The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Miss destroyed Eskin and drove him off the air. They rolled out the cuz and he didn't do much better. Overall wip has more listeners but in the key time slots and the demographics that matter to advertisers the fanatic has them beat. Radio is all about the advertising $$$$ who has better overall numbers from 12-2 is irrelevant.

ice grillin you

I could care less how much advertising corporations are getting....i dont even care that one local show might get more listeners....im just glad that the legend still has more listeners overall by a lot...this is surprisingly good news....I love that philly cant be bought by espn's worldwide machine....farg espn
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

farg Angelo. Dude is a loudmouthed douche.

Missanelli is a loud mouthed douche too, but he's also somewhat literate and spits real about things like racism and the like.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 28, 2014, 11:44:25 PM
I could care less how much advertising corporations are getting....i dont even care that one local show might get more listeners....im just glad that the legend still has more listeners overall by a lot...this is surprisingly good news....I love that philly cant be bought by espn's worldwide machine....farg espn

ESPN doesn't own the fanatic...greater media does

MDS

they use the espn name though....nobody cares who "owns" it

if they got rid of the espn name and therefore were allowed to dump mike and mike, so they could come at the legend, it would be different.

to me they are still a rinky dink low-level operation. when you have on air talent like jon and sean, phil from mt airy and bend over backwards to feed wopinelli's ego....what else am i supposed to think?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

they don't just use the name....they have espn shows on there as well....plus tons of espn guests....and sportscenter updates....its basically espn radio with a couple local shows on it

MDS

the espn brand is a huge part of the station...SD can speak to this more specifically, but im sure they use that to their advantage with advertisers and sponsors

it seems fitting that roughly half the people that call into miss' show are cowboys fans....thats who espn attracts. those people.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

exactly....im sure theres a good amount of fans who like non philly teams too...or are just fans of the nfl but not much else much less other philly teams

no chance they have the number of 4 for 4ers that call the legend

I just looked up their programming....they have local shows only from 10am-6pm each day....are their other local shows like missanellis where you get a good amount of non philly sports talk

MDS

i think they have a guy at night.....but its mostly flyers/sixers games

i dont listen at 97.5 a ton but i think they do way more tricks to get people to listen. like games with the callers, little age old tricks. there's definitely less straight sports talk.

SD

Aside from Mike and Mike in the morning and some games there isn't much ESPN. Not sure what other ESPN shows are on there, I don't listen that much. It's 90% local talk shows. Wouldn't call them a 'huge' part of the station. When you walk up to their studios everything is fanatic 97.5, there's nothing saying ESPN. Again, don't care either way who has more listeners unless it's putting money in my pockets.

smeags

Quote from: Munson on December 28, 2014, 11:59:49 PM
farg Angelo. Dude is a loudmouthed douche.

Missanelli is a loud mouthed douche too, but he's also somewhat literate and spits real about things like racism and the like.

the morning show stinks on WIP but one cant deny the listenership is huge. damn i remember when it was brookshire and cataldi. (brookie and the rookie i think ?) was bill campbell on there too ?

as far as the show always being #1 - well thats easy when there was zero competition for morning sports talk for how many years ?

either way i'd still give the WIP morning show the nod over mike & mike. local show > national show

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah as much as I rip on Angelo I will always always always listen to him and WIP over national stuff.

The only thing that I don't like about WIP is sometimes I want to hear college football talk and other pro talk which doesn't happen on The Voice of the People.

But living down here now I am on Sirius all the time...

smeags

i believe burger king was the first guy to do sports talk. think he had a hour long show on weeknights.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on December 29, 2014, 08:19:40 AM
It's 90% local talk shows.

it cant be 90% of the time...they only time they have local talk shows is 10am-6pm....yes they often have games at night but so does every talk radio station in the country....and when they don't have a game 7-10 im assuming its espn radio...then you have espn radio all night then mike and mike in the mornings...im just going off their website but it looks to me that they have local talk shows no more than 33% of the time

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 29, 2014, 09:34:21 AM
The only thing that I don't like about WIP is sometimes I want to hear college football talk and other pro talk which doesn't happen on The Voice of the People.

yeah wip is strictly aimed at 4 for 4'ers big 5 delaware valley shtein...if you want non philly stuff it def aint for you...they dont even give much love to penn state unless someone calls in and specifically wants to talk happy valley

smeags