When does the real QB controversy begin?

Started by Cerevant, January 10, 2007, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When does the real QB controversy begin?

It is already a mess
2 (15.4%)
After a win in NO
1 (7.7%)
After a win in the NFCCG
0 (0%)
After a Super Bowl win
6 (46.2%)
Never - Philly media & fans are too smart for that
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Cerevant

So, the talk has already begun that Garcia is the better QB for this team - primarily by idiots at this point.  However, what would happen if Jeff Garcia took this team to the Super Bowl and won?  Couldn't he have a legitimate argument for being the starting QB in 2007?
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Wingspan

my choice would be

Never - Garcia will sign for more than he's worth with another team that thinks it is close to a championship.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SunMo

it's already started.  no matter what happens from here on out, it will be an issue next year.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

For the immediate and short term future of this team, I do think the Eagles are better with Garcia.  Not only do the other players seem to step up more, but the offensive game plan is more balanced and puts equal pressure on all the players to perform, not just the QB. 

I'll say it right now, if Garcia wasn't 36 friggin years old then I would take him in a heartbeat over McNabb.  Garcia at 30 > McNabb at 30. 

However, since Garcia is not a longterm possibility for this team and McNabb is, then McNabb is the starting QB once he's healthy, regardless of how far the Eagles go this year with Garcia. 

If the Eagles need Garcia to start next year because McNabb isn't ready, fine.  But once McNabb is healthy enough, he goes back on the field.  And if he struggles or if the team struggles then you can always go back to Garcia if need be. 

ice grillin you

its not a true qb controversary and i dont think it ever will be

for one the issue is not whos a better qb because there is a very small % of people who think garcia is better its instead all about who is more likeable

secondly more than likely the eagles and by proxy garcia are gonna crash and burn against the saints which will end most of the talk anyway

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 10, 2007, 12:19:11 PM
I'll say it right now, if Garcia wasn't 36 friggin years old then I would take him in a heartbeat over McNabb.  Garcia at 30 > McNabb at 30. 
lol

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SunMo on January 10, 2007, 12:22:35 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 10, 2007, 12:19:11 PM
lol

You disagree?  I think Garcia fits the WCO mold much better than McNabb does.  Maybe that's how I should have put it originally now that I think about it.  For all around talent and ability, McNabb definately has more than Garcia.  No question.  But it terms of being a better fit for this team and the offensive philosophy, I think Garcia is a better fit. 

Of course, it is mostly speculation on my part since I've never seen McNabb in an offense that likes to run the ball.  So maybe if McNabb comes back and the current offensive philosophy is still in tact then maybe we see a more successful McNabb.  Who knows? 

But until that time comes, then I'm going to stick by my guns and say that Garcia is actually a better fit.   

SunMo

this offense was great with McNabb, and they were more explosive.

now they are more balanced, and that's due to playcalling.  Garcia has been able to fill in and they have won, but that's more due to defense than offense. 

ice grillin you

garcia hasnt done shtein

westbrook playing off the charts
run attempts close to equaling pass attempts
omar gaither>matt mccoy
TOP helping the defense stay fresh
dawk elevating his game

all>>>>garcia

Wingspan

garcia was 30 in 2000, when he went to the probowl. Terrell Owens and Charlie Garner also had great years. the Offensive Coordinator was Marty Mornhinweg

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SunMo on January 10, 2007, 12:36:04 PM
this offense was great with McNabb, and they were more explosive.

now they are more balanced, and that's due to playcalling.  Garcia has been able to fill in and they have won, but that's more due to defense than offense. 

More explosive, yes.  They were more inconsistant as well.  With the playcalling that was taking place when McNabb was healthy, this team was either making huge plays or no plays.  There was no happy medium.  Garcia is addition by subtraction in this case. 

SunMo

so basically, you blame McNabb in a roundabout way for the playcalling?  he's more talented at passing, thus Reid calls more pass plays, screwing up the offense?

ice grillin you

lets not get crazy with mcnabb either

THIS YEAR all things equal mcnabb is clearly the better qb

but a definite argument can be made that at the top of their repspective games garcia was the better qb

SunMo

not a real strong arguement, in my opinion.

you put 3 Pro Bowl Garcia on the Eagles during those years, I don't think he has half the success and stats as Donovan.

MURP

if Garcia wins the superbowl I dont even care who is the QB next year.    Omar Jacobs holler.