Thread for Hippos to mock Penn State

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, February 02, 2006, 09:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Munson was the Brian Piccolo to his Gale Sayers.  Let's hope the trend continues.

Munson

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 04, 2009, 03:53:11 PM
Brown went to highschool with Munson.  Apparently, practicing against Munson everyday made him the player he is today

Indeed he did.

Nicest kid in the world too, pretty humble guy. And one hell of a WR.

Our starting WR my senior year was about 6'2 and a junior, very fast, pretty good hands, and we made it to the championship game...Justin was a freshman...and after the freshman season ended, he came up and started pushing for play time immediately, got a good amount of snaps during the playoff games and such. I went back to watch some games after I graduated, including the championship game the next year....he's just a freak. Caught a 30 yard TD pass in the corner of the endzone in the championship game in pouring rain and strong winds. Our offense was very very VERY run heavy (We had the state's leading rusher my soph-senior seasons, if I remember correctly), and yet he still drew all the attention he did. So good for him.

I am a small bit suprised he chose PSU over Rutgers, if only because he was pretty good friends with the Treml twins who chose to go to Rutgers. In Delaware football talk that no one will really care about, The Treml twins graduated from the same high school as a kid who got a scholarship at Syracuse as a RB....Darrell Smith. Dude was huge. Ran me the farg over in our playoff game against them.

That makes 3 PSU players from Delaware now....I don't follow PSU that closely, FF, but do you know if Sczcerba is going to get any PT at tight end this year? I know he's been playing special teams, don't know what the TE situation is up there. I know Devon Still has been injury prone (Torn ACL and broken ankle in back to back seasons), but apparently has impressed the coaches enough to compete for some play time this year. Dude's farging huge, 6'5 300+.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PoopyfaceMcGee

JoePa has a habit of changing his rotation and changing guys' positions unexpectedly.  However it might appear Sczerba (sp?) would fit into the mix, it could easily change between now and April (Blue/White game), and April and August.

Seabiscuit36

Eric Lattimore is from Middletown, i havent seen him line up but from reading the team is pretty high on him. 

Brown was apparently a pretty good DB so you never know if Joe is gonna pull a Justin King
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

hes not...they needed wr's badly in this class
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 04, 2009, 07:52:02 PM
Eric Lattimore is from Middletown, i havent seen him line up but from reading the team is pretty high on him. 

Brown was apparently a pretty good DB so you never know if Joe is gonna pull a Justin King

Oh yeah I completely forgot about Lattimore. I hadn't really heard anything about him since he graduated. What posistion is he playing at PSU?

And yeah Brown did a pretty nice job at safety, but PSU just graduated their top 3 WR's...I don't think they plan on switching him anytime soon.

I just read they still have two senior TE's, so I don't know how much Szczerba's going to play TE....But at 6'6, you figure he's gotta get in there some time.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Seabiscuit36

DE last i saw.  He's a freak size wise, just needs to get on the field to show what he can do. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Munson

Yeah, Middletown breeds em big down there. The school itself is (was) the biggest in the state. My freshman year our team was like 45 kids deep...they rolled up to the freshman game with like 80+ kids. We were the biggest D2 school in the state too...

Concord's gettin moved up to D1 this year, and they just graduated Brown and the only lineman they had with size. They're fargkkkkked.

Munson

PoopyfaceMcGee

Seabiscuit36

http://delawareonline.com/article/20090205/SPORTS07/902050348/-1/frontpage2
QuotePat Devlin: UD hopes Penn State's loss is a huge gain

By KEVIN TRESOLINI
The News Journal

NEWARK -- Pat Devlin just wanted to play. At Penn State, that might not have happened for another year.

That, Devlin felt, was too late.

At the University of Delaware, it should happen immediately -- much to the benefit, he hopes, of the Blue Hens.

In some of his first public comments since his transfer, known since December but finally announced by Delaware on Wednesday, Devlin said he wasn't willing to bide his time at Penn State anymore.

As a sophomore last season, the 6-foot-4, 222-pound Devlin backed up Daryll Clark, a junior. Devlin completed 25 of 47 passes (53.2 percent) for 459 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions. Most notably, he spearheaded a 13-6 win at Ohio State Oct. 25 in relief of the injured Clark that ultimately clinched Penn State's spot in the Rose Bowl.

With the same situation looming in 2009, Devlin sought a better opportunity and looked first -- and only -- at Delaware, an hour from his Downingtown, Pa., home and with a track record as a proving ground frustrated I-A quarterbacks.

"It got to a point where I haven't played in three years," Devlin said Wednesday. "And maybe just playing one year, you might have to knock the rust off the first half of the year playing.

"I wanted to go to a place where I felt I'd be put in a better situation."

He'll have two years of eligibility beginning this fall at Delaware, which didn't get the polished quarterback play it was used to from junior Robby Schoenhoft, an Ohio State transfer, nor redshirt freshman Lou Ritacco last fall. That was just one of the problems that befell the Blue Hens in a 4-8 season, the losingest in school history. Neither Schoenhoft nor Ritacco is returning.

Since K.C. Keeler became UD coach in 2002, he had Andy Hall (Georgia Tech), Sonny Riccio (Missouri) and Joe Flacco (Pittsburgh) spend two years as the starting quarterback after transferring.

Hall sparked Delaware to the 2003 NCAA Division I-AA title and was drafted by the Eagles. Flacco's play keyed UD's run to the 2007 title game, which it lost to Appalachian State. He was a first-round draft pick and rookie sensation as a starter with the Ravens.

"Pat is probably the most proven quarterback we've brought in in terms of, he's had playing time," Keeler said. "Obviously a great pedigree in terms of his high school program, great recruiting base in terms of who recruited him and he actually did play in Big Ten ballgames. So we feel very fortunate."

At Downingtown East High, Devlin set a Pennsylvania high school record by throwing for 8,162 career yards. He committed to Miami (Fla.) before reconsidering after coaching staff changes and signed with Penn State.

Devlin informed Penn State of his decision to transfer before the Rose Bowl and immediately left the team. Knowing Delaware's football tradition and quarterback history, it was an easy first place to look. But it was the idyllic setting and UD's academic prowess that helped convince him to look no further, said Devlin, a finance major.

"The mix of academics and athletics is very good," said Devlin, whose visit included a close look at UD's Excelon Trading Center. "I met Dr. [Robert] Schweitzer [professor in business and economics] and it just blew me away learning about the banks in the state and the opportunities in the area."

The opportunity in football attracted him here in the first place though, and Flacco's success, Devlin said, "was inspiring more than anything else." He could see the good that came from Flacco's drop down to I-AA and felt he could benefit, too.

"The thing you understand about Pat is, you're getting a leader. You're getting a guy who wants to be challenged. You're getting a guy who ... he's born to do this," Keeler said.

Devlin has worked some with Delaware receivers, who like what they see.

"My initial impression was, he has a good arm," Mark Duncan said. "He has such a smooth release, it looks like he's throwing the ball effortlessly. But when you catch it, it gets there fast. He's very accurate."

Spring practice begins March 20.

"I can't wait," Devlin said. "I'm so excited to throw the ball around a little."

phattymatty

phattymatty

another good win.  if they can take one of two against illinois, i think they're in the tourney.

phattymatty

i'm think i'm one of the few people in the world who like the big ten network.  penn state had a solid win tonight.  ugly as hell, they only scored 38 and still won by 5.  set the record for least total points in assembly hall by almost 15.

they'll have over 20 wins and will be between 2-5 in the big ten.  they're in.

MDS

its possible it could come down to psu, temple and a handful of other teams and temple did beat psu in state college.

i would put them in but theyre lookin good now
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.