2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

BigEd76

MDS

baseball is played outside. if old people and frontrunners in florida dont like it, they shouldnt have a team. or a state.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

The thing about Rollins, and with Howard too, are they are guessing too much and that gets the out of whack.

Rollins looks like he's trying to take pitches to work counts. Then he'll fall behind and start swinging to either foul balls off (try) and end up swinging at a bad pitch.

Howard has to get it through his brain that he will not see fastballs for the most part. Slider, change, slider, curve...he's so far out on his front foot and leaning towards LF its crazy. SO when he does get a goddamn BP "heater" he cannot pull the trigger.

A little help here, fellas.

And the Rays are still being hailed as winners. "Big Game James" Shields (what'd he do to earn that nickname?) was being fellated all over the radio and TV today.

Shields is Rowand's cuz....for whoever cares about pointless info.

PhillyPhreak54

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/oct/22/s6-baseball-primer/

Are you farging shteintin me?!? I mean...come on.

QuoteA Tribune staff report

Published: October 22, 2008

So you're new to baseball and looking to follow the World Series?

Here's an explanation of some terms you might hear.

BATTING AVERAGE: The standard numerical measure of a player's ability at the plate. It is calculated by added three zeros to the number of hits and dividing by the total number of at-bats. An season average of .300 is considered excellent, while .400 has only been achieved by eight batters since 1900 (the last time in 1941 by Ted Williams, who batted .406).

CAUGHT LOOKING: A batter who takes a third strike and is called out, often because he was expecting a different pitch than the one thrown.

CLEANUP: The fourth batter in the lineup, usually one with power, because he is expected to clean the bases of any runners with a home run or extra-base hit.

CLOSER: A relief pitcher specializing in recording the final out (or outs) of a game to preserve a victory.

CUTOFF MAN: A fielder who intercepts a throw from the outfield, usually to prevent a runner from taking an extra base or to hasten the throw to a base.

DOUBLE PLAY: A routine but difficult play in which the defense gets two outs with one pitch.

EARNED RUN AVERAGE (ERA): The statistic representing the number of runs a pitcher allows per nine innings (27 outs). It is determined by dividing earned runs by innings pitched, then multiplying that number by nine. Example: A pitcher has worked 47 innings during the season and has allowed 14 earned runs. 14 divided by 47 times 9 equals 2.68 ERA.

HIT AND RUN: The base runner tries to move from one base to the next. It is the batter's obligation to protect him by putting the ball in play.

HOT CORNER: Third base.

K: The symbol in a scorecard for a swinging strikeout. A backward K is used to indicate a called third strike.

LONG RELIEVER: A pitcher expected to work three or more innings in a game.

ON DECK: The batter due up next. He stands or kneels in the on-deck circle between the dugout and home plate.

PITCHOUT: A ball intentionally thrown high and wide when a steal is expected, to prevent the batter from hitting the ball and to place the catcher in a better throwing position.

RALLY CAP: A cap worn inside-out or backward by superstitious players hoping to start or extend a rally.

SEVENTH-INNING STRETCH: The time when the home-team fans rise and stretch before their team comes to bat in the bottom of the seventh inning. Legend has it that it began in 1910 when President William Howard Taft stood the stretch and the crowd, believing he was leaving, stood as well out of respect for the office.

STOLEN BASE: A runner who successfully advances a base without the ball being put in play.

SUICIDE SQUEEZE: A runner on third breaks for the plate as the pitcher delivers. The batter bunts the ball. If executed correctly, there is virtually no way the runner can be tagged at the plate.

UP THE MIDDLE: A ball hit back past the pitcher, over second base and into center field.

UTILITY PLAYER: One who can play several positions and usually doesn't start.

Geowhizzer

BANDWAGONER:  You, if you need this article to get through the game.

PhillyPhreak54

QB Eagles

SD_Eagle5

damn Mexicans singing the National Anthem, stealing American jobs

ice grillin you

would someone care to explain to me how james shields is a big game pitcher...so much so that he has a friggin nickname for it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Its a stupid nickname, but given to him in the minors. EIther way, lets not use it up in the bigs considering he's pitched in about 2 big games.

zesty 1st inning. Rollins popping up...

Werth's error cost them two runs. Pena's ball is a DP with the guys on 1st and 2nd.

Come on, iceholes...wake up.

ice grillin you

i really really hate shane victorino...hes got the iq of a sperm whale

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

Greg Dobbs and Shane Victorino...thank you!

Goddamn, this is nauseating to watch.

0-3 w/ RISP so far; 0-16 overall.

Way to go, bitches.

Geowhizzer