Training Camp Report For 09 August

Started by PhillyPhreak54, August 09, 2005, 04:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Today was a nice day to be a spectator up there...not hot at all and overcast most of the day. It was raining on and off on the way up there and with the way those fields drain (poorly) and them being wet from yesterday I pretty much knew TO wouldn't practice at all because of that - and he did not practice today. I saw goeagles99 and daigglesfan up there and it was nice to meet daiggles and watch football with goeagles99 to pick his brain.

TO, Sam Rayburn, Ryan Moats, Correll Buckhalter, Bruce Perry, Rod Hood, Jamaal Green, Sean Considine and Darwin Walker did not practice. I have no idea why Walker didn't practice. The only one of thos injured guys who was out there at all was Ryan Moats. The rest of the guys were inside getting treatment, I suppose.

1. Matt Ware had another rough day. However, I do not think Ware is 100%. The very first day (last Wednesday) Ware did not practice because of his right knee. These last few days he has not been able to really explode into his coverage. He is also wearing a brace on his knee. So I wouldn't worry about Ware looking bad. I just think that knee is bothering him.

2. Greg Lewis was fantastic today. He was all over the place. He caught a deep seam route from Donovan that was a thing of beauty.

3. Reggie Brown, like Lewis, was fantastic. He is making tough catches in traffic, running crisp routes and just flat out looking good on the field.

4. Billy McMullen didn't have a bad day, but they really didn't give him a lot of balls. The ones that he did get thrown to him were caught, but he just didn't see a lot of activity from the QBs. He was in on formations a lot, but just didn't get a lot of looks. He was releasing nicely from the line and beating press coverage though.

5. L.J. looked solid once again. He had one bad drop, but other than that he continued to have a strong camp. Towards the end he was taking a knee for awhile so I don't know what was up with that. Whether he was feeling sick, cramping up or just resting so the others could get reps.

6. Todd Herremans looked only OK today. goeagles99, who watched practice with me, pointed out that he was leaving himself open to outside speed rushers with the way he stands in his stance. He was beaten a few times today by guys, but it's not like he stunk. He just didn't do as well today as he did the other few days.

7. Jon Runyan, like LJ, seemed to be taking some time off today during the end. Calvin Armstrong was playing 1st team RT. Runyan looked OK because he was standing up talking to Bartrum a lot. So maybe the coaches were just looking at a lot of the younger guys today. I don't know.

8. Justin Jenkins had, in my opinion, his best practice today. He was another guy who was all over the place.

9. You can tell that they're short on healthy RBs because in the early warm-up drills Robert Redd was playing a little HB. He didn't do it in the live drills or team drills, but they had him catching a few balls with RBs today.

10. Dexter Wynn had 2 INT's and was making plays. The first INT was where he was covering Reggie Brown underneath with safety help over the top and he leaped up and picked off Donovan. This was in the 7-on-7's. His second INT was down the right sideline and I couldn't see who he was covering.

11. Quintin Mikell had a nice practice. He also had an INT that was a great catch.

12. Stephen Spach is still running as the #2 TE and he had some nice grabs. Nothing extraordinary today, but solid.

13. James Whalen stunk today. A few balls clanged off his mitts that were easy catches.

14. Artis Hicks had a very nice block on Trotter. He pancaked Trot on a TE screen pass to the left.

15. They were running that TE screen to LJ quite often today. I think we saw it about 7 times today.

16. Westbrook was himself. You can tell he has fresh legs because he is just doing what he does best - make people miss and get into open field.

17. Jason Short is one aggressive SOB. You have to love his mentality. He flattened James Whalen on one play where Whalen tried to block him.

18. Reno Mahe continued to have a solid camp. Despite the wisecracks about him sometimes, he really has played well enough to earn a roster spot and contribute in whatever way he can. A jack-of-all-trades but master of none type guy. I don't know if he'll make it here because of the 3 RB's, but he has proven that he should have a job somewhere, IMO.

19. The defense outplayed the offense today. I thought it was a very sloppy day for the offense. There was too many bad passes, drops & pressure allowed. The offense looked very crisp the other days I was up there but today was just a defensive day.

20. Donovan was on target most of the day. He threw a few balls that sailed on him, but two of them came when he was rolling out to avoid the pressure. His pass to Greg Lewis was great though.

21. Detmer, McMahon and Andy Hall all had rough days. McMahon and Hall more than Detmer. But like I said, the offense was not at its best today.

22. Hollis Thomas & Mike Patterson were the 1st team DTs since Simon is still dreaming of millions at home and Darwin Walker wasn't out there. Hollis played well as did Mike. They're both having great camps. The DT position is one of strength for sure.

23. Greg Lewis was coached up and talked to quite a bit by Andy Reid himself. Greg would talk to him often and they looked like they were joking around a little bit too.

24. Chris Samp probably has no future here, but these past two days he has shown that he has some nice hands. He makes catches.

25. The offense tried a few trick plays today. A few HB option passes as well as WR option passes.

26. Lito Sheppard had a nice INT early on. It was a tipped pass and Lito went up and grabbed it. He was in good position and made a nice play on the ball.

27. Sheldon Brown was his usual physical self. In goal line drills he knocked down a few balls that were attempted slant routes. I like to watch him position himself between the receiver and ball. Nice instincts. But we all knew that.

28. Jeremiah Trotter & Mark Simoneau were the nickle LBs with Matt Ware the nickle CB.

29. Trent Cole got pressure a few times and probably could've called one of them a sack were hitting the QBs allowed. He had his left elbow taped up pretty good after yesterdays contusion to it.

30. I'm starting to like Trey Darilek at C. He is still the 2nd team C and the more I see him there the more I prefer him there versus at T or G.

31. Hugh had some pressures and a "sack" today as well. You can tell Hugh is being Hugh because he'll knock off for awhile and then turn it up and get after guys. Him and The Freak do that a lot...especially in DE positional drills.

32. ND Kalu looked as he has all camp - quick and solid. I am impressed with ND's recovery.

33. Jon Ritchie had a nice catch in goal line drills and like Kalu, shows no real ill effects from that injury.

I really didn't have too good of a spot today as far as viewing the entire drills (we were in the endzone) so I could not see a lot of stuff like I could the other days. Unfortunately this was probably my last day up there since it is done on Saturday and I work the rest of the week.

But I have like what I've seen the times I was up there. Other than today the offense looked crisp and smooth. I guess today was just a bad overall day for them. Individuals looked good, but as a whole I'd call it a little sloppy. In 6 days they'll get to hit another color jersey and that'll be the next step in evaluating this team. If Reggie Brown, Greg Lewis & Billy McMullen continue to show what they have over the last 3 or 4 days, I wouldn't sweat the loss of Pinky like I know some people are. Greg Lewis looks ready to fill that role, maybe even better than Todd. We'll see.

I'll be checking out shortly because I have to work tonight, but as always feel free to ask any questions in case I missed anything. I'll be checking back in later tonight too.

Oh yeah...I said this yesterday and I want to say it again today. This is a deep team, y'all. There are going to be some good football players cut from this roster. Just watching the 3rd and 4th stringers make plays like they have, it tells me a lot. Not a whole lot of messing up. Not a whole lot of screaming by the coaches for guys screwing up. They go out and get the job done no matter who is in there.

MURP

awesome report as usual.   :yay

man, with Koy/McMahon/Hall playing like crap these preseason games are  going to be even uglier than years past.  if that is possible!  :-D

PhillyGirl

Thanks Phreak! :)

Just an FYI...Walker wasn't feeling well, they have him listed as missing practice due to "illness".
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 09, 2005, 04:18:44 PM
Thanks Phreak! :)

Just an FYI...Walker wasn't feeling well, they have him listed as missing practice due to "illness".

Ok, good news.Thanks... I was wondering where he was. I didn't see him with the DL and now I know why. :)

rjs246

That report sucked!

Just trying to mix things up. This love fest makes me sick.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

Quote from: rjs246 on August 09, 2005, 04:20:47 PM

You'll eventually lose your gag reflex.

The man. The myth. The legend.

T_Section224

gag reflex, HA.

nice report phreak.  must have been interesting being there with ge99, he's non-stop eagles talk from what i remember from the tailgate.
Proud Sponsor of Mike Bartrum

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: rjs246 on August 09, 2005, 04:20:47 PM
That report sucked!

:-D

I love you too, RJS. Jerk. :-*

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: T_Section224 on August 09, 2005, 04:25:00 PM
gag reflex, HA.

nice report phreak.  must have been interesting being there with ge99, he's non-stop eagles talk from what i remember from the tailgate.

Oh yeah, for sure. I love talking football with him. We were even talking about the "wonderful" early 90's, Barry Wilburn, Roy Green, James Lofton and other washed up scrubs who played in Philly. A trip down bad memory lane.

Daiggles is a cool guy too. He was in the bleachers though with his nephews. We all went and had lunch afterwards and they went back for the afternoon session since they drove up from NC & VA.

DH

Great job Phreak...I wish I was able to make it up there this year.

How many of those picks did 5 toss?

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Die-Hard on August 09, 2005, 04:39:27 PM

I think only 1 - the first one to Dexter Wynn. The others were courtesy of our slop ass backups.

I wish you could've made it up too, but we'll just have to tailgate harder at the Linc to make up for it.

rjs246

Booooo, Phreak and his lengthy, in-depth reporting!
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Tomahawk

Quote from: rjs246 on August 09, 2005, 04:52:19 PM
Booooo, Phreak and his lengthy, in-depth reporting!

It's better than your use of a smaller font in your posts. Hell, even smilies are better than that.

However, as much as I would like to congratulate Phreak on a hell of a report, I can not until pictures of sweet assed women are posted.

PoopyfaceMcGee

DH

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 09, 2005, 04:48:00 PM
Quote from: Die-Hard on August 09, 2005, 04:39:27 PM

I think only 1 - the first one to Dexter Wynn. The others were courtesy of our slop ass backups.

I wish you could've made it up too, but we'll just have to tailgate harder at the Linc to make up for it.
No doubt, brotha.

I'll probably have tix for a few games for you...