Underground explosion in Center City causes evacuations

Started by PhillyGirl, September 21, 2006, 03:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

3 PM UPDATE: Explosion, Evacuations in Center City
LIVE Chopper 6 Video on 6abc.com
WPVI

PHILADELPHIA - September 21, 2006 - An underground electrical fire and explosion in Center City has led to the mandatory evacuation of two buildings and thousands of people.

It happened around 1:30 p.m. near 16th and Chestnut Streets. PECO spokesman Michael Wood told Action News that a customer incorrectly tried to switch cables, which overloaded the system sparking the fire. Wood said gasses built up causing the explosion. Several manhole covers around 15th Street blew off.

Authorities evacuated two buildings, Center Square and the Graham building. Several other high rises lost power, and thousands of people left those buildings on their own. Authorities did close streets in the area.

Power has been lost to several hundred customers and there's no word when power will be restored. PECO crews are on location trying to fix the problem.

The area is near an underground subway and commuter rail station, but officials with the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority said those services were running normally.

Officials have reported one minor injury.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SD_Eagle5

QuotePECO spokesman Michael Wood told Action News that a customer incorrectly tried to switch cables, which overloaded the system sparking the fire. Wood said gasses built up causing the explosion. Several manhole covers around 15th Street blew off.

What an ass.

mussa

wouldn't want to be around when the manhole covers came down
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

SunMo

As I was going to St. Ives? / I met a man with seven wives. / Every wife had seven sacks, / Every sack had seven cats, / Every cat had seven kittens. / Kittens, cats, sacks, wives, / How many were going to St. Ives?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

General_Failure

You watched Die Hard With A Vengeance tonight, didn't you.

The man. The myth. The legend.