Philadelphia

Started by Diomedes, October 19, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 18, 2018, 10:53:22 AM
i think austin ultimately gets it

id put philly at about 6th to 8th best out of that list

I agree on Austin.

It would be great for the city but I think it's a real long shot.

ice grillin you

my only question on austin is public transportation...have you been there?

people who have can speak on it way better than me obviously but one of the big criteria for amazon was public transpo and i feel like austin has like buses and thats it....does it have a train system?

also i didnt realize this HQ is going to provide 50,000 jobs....thats insane

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

and the dope in charge says amazon is ruining the universe.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

QB Eagles

Austin has commuter rail but it's a joke.

Overall they provide everything a tech company needs which is why my company and a million other tech firms have big offices there.

If Amazon wants to take more of a blatant leadership position in a city I wouldn't be surprised by Atlanta. One of the up and coming tech areas and there's a number of economic and workforce advantages to having their business there. Again transportation would be the weak point.

I don't think Philly is out of the running by any stretch though. I feel it's a solid contender among that group.

MDS

i have a feeling they want to be on the east coast...what would be the point in opening up another campus but not going to the opposite side of the country?

austin makes sense as like their 3rd location whenever that happens
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

they are going where the best deal is...geography and a lot of the things they are claiming are important like public trans probably range anywhere from complete bullshtein to serve as a tie breaker

basically whatever place gives them the sweetest deal is where they are going
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

A good chunk of Amazon's revenue comes from streaming services, either their own or ones they host for other people. Comcast is leading the push to kill that for them, so the real question is if they want to shtein on Comcast in their own home or not.

The man. The myth. The legend.

phattymatty

3 of the 20 left are basically the same place, DC, Nova and montgomery county MD so i'd put money on it being here. although people here bitch about the metro it's still one of the best in the country....plus being so close to nyc, philly etc. can't hurt. 

phattymatty

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 18, 2018, 11:05:15 AM
my only question on austin is public transportation...have you been there?

people who have can speak on it way better than me obviously but one of the big criteria for amazon was public transpo and i feel like austin has like buses and thats it....does it have a train system?

also i didnt realize this HQ is going to provide 50,000 jobs....thats insane

i go to austin about twice a year and I love the city but you are correct public transporation is buses that's it. shtein they just recently got uber because they fought it for so long...which is odd considering they're supposed to be the new slicon valley.  i don't see austin getting it just because even though they didn't specifically say it they want it in the NE.

MDS

war on drugs won the grammy for best rock album
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Happy Black History month. After the Superbowl and court mayhem is over, I'm taking my daughter around the city to appreciate some African American culture. We sponsor two children from Kenya through Child Fund, my daughter has become pen pals with both girls.

Here's a list of events in Philly they're having for the month:

http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/black-history-month-in-philadelphia/

Bunch of kids painted these statues, they're placed all around the city including the Art Museum:

https://whyy.org/articles/capa-students-paint-mlk-statues-displayed-around-philly/

MDS

ex congressman jon fox has died

youll be happy to know i met him once at synagogue

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

MDS

bovada removed philly from the who gets amazon hq2 odds

phattymatty

it's going to arlington, va.