Chip Kelly - Head Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

Started by Sgt PSN, January 16, 2013, 04:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

The search is over, time for a new thread. 

Also, there's this glowing report from NFL.com

SunMo

Jeff McLane, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
POSTED: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 5:09 PM
Howie Roseman got what he wanted.

In Chip Kelly, the Eagles general manager will have a co-pilot that will stay on his side of the cockpit.

There had been reports long before the Eagles hired the Oregon coach that Kelly wanted full authority on football matters.

Not so.

When he showed up for his interviews with the Eagles, Browns and Bills earlier this month, Kelly made it clear from the get-go that he didn't want final say on personnel matters, a source familiar with his thinking said.

Kelly can be a control freak, two sources close to the coach said. But he is selective over the things he wants to control. Kelly will want little interference over how he coaches his team. He will want to decide on the strength and conditioning program. He will obsess over details as minor as what kind of thigh pads the players wear.

As one source said, "He will turn that place upside down. But he only wants extreme control in certain areas."

Those areas, for the most part, won't collide with Roseman's interests. The young GM wants to build the roster. He wants to lead the draft. He wants to wheel and deal. Roseman did all this when Andy Reid was with the Eagles, but Reid had final say and most of the sway.

Kelly has little interest in the business operations of the NFL. He doesn't care about the salary cap, contracts or the waiver wire, one source said. Those have been and will remain part of Roseman's domain.

In many ways, a Kelly-Roseman partnership is a perfect melding, at least the one Lurie described the day he fired Reid. Many wondered whether Roseman would have final say or would have to cede some power to the new coach.

Lurie said then that the new coach would report directly to him and that Roseman and the coach would work in unison when crafting the roster. Kelly will certainly have some opinion on players – especially the ones he knows from the college game.

But he will be a novice to the NFL and to many of its practices. That's where Roseman comes in. In this marriage, the 37-year-old GM will  start off the dominant one when it comes to the evaluating and acquiring players.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SD

Someone on DNL [maybe it was D Gunn] said Georgia's D coordinator Todd Grantham is a favorite for D coordinator:

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/grantham_todd00.html

PoopyfaceMcGee

QB Eagles

I'm excited to have a new coach. No idea if he's going to be successful or not, but I do know a ton of things are going to be different about the Eagles and it should be interesting. Pretty sure Chip wants to make a splash in the NFL, so one way or the other, it shouldn't be boring.

Sorry for not immediately pissing all over this move. The cynicism will be back in the fall (or when Howie fargs up the draft).

PhillyPhanInDC

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

ice grillin you

if his input helps in even a tiny way in getting jarvis jones then im IN
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

reese125

still making references to the booing of santa clause = scared to death

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 16, 2013, 08:22:54 PM
if his input helps in even a tiny way in getting jarvis jones then im IN

Or that Norwegian dude!
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

ice grillin you

Quote from: reese125 on January 16, 2013, 08:48:16 PM
still making references to the booing of santa clause = scared to death

or a guy thats lived in portsmouth new hampshire and eugene oregon for the last ten years and probably thinks they booed santa claus in 1997

this cat has no clue what hes steppin into
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

You're right... He probably does expect that most fans will, you know, see if he is capable of winning on this level before giving his hire a big fat "F."

Philadelphia sports fans have a reputation for being ridiculous, and much of it is deserved.

SD

Kelly and Urban Meyer breaking down the Oregon offense. You can see why it works so well in College...you can also make your own assumptions why many aspects won't work in the pros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9fWpnxyUcU

Howie doesn't know football but he sees all these other offenses trending towards the spread and just has to get himself a coach who utilizes this approach. Forget intangibles like whether or not the guy can lead grown men and what type of motivator he is, he's been lead to believe he's an offensive genius and just has to have him.

PoopyfaceMcGee

PhillyPhreak54

Cautiously optimistic is how I would describe myself. I was sold on Gus but lets see how it plays out.

Let's hope he more Harbaugh and less Spurrier/Petrino