Wood Smoker Advice

Started by Beermonkey, August 23, 2006, 09:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beermonkey

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 24, 2006, 12:22:23 PM
i didnt realize it was something that could be done at a tailgate

I saw a couple guys smoking racks of ribs last year, which is what got me curious. You need to start early & most likely can't do it for a 1:00 game.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Beermonkey on August 24, 2006, 12:30:36 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on August 24, 2006, 12:22:23 PM
i didnt realize it was something that could be done at a tailgate

I saw a couple guys smoking racks of ribs last year, which is what got me curious. You need to start early & most likely can't do it for a 1:00 game.

Even for a 4pm game you'd still have to get started by about 5am in order to actually be able to eat the stuff before the game starts.   I wonder if the guys you saw had already smoked them and were basically just warming them back up.  ???

Susquehanna Birder

Which begs the question: How do YOU warm your meat at a tailgate?

MURP

using the tin foil or smoker box you are still cooking the meat via the grill, but getting the smoke flavor.  Hence you can cook it in a short amount of time. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: MURP on August 24, 2006, 04:29:23 PM
using the tin foil or smoker box you are still cooking the meat via the grill, but getting the smoke flavor. Hence you can cook it in a short amount of time.

So it's like the microwave oven of smoking.  Sounds like some mangled hocus pocus black magic to me. 

Beermonkey

Thanks to all those that posted & especially Susquehanna for the link, which was extremely helpful. I ended up buying a cheap smoker from Lowe's & after some trial & error, today I smoked the best ribs I've ever had at home.

I prepped my ribs last night by first trimming off the fat & membrane, then smearing them in mustard. I made a rub by mixing brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, kosher salt, pepper, cumin & garlic powder.

After soaking the mesquite wood chips for an hour, I started the charcoal fire & added the wood once the charcoal got hot. After filling up the water pan, I added 2 split racks of rubbed pork ribs. Over the course of about 3 hours, I made sure that the temp didn't get too hot & when the smoke died down, added more soaked chips.

The process is worth it for just the smell alone, as it reminds you of being in the Linc parking lot in the fall. If anyone is in for the Cowboys game, I plan on smoking ribs for the tailgate & would be happy to share.

reese125

dude, you just made me so friggin hungry. nice work on the ribs

mussa

BM - I have a similar one to the original pic you posted and i love it. it takes alittle longer than a propane grill but the results are worth it. steaks, burgers excellant smoke flavor can't be beat. did ribs up in canada last week, oh my lord. gives you more time to drink before the meats done.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

MURP

Quote from: Beermonkey on September 04, 2006, 02:05:21 PM

The process is worth it for just the smell alone, as it reminds you of being in the Linc parking lot in the fall.

so your ribs smelled like piss and cheap booze?   ;D

Beermonkey

Quote from: MURP on September 04, 2006, 04:15:03 PM
Quote from: Beermonkey on September 04, 2006, 02:05:21 PM

The process is worth it for just the smell alone, as it reminds you of being in the Linc parking lot in the fall.

so your ribs smelled like piss and cheap booze?   ;D

:-D It smelled more like the lot around 10:00, before the porta-potties start to overfill.

mussa

so your bringing it to the tailgate then right...
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Susquehanna Birder

I wish I could take credit for giving you a link...but I'll certainly accept some of whatever you decide to prepare at a tailgate.   ;D

Sgt PSN

Unless someone sent him a link via PM, then I can only guess he's talking about me since I'm the only person who linked anything over here.  ???

Regardless, have fun smoking your meat BM.  :paranoid

stalker

Easy way for a tailgate and keep in mind that I am a competitive barbecuer.

DRY rub ribs (leave the fat) Paprika, Brown Sugar, Cumin, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cayanne, Salt.

Wrap TIGHTLY in saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Bake in 250 degree oven for 3 hours.

Wrap in foil.

Fire up Smoker. (I use a barrel type with an offset smoke box, but any indirect FIRE source will do.)

Soak your chips. For pork I like a fruit wood, for beef I will use mesquite or hickory

When coals are hot put unwrapped ribs on the grates. Remember, you must use indirect heat!

Put some chips on coals to generate intense smoke

Maintain temp between 250 and 300.

Cook for 1-2 hours while maintaining smoke.

If you like BBQ sauce, Brush on after cooking time for 15 minutes with ribs wrapped in foil, top vented.
Alert, alert. Look well at the rainbow. The fish will be running very soon.

PhillyPhanInDC

I made one of these over the weekend. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it should work. Definately for the budget concious, and if someone gets hammered and falls on it at the tailgate, you wouldn't really give a farg.

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.