The Giants Suck Too

Started by MDS, May 19, 2007, 10:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorebird

Tiki Barber is a very articulate person, well spoken and all that, but he still is acting like a 5 yr. old with all this crap between him and the other spoiled brat, Eli. I used to think he was different from the likes of Phil Simms and LT, but when he says that friggen' Kerry Collins was a true leader, well, he might as well go on the Howard Stern show next.

Magical_Retard

as much as it feels unnatural to say this but i agree with Eli here.

tiki is a moron and especially if he thinks his "job" is to make controversial comments.
Marge: I have someone who can help you!
Homer: Is it BATMAN!!??
Marge: No hes a scientist
Homer: Batman is a scientist.
Marge: Its not BATMAN!

QB Eagles

Eli has zero leadership presence in the locker room... this was his way of trying to prove that he can be a leader, by bashing old comments from a player who's not even on the team anymore. It was an embarrassing and unconvincing performance to say the least.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Tiki wins automatically because he was an elite player at his position and left on top.  Eli was drafted 1st overall but whined about which team drafted him, and he's averagish at best as a QB to boot.

SD_Eagle5

Link

Adam Schein tells it like it is (and he's a Giants fan). Best show on Sirius:

QuoteIf you read the New York newspapers today, you would believe that Eli Manning firing back at former teammate-turned-sportscaster Tiki Barber is the quarterback's coming-out party as a leader.

If you talk to Giants fans, like I did on my radio show yesterday, you would believe that Manning not only has found his pulse, but that this could be a turning point for him on the field.

Excuse me for a minute while I interrupt this Eli Manning love fest.

I can't believe how this has been spun.

I had some serious problems with Manning's commentary against Barber yesterday in Albany, N.Y — on a lot of levels.

I watched Sunday Night Football live this week. I heard Barber and Cris Collinsworth and Bob Costas talk about Manning at the half. I heard the two analysts say that Manning isn't an upper-echelon quarterback and the Giants couldn't trade him for most starting quarterbacks in the NFL straight-up, including the two quarterbacks drafted the same year, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. I heard Tiki talk about Manning's awkward speeches and question his leadership. I heard it all.

Raise your hand if you disagreed with it.

This was far from breaking news.

I have to tell you, this was fine television. It wasn't anything more. It wasn't anything less. It wasn't going to win anyone an Emmy. This wasn't "hot stuff." Tiki and company were not reinventing the wheel here. This has been said or written by at least 1,000 people with microphones and notepads. Giants tackle Kareem McKenzie has talked about Manning from a leadership perspective before on the record. Barber's commentary was far from over the top.

While New Yorkers are celebrating Manning's coming-out party, what happened to the 2007 mantra of just playing football and eliminating distractions?

Would Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer or Marc Bulger respond in such a way? Here's what they would've said, "Tiki is entitled to his opinion. We are here to play football. That's all I have to say about that."

So in a season where Tom Coughlin wanted the Giants to stop talking, all of a sudden everyone is praising Manning for his Jim Rome-esque monologue?

And in New York, this topic isn't dying anytime soon. So once again, the conversation strays from football.

Here is the Manning quote I had the biggest problem with: "I guess I could have questioned his leadership skills last year calling out the coach and having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season, saying he's lost the heart. As a quarterback, you're reading your running back's lost a little, the heart, him playing the game, and it's about the 10th week. I can see that a little bit at times."

Where do I begin?

Let's jog the mental rolodex for a second here. When were the two significant times Barber talked about the Giants coaching staff? They were after the pathetic performance against John Fox and the Panthers in the opening round of the playoffs two seasons ago. And it was after Manning's gruesome performance against the Jaguars on national television last year, when the quarterback did his best Dave Brown impersonation.

The headlines in New York quickly shifted from "Manning's a Bust" and "Eli Stinks" to "Shut up Tiki!"

Maybe, just maybe, Barber knew exactly what he was doing, shifting the blame away from his young quarterback.

And let's remember that Barber didn't announce his retirement last year. John Branch from The New York Times was shadowing the Barber brothers on a book tour and unearthed that nugget by listening to conversation.

For the record, the Steelers were so distracted by the Jerome Bettis retirement talk in 2005 they won the Super Bowl.

And let's not talk about heart. That is what drove me batty during my radio show yesterday. I would be pressed to question a running back's heart when he shredded the taterskins for over 200 yards in Week 17 to solely carry the Giants to the playoffs. When Tiki made the heart comment last year it was in reference to the grind as an NFL player post-2006. Barber not only dominated Washington, but he was the reason why the Giants beat the Panthers down the stretch and nearly upset the Eagles in the playoffs.
advertisement

This will make for good copy and conversation for a few weeks. But all that matters is if this "leadership transformation" that I am not buying into suddenly helps Manning perform against the Cowboys in Week 1.

Tiki Barber no longer wears the Giants uniform. He is now part of the media. The Giants players and fans have to get used to it.

I can't wait until he actually says something juicy

methdeez

Wow, that was suprisingly insightful.
Here's my insight: Giants last pace in the division this year.

SD_Eagle5

Strahan will be back with the team monday. Slimey move threatening retirement to get out of training camp.

BlueHeart

It wasn't to get out of TC. There's some stuff going on.

As for Schein's comments, in that posted commentary, and just in general on Sirius... Amen, brother.
Maybe the voices aren't real, but, they've got some pretty good ideas...

SD_Eagle5

Diomedes

Like he's gay as Seigfried and his boyfriend just told him he's got AIDS.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

shorebird

He finally decided to get braces and couldn't take that 6 inch clamp off his front teeth until training camp was over.

Rome

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!   :'(

QuoteNFL | Barber says he'd still be playing if not for Coughlin

From Inquirer Wire Services

Tiki Barber says he retired because New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin robbed him of his love of the game.

In excerpts from his book, Tiki: My Life in the Game and Beyond, obtained by the New York Daily News, the former Giants running back writes that he might still be playing if Coughlin was not still coaching the Giants. The book goes on sale Sept. 18.

"If Tom Coughlin had not remained as head coach of the Giants, I might still be in a Giants uniform," the excerpt in the Daily News said.

Coughlin "robbed me of what had been one of the most important things I had in my life, which was the joy I felt playing football," Barber wrote. "I had lost that. He had taken it away."

Barber credits Coughlin with solving his chronic fumbling problems. Under Coughlin, Barber ranked among the NFL's top five rushers. Beginning in 2004, Barber rushed for 1,518, 1,860 and 1,662 yards.

Barber also claims in the book that he was shorted about $10 million in his career by the Giants, who underpaid him compared with other top running backs.

Kill yourself.

Diomedes

shtein, no one wants to play for Coughlin.  This isn't news.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Magical_Retard

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on September 05, 2007, 06:30:54 AM
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!   :'(

QuoteNFL | Barber says he'd still be playing if not for Coughlin

From Inquirer Wire Services

Tiki Barber says he retired because New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin robbed him of his love of the game.

In excerpts from his book, Tiki: My Life in the Game and Beyond, obtained by the New York Daily News, the former Giants running back writes that he might still be playing if Coughlin was not still coaching the Giants. The book goes on sale Sept. 18.

"If Tom Coughlin had not remained as head coach of the Giants, I might still be in a Giants uniform," the excerpt in the Daily News said.

Coughlin "robbed me of what had been one of the most important things I had in my life, which was the joy I felt playing football," Barber wrote. "I had lost that. He had taken it away."

Barber credits Coughlin with solving his chronic fumbling problems. Under Coughlin, Barber ranked among the NFL's top five rushers. Beginning in 2004, Barber rushed for 1,518, 1,860 and 1,662 yards.

Barber also claims in the book that he was shorted about $10 million in his career by the Giants, who underpaid him compared with other top running backs.

Kill yourself.

barber is a douche. if he really stil wanted to play and coughlin was making his life hell he would have demanded a trade or sat out till he was released or something...this is just a ploy to sell books. maybe he should have mentioned this during his season long tirade about retiring and losing his passion.
Marge: I have someone who can help you!
Homer: Is it BATMAN!!??
Marge: No hes a scientist
Homer: Batman is a scientist.
Marge: Its not BATMAN!

dis12

check out the artists version of the Giants/Jets new home.  Outside looks like a car radiator.
http://68.72.70.73/giants/
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***