Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

On behalf of workers, we're not eager to be in your house either.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Unfortunately I worry that too many of them are less like you and more like "it's just the flu" but hopefully I'm wrong hah
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Quote from: Rome on September 05, 2020, 02:55:14 PM
$325 for the whole house (2,400 SF, 9 rooms).

That's not horrible

Rome

It's higher than some and lower than others.  The system they installed is fantastic.  Nice kids too.  I tipped the hell out of the installers and they were mystified.   Evidently the shteinbag deplorables down here rarely tip. 

PhillyPhreak54

Oh they gives tips alright "go back to yer country"

General_Failure

Don't forget those fake 20s that tell you to go to megachurch.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Munson

What type of floor transition piece should I get for a carpet to hardwood transition? My wife does not want a metal one, so wood it is, but didn't realize there was so many different types. I went to Lowes and they had a whole bunch of strips there but the guy I asked told me they don't have carpet to hardwood transition strips in store, you have to order them.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

They don't make those.  No one has a carpet to hardwood transition.

You'll have to call a carpenter and pay him $600 to make you one out of a tree his grandfather planted.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

As long as it matches your hardwood, you don't trip over it, and it's secured properly, you're good.

Munson

I still haven't figured out how to post pics from my phone, but we have a roughly 20 foot tree that we want to get trimmed/pruned back to where it was when we first moved in. Guy from Davey Tree gave us an estimate of $1360 which seems high to me. I know I'm probably paying for their professional arborists stuff, and the guy did say it's kind of a tricky job because the way the tree was trimmed before/the way it has grown, there's not like a good central part of the tree to anchor to when trimming the upper branches so I assume charging more for that too.

Worth it at that price?

PhillyPhreak54

It may be a smidge high but tree removal shockingly is expensive.

You're paying for them to get it down safely without knocking power lines over or puncturing your roof.

Plus stump removal and all that jazz.

I'd get a couple quotes to see how it stacks up.

Diomedes

Not a shockingly high price in my opinion at all.  Of course, I'm a contractor, so it's in my interest to con you poor fargs into thinking that's a fair rate. 

But yeah, sure.  Workman's compensation insurance for tree workers is about as expensive as it gets and you don't want anyone on your property performing tree service if they don't have it.  Sure you can have your cousin's guy do it...until one of the wage slaves he's lined up gets hurt, and ain't covered, and he's no good for it, so the lawyer who's talking to the injured guy's wife is looking at, and going to get, your house (or the equivalent.) 

Anyway, call maybe one more outfit, a like one.  Not your cousin's guy.  Bartlett, for example.  See what they say.  There's really no such thing as a free estimate, so don't shop around like you're offering anyone an opportunity to get rich, or to get their foot in the door anywhere.  It's a small job with very little profit.  So just get a pro in and pay whatever they charge.

Geowhizzer

Psssssh... Cut that damn thing down yourself.

phattymatty

As a fairly unhandy person yet getting better since I have been a homeowner, how high are the odds of electrocuting myself doing the following?

1. Replacing a fried circuit breaker
2. replacing some ugly ceiling fans with new ones
3. replacing some ceiling lights with new fans
4. Turning some light switches into dimmer switches

My only electrical experience has been replacing a garbage disposal myself which was surprisingly very easy.  In the past I paid professionals for this kind of stuff but just wondering if I should even attempt these myself.

As I write this out seems like a pro could probably knock these all out in a couple hours whereas it will take me forever.

General_Failure

Flip the breaker off for all but the first one and you're fine. For replacing the breaker itself, just don't touch anything besides that breaker and you'll be fine. They pop right out of the box and it's just one wire.

If they're old fans, they're probably going to be a hassle to take down alone.