The Giants Suck Too

Started by MDS, May 19, 2007, 10:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: Zanshin on November 29, 2017, 09:59:17 AM
Eli is clearly one of the most overrated, lucky QBs of all time. The fact that he could make the HOF is horrible to me.

Eli was clutch in the playoffs. He was overrated during the regular season but I'd take him over his brother in the playoffs. I agree he's not HOF worthy. I put him in the Flacco category. Both franchise QBs who lead their team to a SB with good defenses and clutch postseason performances.

I'll throw this out there: assuming you're a regular starter, you either get a Superbowl ring during your career or you get into the HOF at the end of your career. Which do you chose?

Sgt PSN

QB Eagles

Ring.

Obviously some players never achieve the ring through no fault of their own, and even more win it just by being lucky enough to be on the right franchise at the right time. HOF means a million times more for the quality of your career and how much you will be able to cash in on that career. If you sit back and look at it without emotion, HOF is way more important for you personally.

Still, the ultimate goal of playing a sport is to win the championship. Being a HOFer without winning a SB is like surrounding yourself with beautiful women who fawn over you, but never actually getting laid. Most of us would rather get action, even if we aren't proud of every aspect of how it happened. A normal football player is going to be haunted by the years of extraordinary effort they put in without ever winning the SB and being one part of something that was bigger than his individual performance. There are some guys who can make their peace with it, but it means letting go of a dream that drove their lives for decades. Most people can't do that too easily.

shorebird

Quote from: Rome on November 29, 2017, 09:24:22 AM
Their year is over and there's no heir apparent who needs seasoning.  Sitting Eli is a slap in the face after almost 15 years of service.   Oh and two goddamn Super Bowl wins. 
My thoughts exactly. It's unlike them to do this to a player of Eli's caliber. I heard that at first they wanted to split time between the two but Eli stepped in and said basically, what for? The streak? Forget it if you want to play Geno then start him.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 29, 2017, 12:11:41 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 29, 2017, 10:51:30 AM
The ring.

especially because the NFL HOF is a joke

I was thinking the ring will fetch more at a pawn shop than a blazer, but I like your answer too.

SD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 29, 2017, 12:23:10 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on November 29, 2017, 12:11:41 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 29, 2017, 10:51:30 AM
The ring.

especially because the NFL HOF is a joke

I was thinking the ring will fetch more at a pawn shop than a blazer, but I like your answer too.

Do you mind waiting around for a bit while I call in an expert?

General_Failure

An expert in pawning rings? I thought you weren't talking to your ex.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

He never married her, silly. 

Rome

I wish we had an overrated QB who won us two Super Bowls. 

ice grillin you

overrated isnt the word.....better to say he wasnt as good as some of his peers who didnt win rings...but yeah hes better than an eagle qb ever
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Zanshin

I don't know. I put him in that "game manager" category. With pieces around him, he did what it took to win when when it counted, all the while looking like a doofus deer in headlights. I give him credit for not falling apart in some big spots. If he was on Eagles teams during his tenure, I don't think they'd have necessarily won championships. I just don't think he was ever a huge difference-maker. Maybe I'm biased because I live in Giant country....

Eagaholic

I think Eli has been a player with very long (several game +) streaks of good and bad, and has also been very good late in games with coming back. Put those two together for enough seasons and sometimes the stars will align for you.

Zanshin

I'll put it this way, at no point was he ever at the top of my wish list as dream QB of the Eagles.

shorebird

Quote from: Zanshin on November 29, 2017, 02:54:03 PM
I don't know. I put him in that "game manager" category. With pieces around him, he did what it took to win when when it counted, all the while looking like a doofus deer in headlights. I give him credit for not falling apart in some big spots. If he was on Eagles teams during his tenure, I don't think they'd have necessarily won championships. I just don't think he was ever a huge difference-maker. Maybe I'm biased because I live in Giant country....

There are some great pics out there of ole' Eli, slack jawed, mouth agape, hang lip dangling, only thing missing is a string of drool running off his chin.