War with Iran

Started by MURP, February 08, 2006, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

romey dont troll

he wants to see dead brown people
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

I might be a canadian?

Quote"The rapid and unimpeded access of relief via a humanitarian corridor is essential to address the urgent needs of civilians in Gaza," Trudeau said in a statement. "Hamas does not represent the Palestinian people nor their legitimate aspirations. Canada fully supports Israel's right to defend itself in accordance with international law. We continue to call for the immediate release of all hostages and demand that they be treated in accordance with international law."
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagaholic

It should be noted that Hamas itself is not unified in the least and has dozens of factions within it. I'd think it's likely some Hamasians said WTF! when the attack went down. Not that they wouldn't to see Israel hit, but realized the scope and what the aftermath would mean.

Hopefully the people of Gaza, if there are any left, will get rid of Hamas. In the West Bank they at least have some modicum of coexistence and common ground. Israel offered to bulldoze fewer homes with people inside and build settlements on top of them. Moved by this magnanimous gesture of good faith the PLO agreed not to shell hospitals and playgrounds, even on Jewish high holy days. This can serve as a functional model of cooperation for the people of Gaza and our republican party.   

Diomedes

Gaza is basically a prison camp with 2M people.  I don't know how the people could throw Hamas off and govern themselves/send forward better representation under the conditions Israel imposes.  Gangs are what you get in prisons.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagaholic

It's true that Hamas has purged most political opposition, but they aren't especially popular either. As mentioned, there are a great many factions who, quite surprisingly, don't agree on everything and aren't well organized. Many scenarios could play out which would oust the current regime.

One is that Israel completely, mercilessly and utterly demolishes Hamas. Even if it means block to block, door to door, room to room searches which could take weeks or into years. Not a bad bet on that one.

Another possibility is a kinder gentler Hamas 3.0 emerges which lays down arms and recognizes Israel's right to exist. Or a rebranding into another name that does the somewhat same.

Or, especially in the absence of any functional remnant, another opposition party comes to power. In any case, what's left is not your father's Hamas. Despite the abject intelligence failure (which hopefully spells the end of Bibi's career though I'm not holding my breath), Israeli intelligence is no joke and they know who the players are.

I won't drone on about the capability of Israeli surveillance (yes, pun intended). But the counter argument to be made is the fly in the ointment - big bucks. Iran supplies hundreds of millions of dollars in 'aid' to Hamas (as do lesser reported players like Qatar and Turkeyeiyi), and as long as there is big money on the table there will be takers. Still, I don't think it will amount to anything in the end.