TO pissed off the Eagles fans again

Started by BigEd76, August 07, 2005, 08:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Philly.com

QuoteEagles Fans mad that Owens fails to show at autograph session
By Shannon Ryan
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - They love him. They hate him. They cheer him. They chastise him.

Terrell Owens, the Eagles' controversial wide receiver, transformed a few more of his faithful into haters today when he skipped out on signing autographs with the rest of the receivers at training camp at Lehigh University.

Many fans wearing No. 81 jerseys left the autograph tent grumbling like players unhappy with their contracts. Instead of snagging Owens' autograph, they had settled for paper helmets with the signatures of Greg Lewis, Billy McMullen, Justin Jenkins and others on them.

"I'm ticked," said Latoya Hopkins, 18, who had driven from Delaware in her T.O. jersey in hopes of having it signed. "I'm so mad. He shouldn't get a new contract now."

The Eagles said Owens was receiving treatment for an inflamed groin that had kept him out of practice for two days.

Owens did practice today, and fans who had gotten tickets to pass through the autograph tent thought it going to be their lucky day. Then, after the morning workout ended, they saw Owens take off his shoulder pads and run for the fieldhouse.

Fans attending the afternoon session did not seem to hold anything against Owens. They cheered for him when he caught a long touchdown pass from quarterback Donovan McNabb. They yelled his name so that he would turn toward them and smile for pictures.

A year ago at this time, Owens was adored by the fans who flocked to Lehigh, and he played up to them at every opportunity. Thus began a love affair that lasted until shortly after the Super Bowl.

Owens' support started to erode when he demanded that the Eagles rework his contract, then seemed to target insults at McNabb without naming him.

Although they directed a few boos at him on the first day of this year's camp last week, fans seemed to have mostly forgiven him. They had been singing the "T.O." cheer, wearing replicas of his jersey, and applauding his every reception.

Now they are again singing a different tune. Or at least those who had hoped to get his autograph yesterday are.

When Tim Miller woke up, he had thought that his once-in-a-lifetime chance to meet Owens was slim. After he drove 20 minutes from Upper Macungie, Pa., to Bethlehem, he saw Owens practicing and thought that maybe it would be his day after all. Then he got a ticket to move along the row of receivers where Owens was supposed to sitting.

"We were sky-high," Miller said.

But when the turn arrived for Miller and his 9-year-old son, Zachery, to get signatures, all that was in Owens' place was a No. 81 jersey.

"It was a diamond-in-the-rough [chance] to meet him, and he stepped on it," Miller said.

When asked if the excuse that Owens was getting medical treatment was good enough, Serge Oros said no.

"He was practicing," said Oros, from Newtown, Bucks County, who had brought sons Shane, 6, and Craig, 4, with him. "He would still be able to come for a limited time. It's wrong. It's disappointing."

Some fans said they had stuck by Owens while others were turning on him. Now Michael Klassen might be down on him, too.

"He's letting the fans down," said Klassen, who had brought his 5-year-old son, Aidan, with him from Hummelstown, Pa. "With all the trouble he's caused, you'd think he'd be here."

WEST is GOD

I love how they always mention the age of the fans to try to gain sympathy.

"Little Timmy, 5, was devastated that TO didn't sign his football."

Mommy should backhand little Timmy.
THIS SEASON IS OVER AND ANDY'S WORLD IS GRIDL

Offseason needs: 2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 OL, 2 LBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 KR.

ice grillin you

yous arent actually defending TO here are you???
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

WEST is GOD

I'm hatin on little Timmy, because I'm tired of his bitching.
THIS SEASON IS OVER AND ANDY'S WORLD IS GRIDL

Offseason needs: 2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 OL, 2 LBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 KR.

BobbyT

I can't wait till the season starts to get over this crap.
"And with 1:16 remaining this place is in a state of shock!"

BigEd76

General_Failure

Quote from: TO is GOD on August 07, 2005, 08:39:23 PM
I'm hatin on little Timmy, because I'm tired of his bitching.

On this we can agree. Let there be celebration and drunk chicks dancing!

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

Just a stupid, stupid article.  The Inquirer should be ashamed.

General_Failure

Yeah, that's really more of a Daily News kind of article.

BigEd76

It was a lead story on SportsNite too, complete with angry kid with poster, angry guy in his 30's with a bowling ball and angry generic fan with Greg Lewis autograph.....

General_Failure

Generic fan's angry? Wow, this is serious.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: BigEd76 on August 07, 2005, 08:44:35 PM
It was a lead story on SportsNite too, complete with angry kid with poster, angry guy in his 30's with a bowling ball and angry generic fan with Greg Lewis autograph.....

If anyone should be pissed off it's Greg Lewis. 

"What's wrong with my autograph, you big jerks?"

BigEd76

I don't think Lewis knows how to spell "autograph"....

General_Failure

ice grillin you

I don't think Lewis knows how to spell "autograph"....

lol

he reminds me of the retarded dood benny from la law...but more circa dark night of the scarecrow
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous