Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

the problem with the trade and im not against it is not that they are giving up guys that will be awesome later....its that if they give up three/four guys just for realmuto they really hurt their asset pool to potentially get other players who are better and or at a more important position

like why not keep all your assets and just increase your offer to harper or machado or both....i dont totally get going HAM with prospects for realmuto but not HAM with money for harchado

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

thats a fair point

also keep in mind...the upgrade from alfaro to realmuto is real and its spectacular. alfaro is a pretty much garbage offensively and seriously flawed defensively. he might well improve but i dont see it. realmuto is the real deal. they are going from a bottom-tier catcher to a top 3.

with that said, the gap between realmuto and the rest of the catchers is significant. you are buying a ton of positional value here. the production they will get out of catcher is going to be so much better than the mets, nats and braves get. there is next to no catching talent in MLB right now, except for this guy and maybe sanchez.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

id rather have a chooch at C and harper/machado + SP1/2

than realmuto and harper/machado

MDS

chooch doesnt exist anymore and there really no attainable comps for him.

it is fair to say, hold these assets off for a potential trade for a SP in july or next winter. they are most likely going to need an upgrade there unless like eflin makes a huge leap.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Trade is official. They gave up an additional meh prospect in Stewart and some overseas salary money

MDS

i would not call stewart a meh prospect...really good season in lakewood last year. sub 1 whip in 20 starts. unlikely to be a cy young contender but isnt a throw in by any means

SD

He doesn't crack their top 30 prospects, he's the epitome of a meh prospect

MDS

QuoteWill Stewart topped Lakewood in innings. He is something, the evaluators all agreed. What that is remains to be seen. Stewart, a 21-year-old former 20th round pick, started 20 games and finished with a 2.03 ERA. He posted the lowest strikeout rate (20.5 percent) on the team. But his 62.1 percent ground-ball rate was the highest in the South Atlantic League and among the top five highest ground-ball rates in all of minor-league baseball, according to FanGraphs data.

"He just throws strikes," an AL scout said. "Three pitches for strikes. Long ways to go."

Stewart, a lefty, throws his sinker between 88 and 94 mph. He'll lean on his changeup. The two breaking balls sometimes showed well. What evaluators saw was a prospect who pitched above his age, with an advanced feel for his secondary pitches. The Phillies shut him down at 113 2/3 innings, so he did not pitch in the postseason.

ice grillin you

Quote from: AO1 on February 07, 2019, 03:51:07 PM
He doesn't crack their top 30 prospects, he's the epitome of a meh prospect

hes in the 20's on almost every list ive seen but hes trash....it was a complete relief seeing him in there and not a real prospect

Rome

Alfaro is a decent starting catcher, the other kid is eh and Sanchez is a fireballing question mark with potential HOF shtein.   I hate to see him go, but they got a young all-star catcher back in return. 

You gotta do what you gotta do...

I think the trade is pretty fair for both sides, actually. 

Rome

And maybe Harper and Machado have already said no, so why wait? 

- Or -

They're still waiting and they just addressed a concern possibly shared by both of them in terms of potential lineup firepower?  Because they definitely and immediately improved with him in the lineup every night.   

phattymatty

baseball is so boring.  more like fakemuto amirite.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on February 07, 2019, 05:39:42 PM
And maybe Harper and Machado have already said no, so why wait

it turns into a debacle of a trade if they dont get Harper...not saying he isn't going to the phils but there's no chance they do this deal if they know they aren't getting him

Rome

It's not a debacle.  They upgraded the thinnest position in baseball with an all-star and arguably the best player at his position last year.  They provided Hoskins with protection in the lineup.  He's still 27 and they have two seasons before he reaches FA, so they have cost certainty at a critical position. 

Strictly from a "win now" perspective, he's every bit as important a get as Machado would be.  Harper would be a titanic get, that's true, and I hope they get him despite my blind hatred of him.

But... if they don't, and they're only "stuck" with Realmuto for two years... who else becomes a FA after 2020?  Trout.

And maybe he's the ultimate end game here.  Eggs. Basket. Whatever. 

ice grillin you

yes it is

in fact it's an amazingly idiotic trade if they don't at minimum get Harper but really they need him and a pitcher

you don't trade all that for a catcher that is better but not crazy better than Ramos or grandal just to lose for the next few years