Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 29, 2007, 07:48:15 PM

True, Sus.  The only thing I'm not sure of is whether or not you would be able to find the same color/tone/pattern.  When I put mine down, it was very inexpensive because that particular style was being discontinued so they had it on clearance.  So if I had to worry about replacing that stuff in a few years I'd likely have to find something different.....which I guess isn't really a bad thing but if you happen to really like the particular floor you put in and find that it's not available when you need to replace it then it'd be kind of a let down. 

Actually, I would most likely replace the whole thing anyway, and welcome the chance to change the overall look of the room.

Drunkmasterflex

Hardwood floors are very easy to install, as far as how long you let it stay in the room it is going to be installed, a week is good enough anything longer than that is purely overkill.  The biggest thing is make sure your joints are staggered.  Also if your room is a square room that is way out of square gradually try to pull it out.  That way when you get to the end it won't look retarded because you had to make some ridiculous cut. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Cerevant

On wood floors - I haven't installed them, but don't buy the cheap shtein laminate that comes in planks "3 boards" wide.  You can see the seams, and it looks cheap.

On dimmers - make sure you buy a dimmer that is made for a fan if that is what you are hooking it up to.  Inductive loads (motors) work differently than resistive (lightbulbs).  Also, note the comment that dimmers don't work with standard cfl's.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

mussa

I was just going to start a thread about home improvements. I just moved in with my girl into a house that we're planning on fixing and selling in a few years. we gutted the upstairs and am going to make a office and a bedroom up there for now. in the future i would like to add a dormer for extra space and add another full bathroom and a big closet. but for now we are just going to redo the existing upstairs and add heat ducts, new electricity, insulation, skylights, drywall and finish. its a big project but we have alot of friends in construction, electrical and plumbing so we are going to save a ton of money getting them to help and not pay some ridiculous amounts of money for a contractor to do it.

we want to add hardwood upstairs, but am up in the air as to what kind. i'd like to get the pergo and do it up quick and cheap and have it look good to sell in a few years. ive never done any hardwood flooring so its all knew to me. im just excited to do this type of work. its not at all the kind of work i do for a living so its nice to get the hands dirty and learn something new. im sure i'll have lots of questions for this thread in the near future.

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 29, 2007, 07:59:56 PM
You're only mad because you didn't think of it first.  Now go whittle yourself a dildo and farg yourself. 

post of the year?  :-D :-D :-D
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

methdeez

I just put in a open air porch

PoopyfaceMcGee

If you look closely, you can see melting snow in the back of the truck.

Tomahawk

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 29, 2007, 07:59:56 PM
Now go whittle yourself a dildo and farg yourself. 

Nicely done

Wingspan

Word to the wise...Never, and I mean NEVER call the company Empire Today....for any reason.

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Zanshin

The commercials should have been annoying enough to turn you off.

Wingspan

My rationale was that they've been around so long, that maybe they were worth a look.

Here's how my floor prices look...

550 sq ft, Bruce 2.25 hardwood.

Self Install
Wood= $2200
Tool Rental & nails= $25-50 per day= $250
Total: $2600ish

Home Depot Purchase and Installation: $4500

Lowes Pruchase and Installation $4200 (longer install wait)

General Contractor $5200

Empire Today $8,900
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SunMo

holy shtein...did they figure you getting two layers of wood floor?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PoopyfaceMcGee

They put bits of dead hookers under the floor panels.  That's how you know it's good.

reese125

550 sq ft for $8900?

Who's leading Empire's team? Jesus?

Thats unheard of.

Wingspan

Thier markup on the wood was nuts. Almost $200 a carton (which is about 20 sq feet each if i remember right)

Their sales tactic is high high pressure as well. First off, they will not give you the estimate unless you give a $25 deposit. But they don't tell you that until after they spent an hour measuring every little crevice of a room. So no matter what, you book them for installation, and it is up to you to call them and cancel within 3 days.

Apparently their carpet prices are just as bad.

I am probably going to have Home Depot install the floor since I dont have the time to take 2 weekends to do this. Home Depot assured me they can install it in one day, and then check it and put the quarter round strips on the second day. Fine by me, and it will be in before christmas.
Connection Problems

PoopyfaceMcGee

So, you actually paid empire $25?