The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Better get that fixed - I started sweating thinking about having no ac.

MDS

currently snowing in del rio...which is like west of san antonio and directly on the border

high school mascot? the rams

be honest you were curious
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

We have sleet here. It's 25 right now with a feels like of 17. Tuesday morning it'll be around 7.

It was rainy earlier this morning so the roads have been wet all day. It's going to be a shtein show. Already a 20 car pile up tonight on one of the toll roads:

We got all our shtein yesterday. I went out this morning for more beer and it was like a hurricane was coming in the grocery store. I made chili and we have been Netflixing. Crime Scene The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel is pretty good.

Geowhizzer

84 here today.  Winter can't touch Naples.

PhillyPhreak54

shteins getting wild here...for southeast TX.

We had intermittent sleet all night and the dam broke loose around 1am. Now we have full blown thunder snow going on.

I fell asleep in my chair and went into bed but am wide awake now watching the storm.

Diomedes

bad scenes abound down there...

FIL is in Weatherford....lives in a double wide....no heat...no electricity...2 degrees outside.  no generator, etc.  Elderly, stage 4 prostate cancer, lives with his wife (healthy physically) and MIL (ancient). 

Gonna be a lot of dead people from literal freezing to death, and from carbon monoxide poisoning
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Yes.

Right after my last post we lost power. It's still out. People have died from carbon monoxide poisoning from try to heat stuff inside.

The failure on the power companies is huge. Them and the texas government are at fault for not having enough energy secured for the grid.

Some people's power is coming back. It's getting down to the 40s inside our house. Today was sunny and some melted but it'll re freeze tonight and we have more freezing rain coming.

We drove around a bit bc we went to my gf mom house and places that had power were packed. Line of 100+ to get into Walmart. Fast food places are 50 cars deep.

What complicated things is that cell service is intermittent. In our house only my gf can text. None of mine go through and neither of us can access the Internet.

We have plenty of food and booze. At night we lock ourselves in my office with a lot of candles and watch a movie on my iPad (almost dead) and play scrabble.

Hopefully the farging hilbillies running the power companies get their shtein together.

Rome

Texas is the only state in the union that controls and operates its own power grid.  I hope you and yours are ok, Jay.   As someone who lives in a backwater shteinhole, I (and Geo too) can certainly empathize. 

Geowhizzer

Total leadership failure in Texas.  This is from the (now former) mayor of Colorado City, Texas.  Holy shtein.

Took the image from this link.

PhillyPhreak54

Holy shtein. That's amazing. farg that guy. I actually can get my phone to load at the house. How long will it last I don't know. But I'm to the point where I'd beat that guys ass if I saw him. I'm frustrated. And cold. Sleeping in two pairs of sweats, two pairs of socks and a shirt and hoodie isn't fun. I woke up this morning stiff as a farging board.

Thanks for the well wishes Romey. We are deregulated here and a thing called ERCOT regulates the grid and they have failed. They've jacked price up to high that some companies cannot afford to get power to give to their customers. If they do they'll pass it along to the consumer (hello four figure power Bill) or if they don't pass it they cannot afford to buy power and it'll bankrupt them. So residents get farged. And it'll shock everyone to know that Ted Cruz and Dan Crenshaw don't give a farg. I'm supremely pissed off. Ercot knew about this impending weather and they didn't do shtein to prepare the grid.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

shtein. That got us beat by far lol

We got power back about an hour ago. I don't expect it to be on for long. We are soaking up the heat and Internet while we can - and charging everything for when it goes down again.

The more I think about this the angrier I get. A total failure on many peoples parts.

General_Failure

How fast did Home Depot sell out of portable generators?

Twitter is saying El Paso is still on the national grid and has power.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

I don't know much about ELP - that's about 700 miles from here (funny bc that's the same distance from Chester County PA to Chattanooga TN - the first leg I drove when moving down here).

They could be since they're so far away from everything else.

Most of the stores were closed Monday and Tuesday. No one could drive because of how bad the roads were. Although I did see some opening up when we went over to her moms this afternoon. Lines were 50-100 deep at fast food places, gas stations and WalMarts. Ridiculous.

The news showed a line at Home Depot and mentioned generators but it'll start getting back to normal temp wise on Saturday. I'll be in shorts this weekend.

I said this before and this reinforced it - when I build my place it'll have a generator. It's worth the 8-10k to have one built in. Between the hurricanes and times when these fargs can't keep the power grid going it'll pay for itself.

PhillyPhreak54