2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

All the talk of tossing in that article made me uncomfortable.

BigEd76

ice grillin you

pretty cool

PHILADELPHIA -- Mike Lieberthal never wanted to leave the Phillies, and now he's going to leave baseball as a member of the organization for which he spent most of his career.

The former catcher, who spent 13 of his 14 Major League seasons in Philadelphia and holds the franchise record for games caught, before playing his final season in 2007 with his hometown Los Angeles Dodgers, will officially retire as a Phillie on June 1.

The last player to end his career in this manner was Doug Glanville in 2005.

"Philadelphia has always been a second home to me, so I'm really looking forward to this," said Lieberthal in a statement. "I spent half my life there and still follow the team closely on television."

That became a running joke with members of the Dodgers last season, who routinely pointed out that Lieberthal had the Phillies game on in the clubhouse, and always followed their exploits.

When the Dodgers came in last season, teammate Randy Wolf, who played with Lieberthal with the Phillies and Dodgers, said, "I follow [the Phillies] at a safe distance. He tailgates."

Originally selected by the Phillies as the third overall pick in the 1990 First-Year Player Draft behind Chipper Jones (Braves) and Tony Clark (Tigers), Lieberthal caught 1,139 games for Philadelphia, despite seven trips to the disabled list.

In 13 seasons with the Phillies -- he debuted on June 20, 1994, fitting, against the Dodgers in Los Angeles -- Lieberthal hit .275 with 150 home runs and 609 RBIs in 1,174 games. He batted .234 with one RBI in 38 games.

A two-time All-Star (1999-2000), Lieberthal became the sixth catcher in to hit .300 with 30 home runs in a season, something he did in 1999. He was the first Phillies player to reach those numbers in the same season since Mike Schmidt in 1981.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

I always liked Leiberthal, he was a good guy, who had 1 too many knee surgery's to be effective.

Got to love the philly fan base that hated the guy because of contract someone else offered him.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Wingspan on April 29, 2008, 09:42:42 AM
he was a good guy, who had 1 too many knee surgery's to be effective.

or not enough knees

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Wingspan on April 29, 2008, 09:42:42 AM
I always liked Leiberthal, he was a good guy, who had 1 too many knee surgery's to be effective.

Got to love the philly fan base that hated the guy because of contract someone else offered him.

My Dad took me to a baseball card show at the Holiday Inn in Neshanimy when I was 14 and he was there signing autographs. He was only 18 and had just been drafted so there was no line. We chatted with him for about 10 minutes and he was just really cool.

ice grillin you

SD_Eagle5

I tried but my pops told me it was inappropriate. oh well.

BigEd76

Wolf will be pitching on Thursday.  I guess the Wolf Pack will make an appearance?

Geowhizzer

I always liked Lieberthal as well.
He was probably the second or third best catcher in Phillies history behind Bob Boone.

phattymatty

Sgt PSN

Isn't this the same board that used to trash the hell out of Lieberthal on a daily basis? 

ice grillin you

i always hated him....classic west coast laissez faire attitude pissed me off to no end...that being said i think its cool what hes doing now

phattymatty

SunMo

Quote from: BigEd76 on April 29, 2008, 10:18:18 AM
Wolf will be pitching on Thursday.  I guess the Wolf Pack will make an appearance?

hopefully some more of them die in car wrecks
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.