Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: smeags on September 05, 2017, 08:52:25 AM
Quote from: SD on September 03, 2017, 12:11:33 PM
Even if it's just a basic patio enclosure? Im not looking to build anything extravagant, just 3 walls with windows and a roof. Probably throw vinyl matting on the floor. I see a lot of them in my neighborhood...same unit type.

check the township for the slab plans. It may have had footers put in. if not, you probably do need to put them in to be in code.

I talked to him yesterday about the foundation, he just looked at me like yeah I know dipshtein. He's been doing this stuff his whole life. Looks like this projects not going to happen until spring. He's booked solid.

Tomahawk

Quote from: smeags on September 05, 2017, 09:00:19 AM
re-did my lil guys bedroom over the weekend. new paint with wainscoting and installed a new rug.

Installing a rug sounds time consuming

smeags

didn't think it would be, but I will never do that on my own again.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Tomahawk

I just realized I have never bought a refrigerator before. I now must. Any brands to stay away from? Is side-by-side vs. top freezer just a personal preference?

Sgt PSN

The only brand I would adamantly say to avoid is LG. I've never had an LG fridge, but I have had a handful of their electronics and small appliances over the years and they've all been junk. I'll never own an LG product again.

Amana, Whirlpool, GE, are all excellent brands.  Samsung has really come on in recent years as a top rated brand, too.

As for the style of fridge, it probably is about personal preference, but I can't figure out why anyone would want a side by side. Top/French door with a bottom pull out freezer is the way to go, imo. If you get one with a water/ice dispenser on the door, look for one that has the icemaker on the inside of the door rather than sucking up storage space inside the fridge itself.

Tomahawk

Holy fargballs, fridges are pricey

Diomedes

Get the cut sheet before you buy it so you can be sure it will fit through the doors into your kitchen, and that it will fit in the space you have for it, and that the doors have room to operate, etc..  Measure measure measure.

I would never buy Kenmore.

Side by side vs. bottom freezer is just preference, yes.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

smeags

I have a ge fridge. pretty much a go to brand. not sure on the stove, it may be a ge as well. it's old but it cooks, so whatever. not sure at all on the microwave.

I do have a LG washer and dryer. the washer went within one year. after a bunch of back and forth it was replaced under the manufacturer warranty. the new one has been fine although I have come to hate front load washers in general.

Rome

Sears merchandise is pure shtein these days.  I bought a push cart from them last year and it's already wearing out.  I only use it for my Weber tailgating grille on the deck too, so it's not like I'm moving it very often.  I've heard horror stories about their garbage disposals and water heaters too.   

Go with GE or Samsung.  Even Panasonic is preferable. 

SD

My buddy recommended this local place on a corner in NE Philly on Cottman ave called Anthony's appliances. I bought a Fridge, Microwave, Electric Oven, and upgraded dishwasher for $1500 when all was said and done. Delivery was cheap too. All Fridgidaire stainless steel. At the time they had a deal, you buy 4 of their appliances you get a $300 rebate, I missed the rebate deadline by a few days so he back dated my receipt so I could still get it. Prices are the best I've seen around and the guy has a great selection and impeccable reputation. I shopped around at all the chain places too but they couldn't beat his prices. They do repairs, have a small variety of scratch and dent, and a lot of new stuff. Great store.

smeags

Quote from: Rome on October 04, 2017, 08:54:32 AM
Sears merchandise is pure shtein these days.  I bought a push cart from them last year and it's already wearing out.  I only use it for my Weber tailgating grille on the deck too, so it's not like I'm moving it very often.  I've heard horror stories about their garbage disposals and water heaters too.   

Go with GE or Samsung.  Even Panasonic is preferable.

sears/Kenmore appliances are made by LG. craftsman mowers are made by yardsman I believe. power tools by black n decker.

you'd be surprised how few companies make things under many, many different branding.

this shows appliances.

http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml

Tomahawk

Thanks all and that's a great link, smeags

Tomahawk

The best thing isn't I put this together with parts I put in the basket as I built it in my head. The best part is if somebody successfully breaks into my house, loans me some of his gunpowder, and is willing to stick around while I google some shtein on yahoo, I can use this lamp to make a pipe bomb to defend my home against him.

Bellicheck is clearly not as impressed with me as I am.

SD

Tomahawk

Thanks! They're scale models of the medium wheel loaders I used to work on. One is holding a roll of dog shtein bags in its bucket.