Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

two things pop to mind

1.  how come we don't have contests.  win brunch with A.Q. Shipley!

2.  pics please.  I want to see how hideous these things are

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Quote from: Diomedes on July 14, 2019, 07:23:57 AM
oh...sorry...didn't notice the size, just posted and moved on

Apology accepted

Diomedes

oh...sorry...didn't notice the size, just posted and moved on

Tomahawk

After hammering, floor and bottle jacking, greasing, and a nearly infinite amount of swearing, I still wasn't able to get the lower control arms back into the subframe. Using a threaded rod, washers, and nuts to create a mini screwjack, I pushed the ears of the brackets out about an 1/8" (0.125"; 3ish mm) and was able to slide the LCAs in by hand (but only because I'm sofa king strong; you would have had to use a dead blow hammer).

Tomahawk

I learned a couple of things about installing coil springs in the last couple of days:

1. When the compressor tool's rod is too long, measure how much it sticks out the top end before adding spacers

1.1. I'm still proud of myself for thinking of adding a spacer. The only other option would have been to cut the rod and become the owner of the tool I rented from the parts store and will hopefully never need again

B. Make sure the Grade 8 washer you bought to put between the spacers has a small enough OD to fit through the hole in the control arm

B.A. I still feel like a dumbass. The zip nut that the washer broke in half when removing the compressor tool got caught between the installed spring and control arm (it is lucky it didn't poke my eye out, kid). It took forfargingever to figure out how to get it out without removing the spring again

PhillyPhreak54

Nice job.

Redoing the entire suspension? Or a new project car?

Tomahawk

It has to be the entire front end. The bushings in the upper control arm were almost completely eroded (that little chunk on the right was all that remained in both control arms) and the front end sits about 1" too high.

I cut about 0.75" off the height of the spring which should translate to 1.5" of ride height (3/4" was one coil, making it easier to line up than trying to accurately measure a half of an inch).

Another lesson I learned is farg pickle forks. The ball joint/tie rod separator is much easier to use and won't farg up the boots if you plan on reusing any of the parts.

Tomahawk

Original height with15" rims

Ride height with new wheels (bad picture taking by me; the off-angle doesn't accurately visually depict how the front is higher than the rear)

Lowered 1ish inch up front(cut between 0.5" and 0.75" off coil)

The tire now fills up the wheel well sofa king well. Well, it's just farging perfect!

PhillyPhreak54

Sweet! Got rid of the lift kit look.

Diomedes

Whose Viper? 

With both cars in view...funny how the voluputuous rear quarter panels of the Rivera are echoed by those on the front of the Viper.

Tomahawk

It's my buddy's 2nd gen Viper...the car is cool af, but I'm too tall for it when the top is on.

Diomedes

And when it's not, your shoulders are  the roll cage.  Sweet.

Tomahawk

Lol the center of gravity is so low, you'd have to be doing something otherworldly stupid to roll it.