David Beckham leaving Real Madrid for MLS

Started by BigEd76, January 11, 2007, 01:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

rjs246

Quote from: BigEd76 on January 11, 2007, 01:36:26 PM
ESPN

Los Angeles Galaxy....5 yrs, $250M

Definitely Two Hundred and Fifty Million. Definitely. MLS teams can't pay that shtein.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

BigEd76

Part of that is endorsements.  The article says he makes $32M/yr in salary and endorsements now.

FYI for people that didn't see this previously:
QuoteThe "Beckham Rule" will give MLS teams the authority to acquire players outside the $2 million-per-team salary cap, which will be "significantly" increased to accommodate the new policy, MLS deputy commissioner Ivan Gazidis said.

MLS, which for 11 years has paid all players out of a central fund, will be responsible for up to $400,000 of the player's salary, but the rest will paid for by the team.

Each team initially will receive one "designated player" roster slot, which can be traded among teams. No team, however, will be allowed more than two designated players.

Rome

That's a shteinload of money for a washed-up, one-trick-pony of a midfielder.

MDS

Yea pretty much. What they need to do is buy Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Man U and the rest of the good soccer teams...and move them to America. Then people will care. Since that's not happening, this move will prove to be a giant waste of money for LA.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

I know it's completely implausible but what they should do is create an expansion team of American all-stars and enter it in the English Premier League.  Think of it, teams from England could come to America and our team could go there to play the best that England has to offer.

I'd be a hell of a lot more interested in that than the MLS.

MDS

you mean MLS all-stars? most of the good american players are playing in europe. thats where the money is.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

MLS all-stars not playing abroad wouldn't be able to compete in the Premiership.

I'm saying in a hypothetical scenario, American players regardless of club affiliation would have the opportunity to play for an American All-Star team that would be a regular member of the Premiership.

Like I said, implausible, I know. . .

BigEd76

BlueHeart

QuoteThe article says he makes $32M/yr in salary and endorsements now.

I gotta start playing soccer.

Bah... soccer sucks.
Maybe the voices aren't real, but, they've got some pretty good ideas...

SunMo

ESPN did a poll and 60% of the people voting said they still don't care about soccer
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Diomedes

Perhaps I'm mistaken,  but I doubt many soccer fans are reading/voting at ESPN.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

They play soccer in the US? Do they serve orange wedges at halftime?

hunt

i can't imagine any circumstance where i'd watch a soccer game.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is