Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

Quote from: Munson on April 14, 2018, 02:27:06 PM
We want/need to get the yard on one side of the house regraded, but googling contractors in the area is mostly a bust. Is HomeAdvisor a good way to find good people to do the work? Never used it before.

I don't think so, but I live in podunk Peoria. Ask around for referrals from people you trust

Diomedes

Quote from: Tomahawk on April 14, 2018, 04:13:52 PMAsk around for referrals from people you trust

This is the way to go.

Do you know a good plumber?  Ask him.  He knows everyone.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

When I bought my house the previous owners had already moved out and didnt dewinterize the house so a pipe burst and flooded the downstairs. Pipe was fixed and they replaced the carpet with a cheap neutral colored carpet so they could sell the place. I already restored 90% of the house. I really wanted hardwood, bought some really nice laminate (pergo) that's scratch resistant because my dog is nuts. Spent the last two days installing it, my god it looks amazing.

smeags

Quote from: AO1 on April 04, 2019, 10:42:46 AM
When I bought my house the previous owners had already moved out and didnt dewinterize the house so a pipe burst and flooded the downstairs. Pipe was fixed and they replaced the carpet with a cheap neutral colored carpet so they could sell the place. I already restored 90% of the house. I really wanted hardwood, bought some really nice laminate (pergo) that's scratch resistant because my dog is nuts. Spent the last two days installing it, my god it looks amazing.

did you get the water resistant/proof ?
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Diomedes

Don't believe the hype.  There is no such thing as water proof.  Water destroys everything.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

smeags

Quote from: Diomedes on April 04, 2019, 12:15:57 PM
Don't believe the hype.  There is no such thing as water proof.  Water destroys everything.

yeah true, if there is a flood everything under the flooring has to be replaced anyway.

the main thing is not needing new flooring because a spill is left on it over night.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SD

Quote from: smeags on April 04, 2019, 10:51:28 AM
Quote from: AO1 on April 04, 2019, 10:42:46 AM

did you get the water resistant/proof ?

Yeah it's the good stuff.

Munson

Anyone have any experience with planting Zoysia grass seed? Our back yard is more or less a mess, but prob can't afford to do sod for a few years, I was thinking of maybe just planting some seeds out there and hoping for the best. Literally any growth would be better than what we have now, so I'm not even looking for a perfect lawn, just some grass coverage on otherwise barren areas.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Buy a tiller. Plant seeds. Water regularly.

General_Failure

Or make some little garden beds. Less watering, looks nicer for less effort.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Munson

We're going solar. Had to do some negotiation, which basically consisted of me saying "no" when the dude quoted us a price that was way higher than what I knew average cost was for a 5 KW system. Ended up knocking roughly $9000 off the price when all was said and done. Panels are top quality and guaranteed for 25 years.

We're owning the panels but via a loan, which was not what I wanted to do if and when we went solar, but that was also because I assumed we'd have to put money down, but the deal we got requires no money down from us. So not only no money down from us, but between the fed tax credit and a state grant incentive, we're gonna get about $9000 in cash. If we choose to not put any of that cash towards the loan within the first 18 months, SREC credits and our current electric usage, our monthly payments would end up costing us roughly ~$250 more per year than what we currently pay in electric bills each year. But we will be putting some of that cash towards the loan, and even if we didn't, we're willing to pay a little bit more for the clean energy. Plus the power company around here ups the electric rates every year anyway.

Also a small chance we end up selling the house in a couple of years, so this'll add value and we can pay off the panels with the extra money from the sale, so the people coming in would be coming in to a house with no electric bill.

But yeah getting the tax credit and state grant was a huge thing. We'll put some of that into the loan principle but use the rest of it to help pay for some other work we wanna get done around the house.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

I know a guy who's got some top notch symbolic wind turbines for sale

Diomedes

crowing a bit...here a recent project I'm proud of

link

PhillyPhreak54

Hot damn that looks good. Great job.

General_Failure

Man, I do not miss fixing up a crumbling house. Great job. I can smell the difference from those pictures.

Meanwhile, I painted my kitchen during the hurricane that didn't actually hit us. A slightly smaller project than yours. https://imgur.com/a/IAF7opJ

The man. The myth. The legend.