The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

pats and genos can both fall into a hole...they are gross tourist traps but that fits your bill as an occasional visitor from balmer

im not sure if MM is trying to be controversial....rather hes just an incredible icehole who is insanely full of himself. his fallout at wip humbled him a little bit and he came back very strong against eskin, who was really on his last legs as someone who could carry a daily radio show. as MM rose to #1, he got complacent and lazy and fell into the same holes. innes is challenging him and he cant handle it.

the thing about sports talk is controversy and drama sell. this is why skip and screamin A rule on tv....i cant stand any of it because i have a shred of intelligence but that means im not their target audience
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Quote from: MDS on June 11, 2015, 10:15:22 AM

the thing about sports talk is controversy and drama sell. this is why skip and screamin A rule on tv....i cant stand any of it because i have a shred of intelligence but that means im not their target audience

I'm sure you learned this in journalism just as I learned this in corporate comm and film/tv class lowest common denominator television/radio sells. Both my professors used Jersey Shore as their example. Angelo is a staple in Philly sports, I don't mind his act. He's ingrained forever because of Wing Bowl. His schtick is his schtick and he plays it well. I won't listen to him again until Innes is gone.

MDS

yup...this is a very stupid country that believes what we're told on tv or the radio. i mean, look how many people believe in god or religion. those same people stop believing in santa or the tooth fairy on that the holocaust happened, but they go on believing theres some magic bearded man in the sky listening to them murmur. its asinine but its america.

innes is a giant troll and admits to that. he admits to stealing from stern's playbook because it works. hes 1000% about ratings. doesnt care about sports...the city...anything...just wants to get ratings so he gets his bonus check. the fact that people cant see it doesnt surprise me. youd wish philly would be better than this, but philly is in america and america goes crazy when skip bayless hungry hungry hippos lebron james. sports fans are complete morons.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

smeags

im actually listening to the cuz in the morning, a guy i didnt get on WIP, but because he's not cataldi it's a nice change and i tune in.

it's true drama means ratings and that 's all innes brings to the table, but miss has def become stale. yeah, we get it mikey, you love you some lebron but does every segment need to turn into a king james strokefest ?

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on June 11, 2015, 10:14:58 AM
I used to love the S&M show on WIP with Miss and Fredericks. When Miss first came on the air on 97.5 he was a breath of fresh air. But his act has grown stale. There were a lot of things to like about him a few years ago, he generally liked the same shows (The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Homeland) and same movies, his opinions on sports were decent too...now he 's too involved with civil rights nonsense and Lebron, Lebron, Lebron. 97.5's top rated personality believe it or not is Sal Pal. His weekly spots always have a spike in the listening audience. He was a host there for a while but he wasn't cheap and he had other obligations so he couldn't continue.

Aside from Glen and Ray on the weekends I'm done with WIP until Innes is off the air.

mikey miss used to be more or less gargano...whether you agreed with his opinions or not he was a knowledgable straight forward philly sports guy then he went off the rails
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

and it all started when he slugged his producer...I think that was in 2003 2004?

Munson

I disagree with him going "off the rails"...in fact I'm a little surprised IGY isn't on his jock because he's another white dude that's down with the brothers.

Would surprise me at all if part of the reason why his ratings are down is because he talks about racial issues and the caitlyn jenner thing and etc. and calls the people what they are, bigots. His main listening audience is going to be middle age white people who don't like to hear about that stuff.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on June 11, 2015, 10:15:22 AM
pats and genos can both fall into a hole...they are gross tourist traps but that fits your bill as an occasional visitor from balmer

typical sheep answer....ive never eaten at genos but pats is quality....its not the best but its far from the worst...i love when people judge food by whether tourists go to a place...people in ny do this with the excellent katz's...you judge the food by the food noithing else...

pats steaks are a solid B
their cheese fries are A++
and there isnt a grade high enough for whatever cherry soda they sell

MDS

its mass produced mcdonalds like steaks....the food isnt cooked to order. they have a giant pile of steak sitting on the grill and just shove it in a roll with some cold cheese on top. beyond that the steak isnt good.

but whatever....you like fancy lights and they show pats and genos during football games and stuff so obviously you have to go. when i go to places im not from i tourist it up. no shame in that.

smeags

munson - you may have a point, but maybe the issue isnt that people dont ever want to discuss a non sports subject like race or homosexuality, but people tune into a sports talk station to hear about sports. now, obviously real life and sports cross paths occasionally but why the farg would i want to hear 10 different discussions about bruce/catelyn kardashian ? good for him/her for coming out and becoming what he/her wanted ...no issue with that, at all, but to me miss is just trying to be a contrarian and more importantly it feels fake.

plus again, sports talk.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on June 11, 2015, 10:54:08 AM
its mass produced mcdonalds like steaks....the food isnt cooked to order. they have a giant pile of steak sitting on the grill and just shove it in a roll with some cold cheese on top. beyond that the steak isnt good.

but whatever....you like fancy lights and they show pats and genos during football games and stuff so obviously you have to go. when i go to places im not from i tourist it up. no shame in that.

lol ever been to a philly steak shop before?...tons of spots that stay busy and if they arent always busy then during their rush they have a pile of meat on the grill.....this has basically been happening since the beginning of time newb....pats has been making the same steak for 20 30 40 50 years...nothing is different now that they are a tourist destination

if you dont like their steaks because of the bread or the chopped meat or their onions are too sweet or anything having to do witht he food itself then fine...thats legit...not every place is for every person...but please dont buy into the well tourists go there or its mass produced lol...ive never actually heard that one before or for any other uneducated dumb untruth

sometimes places are or get terrible because they are tourist destinations (hooters) and sometimes places are tourist desitnations cause they serve good food....(pats, katz's, hot dougs)

smeags

i think there are much better options for a steak sandwich than pat's or geno's but i would never refuse either one.

Munson

Quote from: smeags on June 11, 2015, 10:56:29 AM
munson - you may have a point, but maybe the issue isnt that people dont ever want to discuss a non sports subject like race or homosexuality, but people tune into a sports talk station to hear about sports. now, obviously real life and sports cross paths occasionally but why the farg would i want to hear 10 different discussions about bruce/catelyn kardashian ? good for him/her for coming out and becoming what he/her wanted ...no issue with that, at all, but to me miss is just trying to be a contrarian and more importantly it feels fake.

plus again, sports talk.

I think it's a bit easier to talk about national sports stories right now because we're in a really dead period in Philly sports. I mean, I listened yesterday for the first time in about 3 or 4 days and every shows trying to hype up the voluntary OTA's this week hardcore. They're desperate for Philly stuff to talk about but there just isn't much. In those cases, I'm a-okay with Miss talking about national sports issues, especially those that intersect with social issues. But yeah, come training camp and pre-season, I'm sure it'll go back to being extremely Eagles heavy.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

Quote from: smeags on June 11, 2015, 11:11:22 AM
i think there are much better options for a steak sandwich than pat's or geno's but i would never refuse either one.

i will never eat at genos. farg that republican racist group of wops....if i was starving for a few days and out of options id probably do a pats.

smeags

true ... there isnt a whole lot to talk about right now. the eagles opening traing will certainly change that. the phils ? they stink and and discussing the players in the farm system is not going to get ratings. the sixers ? not there yet but i expect that to change next season. the flyers ? meh.

one thing everyone here does seem to agree on is the fact that innes is horrible.