What are you listening to?

Started by MURP, September 17, 2004, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan_Since_64

Quote from: Diomedes on February 17, 2006, 11:26:17 AM

Your taste doesn't strike me as broad, but it's good.  I enjoy all of those albums, especially the Dylan.

I tend to go on tangents. I've been very heavy into Emmylou Harris the past couple of months. Dylan I'm always into, although I tend to jump around from the early, folky years to later material and most everything in between. Ditto the Beatles - I'll go for days just wanting to listen to the later albums, but then will want to listen to early material exclusively, or the psychedelic albums. Beyond that, there are times when I just can't get enough of The Who (I'm about due to go on a Who tangent, I think) or Pink Floyd, or I'll get back to my folk roots with Peter, Paul & Mary or Pete Seeger. Maybe one of these days I'll shock my co-workers and bring in one of my classical CDs.  ;)

I've been trying to expand my horizons a bit - always open to suggestions from co-workers and, ahem, younger friends.

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 17, 2006, 11:52:35 AMTake Me Out - Franz Ferdinand (or whatever the hell his name is)

fixed.  Also, it's the name of the entire band.  They named themselves after the Archduke whose assassination heralded the opening of the Great War.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

Quote from: FFatPatt on February 17, 2006, 11:36:04 AM
Ron & Fez.  These guys are mostly just annoying.

i really like Ron & Fez.  they have a different vibe from O&A, but they are still funny.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Zanshin

Quote from: Fan_Since_64 on February 17, 2006, 12:01:08 PM

I tend to go on tangents. I've been very heavy into Emmylou Harris the past couple of months. Dylan I'm always into, although I tend to jump around from the early, folky years to later material and most everything in between. Ditto the Beatles - I'll go for days just wanting to listen to the later albums, but then will want to listen to early material exclusively, or the psychedelic albums. Beyond that, there are times when I just can't get enough of The Who (I'm about due to go on a Who tangent, I think) or Pink Floyd, or I'll get back to my folk roots with Peter, Paul & Mary or Pete Seeger. Maybe one of these days I'll shock my co-workers and bring in one of my classical CDs.  ;)

I've been trying to expand my horizons a bit - always open to suggestions from co-workers and, ahem, younger friends.

You listen to John Hiatt?  Based on your list, I bet you'd like him.  He's a little of an acquired taste because he's hard to nail down in terms of genre...but he's great.  Excellent lyricist.

mussa

i hate to admit it, but i think allison kraus has the best female voice i ever heard.  her and union station are tight for bluegrass/country.   :paranoid
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Fan_Since_64

Quote from: Zanshin on February 17, 2006, 12:08:21 PM

You listen to John Hiatt?  Based on your list, I bet you'd like him.  He's a little of an acquired taste because he's hard to nail down in terms of genre...but he's great.  Excellent lyricist.

I've heard the name but am not familiar with his work. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check him out! And don't worry, lots of people consider Dylan to be an acquired taste, so I'm inclined to give an artist every opportunity to win me over!  ;)

Wingspan

cat's like the taste of their own buttholes. i would say that's an aquired taste, but i am not about to try it.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

rjs246

Quotecat's like the taste of their own buttholes. i would say that's an aquired taste, but i am not about to try it.

I laughed at this. Mostly because I was picturing you trying to lick your own canhole.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Fan_Since_64

Quote from: Wingspan on February 17, 2006, 02:02:49 PM
cat's like the taste of their own buttholes. i would say that's an aquired taste, but i am not about to try it.

Point taken  :-D
What can I say? Some tastes are worth taking the time to acquire (Dylan!  8) )...and others are the cat's butthole.  ;)

Zanshin

Quote from: Fan_Since_64 on February 17, 2006, 01:45:19 PM
Quote from: Zanshin on February 17, 2006, 12:08:21 PM

I've heard the name but am not familiar with his work. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check him out! And don't worry, lots of people consider Dylan to be an acquired taste, so I'm inclined to give an artist every opportunity to win me over!  ;)

You might want to start with Walk On, Bring the Family, Slow Turning, or The Best of John Hiatt.  I turned Yeti on to Hiatt awhile back, and he seemed to dig it.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: rjs246 on February 17, 2006, 02:13:08 PM
Quotecat's like the taste of their own buttholes. i would say that's an aquired taste, but i am not about to try it.

I laughed at this. Mostly because I was picturing you trying to lick your own canhole.

Then you stroked it. Don't lie.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

rjs246

QuoteThe you stroked it.

That's some quality sentencing, right there.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Fan_Since_64

Quote from: Zanshin on February 17, 2006, 02:22:29 PM

You might want to start with Walk On, Bring the Family, Slow Turning, or The Best of John Hiatt.  I turned Yeti on to Hiatt awhile back, and he seemed to dig it.

Great, I'll add those to my list. Usually, with an artist I'm not familiar with, I'll take the "Best of..." route, and if I like what I hear, then I'll start compiling recommended albums.

hbionic

Quote from: rjs246 on February 17, 2006, 02:39:37 PM
QuoteThe you stroked it.

The that made me laugh.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: rjs246 on February 17, 2006, 02:39:37 PM
QuoteThe you stroked it.

I get a retard award too today. Sweet! /drool
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.