2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

or a 12 year old kid from bumfarg delaware who just last week stopped having accidents on the carpet  trying to talk about shtein way above and beyond his knowledge level
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Die-Hard on October 16, 2008, 08:29:19 AM
Congratulations fellas...

Mets fan or not, Im thrilled to see the city celebrate this - even if its the only Philly team I dont like. As much as it will pain me to see the Phils win the Series; not because its the Phils, but because its not the Birds, Flyers or Sixers I know how great it is for the fanbase and how amazing a parade down Broad would be...

Im sure y'all think this is all in sarcasm, but I'll be very quietly rooting for you guys...my Philly love is too strong to not do so..

Thank you, sir.  Quite classy.

Seabiscuit36

Appreciate it DieHard.  And i hate how Munson brings down the whole state of Delaware. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyGirl

Quote"I don't know if I understand what's really taken place here," said Jamie Moyer, the only member of this team who actually attended the parade of the one World Series championship in Phillies history. "I don't know if it's really sunk in. I know we're going to the World Series, but it hasn't sunk in."

With eyes watering, Moyer began to tell the story of what it was like to be a kid in high school in October 1980, skipping school to watch the champs parade down Broad Street.

"I remember people hanging from the street lights and the trees, and toilet paper all over," Moyer said. "And everybody was your friend. A half a million people were all friends."

And then somehow, in 2006, the world spun and brought him back to his hometown, to a team that was still trying to figure out how to win these kinds of games. And a couple of weeks later, he found himself in the middle of a team meeting, telling his new friends about that parade -- and laying out a dream for all of them, to reach a parade of their own someday.

"And now we're one series away from being on the floats in that parade," Moyer said. "It's amazing."
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

It sure would be a nice bonus if Moyer finds his groove in the World Series.

SunMo

yeah, brett myers in game 2 of the WS is more than likely to literally explode on the mound from excitement, so they'll need moyer after that.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

he might run into the stands and start smacking bitches
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyPhanInDC

QuotePhilly will be left in ruins
By T.J. Simers

Los Angeles Times

ANGRYVILLE, Pa. - You spend any time in this dingy city and around these folks, and pit bulls running wild come to mind.
Fine when leashed, but set them free, put a beer in their grubby paws, and it's only a matter of time before they're going to go on the attack - both the home team and its opponent feeling the bite.

It's an angry place, all right, everything old here in Philadelphia, crumbling and in ruin. Even the city's main attraction has a crack in it.

So the prevailing opinion around here is you have to be an obstinate pug to make it in Philly, the football team tough, the hockey team a bunch of bullies, and the Phillies rugged competitors like Larry Bowa.

This is supposed to make Philly an intimidating place to play, Bowa telling the media Wednesday that if the Dodgers thought Chicago was bad, "they're going to be in for a rude awakening" playing here.

"It was like a West Coast crowd in Chicago," said Bowa, the Philly in him unable to keep himself from slapping Dodgers fans, and apparently discounting the manner in which Nancy Bea Hefley can whip a Dodgers crowd into a frenzy.

But if a Philly crowd is so intimidating, as Bowa suggests, why do the Phillies lose here so often? A year ago, the Phillies became the first pro sports franchise in North American history to lose 10,000 games.

Philly has always been more bark than championship bite, so why should the Dodgers give a hoot about folks who paint their faces and then have to drive home looking like sad clowns?

The Dodgers have the better team, a destiny date in Boston, and while that might make the folks in Philly miserable, they don't know how to act any differently here.

Funny thing, too, this series will probably come back here for Games 6 and 7, and there's nothing more disappointing than getting that close to a World Series only to trudge out of the stadium wondering what went wrong.

The Phillies get the first two games here, their best pitcher in Cole Hamels starting against Derek Lowe, who is pitching for a new contract next year, as much motivation as any pro athlete can have these days. Advantage Lowe.

Brett Myers, who has more losses than wins, then takes on Chad Billingsley, and the Dodgers look pretty good to win one of the first two games. A sweep is not out of the question, especially if Matt Kemp opts to rejoin the Dodgers.

"I didn't care that I went 0 for 4 with two strikeouts when we clinched, because we won," Kemp said. "But I'd like to contribute, too. And adding an extra bat might help make a difference.

"I just need to calm down. I saw all those towels waving, and I got excited and said to myself, 'I just have to get a hit.' The same thing happened in Arizona earlier this season, and I made the adjustment."

Kemp failed to come through with the game on the line in Arizona one day, regrouped, and the next delivered the winning hit.

"It was my best at-bat of the season. I was in a zone," he said. "I need to do that again. All those towels waving got me nervous. I'm emotional, but I think that last series helped me."

OK, so if Phillies fans show up waving towels, maybe the Dodgers go only 1-1 before returning to Dodger Stadium on Sunday.

But then it really turns ugly for the Phillies, who can throw only 100-year-old softball pitcher Jamie Moyer at the Dodgers and then just another guy in Joe Blanton.

The Dodgers hitters weren't much earlier this season, but even at their worst, they feasted on pitchers like Moyer and Blanton.

Now, as long as the Dodgers don't get into a slugfest in Games 3 and 4 and lose the advantage of playing a team that can do no better than Moyer and Blanton, there's no reason why they can't be sitting in L.A. with a three-games-to-one advantage.

Three playoff wins in L.A. might be asking for too much, though, from a Dodgers team that doesn't figure to be as good as the Phillies in close games down the stretch. But leaving L.A. ahead, 3-2, makes everyone at Fox hoping for an L.A.-Boston matchup feeling pretty good.

That would take the series back to the city that just isn't quite up to the standards of New York or Boston, the Dodgers needing one more win in this angry place.

Now, as intimidating as Philly likes to think it is, could the Dodgers come up with one win in Game 6 or Game 7 to move on?

"If it comes down to that," manager Joe Torre said, "we can get one more win."

So there you go. The Phillies lose again. But then, what's new?

farg you bitch. Suck a cock. Wonder what he wrote this morning???

I've been farging wacky all morning. I am making plans now to be in Philly to watch the games in town, most likely from a bar. I feel like a kid.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Rome

I'm so tired right now I can barely function.  My director walked in this morning and said, "what are you doing here?"

:-D

MDS

it was farging nuts out there tonight, its gonna be 1000x better if they win the series. you arent in philly when they clinch, youre doin yourself a massive disservice.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhanInDC

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

phattymatty

Quote from: PhillyGirl on October 16, 2008, 09:41:27 AM
Quote"I don't know if I understand what's really taken place here," said Jamie Moyer, the only member of this team who actually attended the parade of the one World Series championship in Phillies history. "I don't know if it's really sunk in. I know we're going to the World Series, but it hasn't sunk in."

With eyes watering, Moyer began to tell the story of what it was like to be a kid in high school in October 1980, skipping school to watch the champs parade down Broad Street.

"I remember people hanging from the street lights and the trees, and toilet paper all over," Moyer said. "And everybody was your friend. A half a million people were all friends."

And then somehow, in 2006, the world spun and brought him back to his hometown, to a team that was still trying to figure out how to win these kinds of games. And a couple of weeks later, he found himself in the middle of a team meeting, telling his new friends about that parade -- and laying out a dream for all of them, to reach a parade of their own someday.

"And now we're one series away from being on the floats in that parade," Moyer said. "It's amazing."

haha jamie moyer was in high school in 1980. 

Seabiscuit36

Zanshin

Who here went to the parade in '80?  I was in third grade, it was a day off from school, and it was awesome.  If the Phils pull this thing out, I'm going to have to come down to take my boy to that parade....if only for old times sake.

rjs246

I was almost three and living in California. I remember it well.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.