hit a lot of his homers to left field.  He finally seems to be getting out of that funk right now, and he could get hot and stay hot all summer.  There's probably another deep and hard slump along the line, though.

Burrell has just never quite become the hitter that he seemed destined to be during his first couple of seasons.  Personally, I think his foot injuries took a lot out of him for a few years running.  It's got to be hard to hit well and consistently if you don't have a solid base.  Also, he tends to internalize the criticism he gets (and I agree, he gets way too much) and presses, which sometimes just makes his slumps worse.  To his credit, he's been more consistent this year.  How much of this is because of being more healthy and how much is due to being a contract year is anyone's guess.  I'd say a bit of both. 

I'm not sure what is wrong with Utley (injury or just mechanics way out of whack), but I think he needs a couple of days to work out the kinks, work on his swing without the pressure of the game, and try to come roaring back.  A scheduled day off isn't going to do that - he needs "park days" to work with the coaches.  Hell, maybe get his eyesight examined. He's looked too much like Geoff Jenkins and not enough like Chase Utley for far too long now.