Phillies 2010 Season Thread

Started by SunMo, March 31, 2010, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5396916

QuoteThe Phillies will need a starting pitcher for Saturday, since they sent Monday's starter Kyle Kendrick back to the minor leagues on Tuesday. Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr., who is with the club in St. Louis, hinted strongly to reporters that the Phillies could acquire a pitcher from outside the organization to make that start.

The club might also need a starter for Sunday now, as well, because the tentative pitcher that day, Jamie Moyer, left his start Tuesday after one inning with what was described as a left elbow strain.

At the same time, they were also discussing a companion trade that would move outfielder Jayson Werth to free up money, open a spot for top prospect Domonic Brown and replenish their prospect supply.

On the pitching front, the Phillies have discussed deals involving a number of starters. They've talked about Arizona's Dan Haren, Baltimore's Jeremy Guthrie and Oakland's Ben Sheets, among others. But there were indications they've spent a lot of time in recent days exploring a trade for Astros ace Roy Oswalt.

Oswalt would have to approve any trade, and there were no signs he'd been approached about waiving his no-trade clause or that he'd been told any deal was close. He is also said to prefer to go to a team in the South or Midwest, so there were no guarantees he would approve a deal to Philadelphia.

Many teams have downplayed the possibility Oswalt would get traded at all, because he is owed more than $7 million for the rest of this year and $16 million next year, in addition to either a $16-million option or $2-million buyout for 2012.

However, the Phillies are looking to trade for a starting pitcher they can control beyond this year. And if they were to move Werth's salary (about $3.5 million for the rest of this year) and the Astros pick up several million dollars of Oswalt's money, it would even out the dollars for the rest of this season.

The Phillies also have focused on top-of-the-rotation starters, and Oswalt is the one starter currently on the market who would best fit that description.

While there was no indication the players in any potential trade have been agreed to, the Phillies have shopped last year's rookie-of-the-year runner-up, J.A. Happ, who is currently pitching in Triple-A to work his way back from a forearm strain.

Werth, meanwhile, has slumped badly over the last month. One club that spoke with the Phillies said the Phillies' efforts to trade him have been "growing" in recent days. Among the clubs thought to be interested: the Red Sox, Rays, Giants and Padres. Werth can become a free agent after this season, and the Phillies appear to have just about given up hope that they can re-sign him.

The BIGSTUD

If you can get Oswalt by dealing Werth then you do it without hesitation. Werth has given the team nothing in over a month, they have Brown to bring up, and with Oswalt you have the best top 3 of any rotation in the NL for the next 2+ years since Oswalt is under contract until 2011 and has a 2012 option.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

PhillyGirl

QuoteAt the same time, they were also discussing a companion trade that would move outfielder Jayson Werth to free up money, open a spot for top prospect Domonic Brown and replenish their prospect supply. The Phillies have talked to multiple teams about Werth, but a source indicated Tuesday night that Tampa Bay appears to head the list of interested teams.

This was added to that article Jay posted.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

BigEd76

speaking of Brown

Quote from: Rome on July 11, 2010, 07:54:20 PMbrown is fine, btw.  he chatted up erin andrews and i think she wanted to get naked with him a little.

busted

Don Ho

QuoteAmong the clubs thought to be interested: the Red Sox, Rays, Giants and Padres. Werth can become a free agent after this season, and the Phillies appear to have just about given up hope that they can re-sign him.

I'd love to see who these clubs are offering up.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 20, 2010, 10:58:36 PM
He could be Reid and just say "we're fine" and go with what they have.

Stop it.  I am going to enjoy the next six weeks I won't be hearing that.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyGirl

QuoteTodd Zolecki says this deal could possibly go down within the next 48 hours.

A possible scenario:
Jayson Werth would be traded for prospects, and then those prospects would be sent to Houston for Oswalt.

...Roy Oswalt's next outing is Saturday, the day Amaro said a new starter would be pitching.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SunMo

yeah, it definitely appears they are zeroing in on Oswalt...i'd rather have Haren, but Oswalt will do.  Tampa Bay is said to be leading in the race for Werth.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

charlie

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 20, 2010, 11:49:12 PM
QuoteAt the same time, they were also discussing a companion trade that would move outfielder Jayson Werth to free up money, open a spot for top prospect Domonic Brown and replenish their prospect supply. The Phillies have talked to multiple teams about Werth, but a source indicated Tuesday night that Tampa Bay appears to head the list of interested teams.

This was added to that article Jay posted.

Yup

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

smeags

no way the oswalt move happens. zero chance,

in fact igy said a couple months ago there was (-)1,000,000,000 chance that it would come about.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

PhillyGirl

LBIggle

it's goin to be awesome to watch them get raped by left handers for the rest of the season. though I guess at this point the way werth is hitting it's basically addition by subtraction.

ice grillin you

as good as HOF brown can be one day he will more than likely not contribute much this year...no matter how bad werth has been losing him will significantly hurt the lineup
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous