Smart Phones, Tablets, Gadgets, etc....

Started by reese125, January 09, 2011, 12:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

I will absolutely miss the swappable battery on the Note 8. Such a scam.

Sgt PSN

Yeah, that's the 1 thing I know I won't like about it....at least somewhere around the 18 month mark anyway when I'll probably be wanting a replacement battery.

Zanshin

Flip side is...no worthy phone has that feature anymore. At least they stuck with the Micro SD card.

Sgt PSN

Yeah, I don't think there's any "premium" or flagship phones left that have a removable battery.  The microsd card slot is nice, but the N8 is packing 64gb internal storage and with the major development in cloud storage in recent years, I kind of feel like expandable storage isn't a real necessity.  I subscribed to Office 365 and they give you 1TB of OneDrive storage.  That could potentially cause a bump in data usage, but as long as I'm not trying to backup a ton of video while I'm off wi-fi, I don't see it being a problem.   

Given a choice, I'd take the replaceable battery over the microsd slot any day.  First world problems are the farging worst. 

Zanshin

True, but video takes up a ton of space and sometimes it's handy to have the extra capacity on something that's easy enough to swap out. So many high-res videos of the wife dancing around naked....or stupid videos of some kid playing guitar. One of them, can't remember which.

Sgt PSN

Haha.  I can definitely see the storage being handy for people who shoot a ton of high-res video.  I'm generally not one of those people.  But I look at it like this....

On my 32gb N4, I generally hold steady at about 20gb of used internal storage, leaving me roughly 12GB of free space for whatever.  7.5GB of that is System Memory, which I assume is where all of the Android OS, Samsung's Touchwiz, and whatever carrier added bloatware is kept, so I'm really only consuming about 12GB of storage with my own stuff.   On my microsd card I'm only consuming 16GB (out of 64GB), and most of that is music. 

I'm thinking on the Note 8 there will probably be like 10-15GB taken off the top with System Memory. Going high end with 15GB dedicated to the OS and such, that's gonna leave me 49GB of storage.  If I were to put the contents of my external card on the internal memory, combined with what I already keep on my phone's internal memory, that adds up to 28GB.  Still got 21GB left over.  2hrs of HD video consumes about 1.5GB, so I'd have to record (and keep) like 28 hours worth of video to max out my internal storage.  I'm not sure how much space 4k video takes up, but even if it's double, that means it would take 14hrs of video recording to completely fill my available storage.  I don't know of too many people who record that often without being able to upload to the cloud. 

This is just my own personal preference too.  I could much easier live without the expandable storage than the replaceable battery.  I really wish I could just live without these things completely.  They really are time and money sucks.     

Zanshin

Oh, I'd totally rather have the battery. I'm just saying I'm glad they didn't kill both (because they did for awhile, like with the Note 5.)

Sgt PSN

Yup.  And I'm willing to be they bring the battery back with the Note 9 and I'll still have too much of a financial commitment to this phone to get it.  lol.

Zanshin

Quote from: Sgt PSN on September 06, 2017, 05:09:29 PM
Yup.  And I'm willing to be they bring the battery back with the Note 9 and I'll still have too much of a financial commitment to this phone to get it.  lol.

Nah, I think that ship sailed. Under the guise of making it waterproof (which is good), they're also making sure we buy HAVE to buy a new phone in a few years because of the battery degradation (which is good...for them).

Sgt PSN

As long as iFixit continues to pump out youtube videos showing how to replace a sealed battery, I'm good. 

Sgt PSN

Didn't think I'd get a phone call for my pre-order this weekend, but I just got a call from Sam's and can pick my phone up tomorrow, which means my activation fee gets waived.  Sweet! 

Zanshin

I was pissed. Got an email from Best Buy last night saying it was ready and to get it as soon as possible. Drag my ass over there between meetings, and they can't give it until tomorrow. Which would have been fine if they hadn't literally just told me that it to come get it. So, now I'll get it tomorrow...along with a bunch of free stuff that I allowed them to give me to shut me up about how they needlessly farged up my day.

hbionic

I'd like a copy of that transcript please. I'd like to know what Z complaining sounds like.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Zanshin

Well, it sounded a lot like that. Only the store couldn't do anything, so I called a corporate number on the way home and talked to an idiot whom only pissed me off more, so then I kept asking for supervisors until I finally connected with someone whom at least pretended to give a shtein. As they're basically Amazon's showroom, they better care about customer service at least a little.

Sgt PSN

That sucks Z.  Sam's is a good 45 min drive for me.  If I get there and they tell me to come back the next day I'll probably lose my shtein.  I don't see that happening though, because when they called the lady actually scheduled me for an appointment to pick it up, so I gotta imagine that they literally have a phone there with my name on it.