2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Quote"The challenges were that there were high expectations that we could win in 2003 and 2004 and 2005," Wade said. "There was criticism because we weren't as aggressive as people thought we should have been at the trading deadlines. But the reality is that in order to do the types of things that some were clamoring for us to do we would have had to trade people like Utley and others."

No, Ed. YOU wanted to deal Ryan Howard for Kip Wells and Ted Lilly.

Pipe down, smacked ass.

Rome

Hahaha.  Utley's name never once came up publicly in any sort of trade scenario.  For him to even mention Chase's name just goes to show what a complete farging jackass he is.

And the more I think about it, I'm almost 100% sure that Gillick's mentioning of him was a PR move more than anything else.  Because there's no farging way he deserves more than a passing mention credit-wise.

PhillyPhreak54

I think his name came up once.

When Oakland was looking to deal Hudson and Mulder.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 17, 2008, 03:22:18 PM
sd must be losing it right now...im not sure who he hates more wade or gillick...but they 1 and 2 on his most hated people ever

lol

Wade/Gillick only had 11 years to get it done. I've always tried to praise Wade for the way he drafted, but his trades, signings, and extensions were among the worst in the league. I credit Gillick for Lidge, Dobbs, and Werth. I criticize him for Eaton, Barajas, Helms, Garcia. They both get partial credit over 11 years. Good for them.

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 17, 2008, 06:15:09 PM
I think his name came up once.

When Oakland was looking to deal Hudson and Mulder.

Talking to yourself while drunk doesn't count big fella.

PhillyPhreak54

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3645889

Quote"I don't know if I understand what's really taken place here," said Jamie Moyer, the only member of this team who actually attended the parade of the one World Series championship in Phillies history. "I don't know if it's really sunk in. I know we're going to the World Series, but it hasn't sunk in."

With eyes watering, Moyer began to tell the story of what it was like to be a kid in high school in October 1980, skipping school to watch the champs parade down Broad Street.

"I remember people hanging from the street lights and the trees, and toilet paper all over," Moyer said. "And everybody was your friend. A half a million people were all friends."

Quote"We always had good players, but we just couldn't seem to put it together," said Rollins. "There was always a piece missing."

But as the pieces began to fit together, in the winter of 2006-07, it was Jimmy Rollins who stepped forward to change everything. He did it with one little quotation:

"We ARE the team to beat."

The reverberations that erupted that day are still rumbling all these months later. And as the Moet & Chandon dripped down his face Wednesday night, Jimmy Rollins thought back to the moment those prophetic words flowed from his vocal cords. If he hadn't said them, he honestly believes this World Series journey might never have arrived.
  • Enlarge
    Ryan Howard

AP Photo/David J. Phillip

Ryan Howard had three hits in the Game 5 win that secured a trip to the World Series, thus helping a new group of Phillies put its mark on the franchise.

"People thought I was crazy. Put it that way," Rollins said. "Even some of my teammates. That's the way it always is. People believe, but no one ever wants to say it. No one ever wants to make a statement and put himself out there. So I knew, when I answered the question, it was going to resonate in this clubhouse. And that's what I wanted. I really wanted to catch these guys' attention.

"This was an organization that wasn't used to winning. So saying things like that was definitely out of the ordinary. ... But no one ever really said anything to catch guys' attention. And I thought maybe we need to change that a little bit."

People thought at the time he uttered those words to throw a lightning bolt at the Mets. But what he really intended was to throw a jolt into another clubhouse -- his own. To raise the bar. To change the mindset. To transform the brain waves when it came time to play The Big Games.

"That's what we had to do -- change the way we approached the game, changed the way we thought about it," Rollins said. "We were always a team with talent. We were always a team of underdogs. We were always a team that ran the bases well. But I wanted to be known as a team that WINS well."

Philly Crew

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 30, 2008, 09:33:24 AM
i dont believe in karma anywhere much less message board karma but if it exists this can only bring the bad kind

and if he acvtually deleted his own thread because of this hes a worse person than you

Thank you Sun Mo Karma!
I'm bringing sexy back

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

mpmcgraw

Quote from: Rome on October 17, 2008, 06:01:07 PM
Hahaha.  Utley's name never once came up publicly in any sort of trade scenario.  For him to even mention Chase's name just goes to show what a complete farging jackass he is.

And the more I think about it, I'm almost 100% sure that Gillick's mentioning of him was a PR move more than anything else.  Because there's no farging way he deserves more than a passing mention credit-wise.
Good god you are wrong about everything. 

We offered a trade for Zito and Beane said ok i can has chase utley plz?  and Wade turned him down.

His name was actually thrown around a couple times.

PhillyPhreak54

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3650057&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

QuoteWerth: Signed as a free agent for $850,000 in December 2006, after the Dodgers non-tendered him. Gillick was the GM in Baltimore when Werth was the Orioles' first-round pick in 1997, then kept his eye on him throughout Werth's frustrating battles with wrist problems in 2005 and '06. Werth has gradually worked himself into an everyday right fielder, and this year hit more homers (24) than Justin Morneau and David Ortiz, and had a higher slugging percentage (.498) than Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Pena

QuoteMoyer: Another August trade (in 2006), another trade for a player Gillick went way back with, to their days in Seattle. Moyer was 43 when the Phillies traded for him and was viewed by some folks as being close to the end of the trail.

Well, apparently not. Since then, he has exactly the same record (35-21) as Josh Beckett and Carlos Zambrano. In fact, only six pitchers in baseball have more wins than Moyer since that trade.

MDS

So if Gillick slapped his nuts on the table, you'd just go ahead and suck them? Would one hand be to tickle and the other to fight of Easy?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

Either way... win the thing at home. Tropicana Field is a disgrace and I've got some bad memories of a World Series dome game.