Get advice from smart people on medical procedures

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, January 12, 2011, 02:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Your puns are still sharp, so that's nice at least. 

SD

I've been sick since Monday. At first I thought I just picked some sickness up due to being around so many people while I was on vacation. Then I noticed this huge lump on the left side of my thigh a few days ago. It's clearly a mosquito/bug bite. Every day I get more sick. Since I was in Florida I'm wondering if I contacted the Zika virus (not kidding).

PhillyPhreak54

SD

PhillyPhreak54

How would you know you're not dying from the Zikaaids

Tomahawk

Susquehanna Birder

Squirt some breast milk on it, and you'll be fine.

PhillyPhreak54

Eagaholic

Redness, heat, swelling and pain are the signs of infection so if the lump has all of these it is likely infected. If so, it's up to you whether you stick it out or go to the doc for antibiotics. But if you also get fever/chills and such it can mean it is becoming systemic. Bottom line is if you have the symptoms of both local and systemic infection I'd get it checked out, sepsis can get serious quickly. Better for the doc to check it out, even if tells you it's just a bad hangover and you are hallucinating things growing out of your skin.

Butchers Bill

Maybe it's like a jellyfish sting. PM me your address and I'll come piss on it.
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

SD

Quote from: Eagaholic on May 18, 2017, 06:15:05 PM
Redness, heat, swelling and pain are the signs of infection so if the lump has all of these it is likely infected.

It's infected. It doesn't really hurt but it's red and swelling. I feel roughly the same but my fever has gone down from 102.5 to 101.1. Since I don't listen to my body I've still been going to the gym like an idiot. I've read up on the virus, it usually goes away on its own, it's not treatable, and very few people actually did from it. I'm gonna ride it out.

Munson

Jesus dude just go to the doctor lol. Don't farg around with infection or disease.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagaholic

Quote from: SD on May 18, 2017, 08:23:55 PM
Quote from: Eagaholic on May 18, 2017, 06:15:05 PM
Redness, heat, swelling and pain are the signs of infection so if the lump has all of these it is likely infected.

It's infected. It doesn't really hurt but it's red and swelling. I feel roughly the same but my fever has gone down from 102.5 to 101.1. Since I don't listen to my body I've still been going to the gym like an idiot. I've read up on the virus, it usually goes away on its own, it's not treatable, and very few people actually did from it. I'm gonna ride it out.
SD, it's not Zika, viruses don't behave like that. It is very likely bacterial cellulitis. It is good the fever has gone down some (assuming you aren't using tylenol or something similar) and hopefully the lump is getting better, too. If it were me though, with MRSA and all kinds of other drug resistant shtein out there I'd definitely get a script tomorrow. If it doesn't markedly improve tonight you could be at risk for needing an iv antibiotic, labs, follow up visits etc. based on the limited info you've described.

Diomedes

Quote from: Butchers Bill on May 18, 2017, 08:08:28 PM
Maybe it's like a jellyfish sting. PM me your address and I'll come piss on it.

Excelent form.  Brief.  Solid A.

Quote from: Munson on May 18, 2017, 08:30:50 PM
Jesus dude just go to the doctor lol. Don't farg around with infection or disease.

Party foul.  This thread is for smart people, not doctors.  Don't farg around with smart people (or their smart friends).
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Morons. The lot of you. (But I like the oblique reference to my awesome friends that are awesome.)
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.