2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

anyone who thinks they shouldnt have made the playoffs last year is nuts...that was one of the greatest philadelphia sports moments of my career....ill never forget it

as for last night...i am once again beyond furious with charlie.....why the farg did he pitch hit jenkins...forget the fact that no one was on with two outs and that theres little chance this team is goin to get two straight hits...forget the fact that it was only the seventh inning...it farging took their best pitcher on the roster (excl. lidge) this year out of the game forcing you to go with madson to hold the lead in the 8th...youre up one go with durbin in the 8th and lights out in the 9th...what the farg

the entire year hes played for defense late with a lead by taking burrell out of every game...then last night with a late lead hes out of nowhere playing offense for some reason...offense when this team hasnt hit a lick for over two months...hes just beyond belief

btw durbin needs to be moved into the set up role...give madson the 7th
victorino to the lead off spot
choke to whatever team will take him...outright release him if you have to...i farging cant stand that guy
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

Helping pat gillick clean out his office would be considered an offseason success.

Charlie should be fired if they miss the playoffs, but that won't happen, so no use in whining about it.

Getting rid of the entire bench minus dobbs would be a nice start, including both catchers.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah, I like Durbin and all...but have you seen what he's done in the 8th this year? Call it a coincidence or whatever, but he's sucked there too. He's money in the 6th and 7th, but crap in the 8th.

And Jenkins doubled...which should have meant Jimmy could accidentally drive his ass in but Jimmy was too busy going 0-4 again.

Anyways....Chuck wants King to face the Mets...Dubee is crying about it...

QuoteHamels may be shuffled to face Mets

By MIKE FINNEY
The News Journal

PHILADELPHIA -- Phillies manager Charlie Manuel is intrigued by the idea of moving his pitching order around so that staff ace Cole Hamels would take the mound against the New York Mets in a two-game series next Tuesday and Wednesday.

The luxury of having an off day last Monday just might give Manuel that chance.

However, he was noncommittal before the Phillies took on the Nationals on Wednesday night, even though his team trailed the Mets by 11¼2 games in the National League East.

Hamels (10-8, 3.22 ERA) is scheduled to pitch against the Dodgers on Saturday afternoon. The left-hander made his last start on Sunday in the Phils' 2-1 win over San Diego and would have to move up in the rotation to get a shot at the Mets.

"I think about things like that and there are some things that we'll talk about," Manuel said.

"If we can do something to help us win a game, then I think that's what it's all about."

Pitching coach Rich Dubee seemed to be against moving the staff around.

"It's not going to happen," Dubee said.

He pointed to the fact that Hamels currently leads the National League with 181 2¼3 innings pitched.

Dubee doesn't want to take any chances that a change in routine might hurt Hamels, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Aug. 22 last year due to a mild left elbow sprain.

Manuel can understand Dubee's concern, but he didn't rule out moving some pieces around.

"We've got a lot of things to talk about," he said. "Believe me."

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 22, 2008, 09:04:24 AM
Yeah, I like Durbin and all...but have you seen what he's done in the 8th this year? Call it a coincidence or whatever, but he's sucked there too. He's money in the 6th and 7th, but crap in the 8th.

no chance you typed that with a straight face

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 22, 2008, 09:04:24 AM
Anyways....Chuck wants King to face the Mets...Dubee is crying about it...

They have to show a sense of urgency here.  Yay Charlie.

MDS

igs the 8th inning is an abortion. durbin sucked when he was in that role in LA, Madson got lucky not to blow it in SD and obviously blew it last night. there is no right answer there, it just so happened they were forced into madson because they had to pinch hit for durbin the 7th.

and if they make a change with hamels pitching it has to be in the next few hours. also itll be great for the manager to shut down what his pitching coach wants for one of his pitchers. im sure the 2 fat old guys will fight about that one.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

the offense has scored 3 runs or less in 40.2% of games this year
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

mpmcgraw

Nope.

The fact that he has no recognition of strikes and balls or when to take it the other way though is.

MDS

23-36 against teams over .500 in the NL, if you factor in teams from the AL they are 27-47 (I'm considering Oakland over .500 because they played them before Beane gave up). Wow.

Factor in this:
Tuesday they scored 5 runs, the Nationals handed them 3.
Wednesday they scored 4 runs, the Nationals handed them 3.
Thursday they scored 3 runs, the Nationals handed them 1.

So that's 3 games, 5 legit runs, with 2 coming off homers that would only be hit at their bandbox of a ballpark. That's coming off a series where they scored 6 runs against the Padres.

To recap: they have played the 2 worst teams in baseball the last 6 games. While they have gone 5-1 in that stretch, the offense has scored a mind boggling 11 legit runs in those games.

Terrible.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

BigEd76

Madson's 8th inning last night was more bad luck than him being awful.  Zimmerman's grounder to Bruntlett hits the base and goes straight up.  Milledge gets jammed and bloops a single over Howard's head.  Flores ties the game with a weak grounder up the middle just out of the reach of Madson.

That being said, blowing three 8th inning leads in the last 9 days sucks ass, especially when the Mets keep winning...

ice grillin you

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

Quote from: BigEd76 on August 22, 2008, 12:54:41 PM
Madson's 8th inning last night was more bad luck than him being awful.  Zimmerman's grounder to Bruntlett hits the base and goes straight up.  Milledge gets jammed and bloops a single over Howard's head.  Flores ties the game with a weak grounder up the middle just out of the reach of Madson.

That being said, blowing three 8th inning leads in the last 9 days sucks ass, especially when the Mets keep winning...

ice grillin you

so charlie gets a pass because chad durbin of the 1.70 era supposedly can pitch in any inning but the 8th but madson gets blamed for some tough breaks