What are you listening to?

Started by MURP, September 17, 2004, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

I don't know about a top 50 list, but greatest vocals ever in my opinion are Aretha Franklin.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

the problem with lists like that is not so much the people included its the people not included because they dont have a high enough Q rating

michael jackson at one is a bad joke
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 09, 2018, 12:40:57 PM
I can't imagine there are many lists out there that don't have Elvis ranked top 5.

I'm not really an Elvis fan or anything, but I suspect I'm like most people and like a few of his songs. But when you strip away all the fluff that surrounds him, that dude could flat out sing. Any song, any genre. Rock, Pop, Country, Soul, Blues, Gospel, Boring White Jesus Songs....motherfarging nursery rhymes...Elvis could sing the farg out of it.

I'd also have to say that any seriously credible list would probably have the likes of David Bowie, Freddy Mercury, Elton John, Celine Dion, Adele, or Janis Joplin well within their top 50.  And I'm sure there's plenty more that could be added.

So yeah, lots of really good white singers out there.

theres some great ones but i dont think any crack the top 50 but i could easily not be thinking of a few which is why i was asking...freddie mercury was amazing...i forgot about him....

but forget motown atco and stax biggest artists....theres probably 10-15 soul singers just from the 70's that no one really knows about who would make a top 50 all time

General_Failure

There's at least ten names on that list that are there just to represent genres and do not belong at all. Dio, Danzing, Iggy, and Bob Dylan? Not only that, but Bob Dylan two spots ahead of Prince?  They've got Maynard and Mike Patton in the middle, or even on the list at all, instead of Trent Rezner or Burton Bell? I'll listen to Tom Waits or Louis Armstrong all day if you want, but you could replace them with a throat cancer survivor and I wouldn't even notice.

Six to two is a pretty nice list, though.

The man. The myth. The legend.

QB Eagles

Quote from: General_Failure on January 09, 2018, 03:18:45 PM
just to represent genres

Genre is going to be the problem with any list like this. By the standards of a soul or jazz singer, few rock singers would make this list. By the standards of an opera singer, few soul or jazz singers would make the list. But most people don't give a shtein about opera, and a lot of people don't care about soul or jazz either.

So the best you can do is say "here are the best singers who sold X many records", knowing that obviously vastly more vocally talented people are going to be left out.

smeags

its too subjective of a subject to find a pure list IMO.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

Bob Dylan?

i stopped at michael jackson and im glad i did....dylan is known as one of the greatest lyricists of all time and not just because he was a great songwriter...he literally has a garbage voice

SD

Quote from: QB Eagles on January 09, 2018, 03:33:25 PM
just to represent genres

Genre is going to be the problem with any list like this. By the standards of a soul or jazz singer, few rock singers would make this list. By the standards of an opera singer, few soul or jazz singers would make the list. But most people don't give a shtein about opera, and a lot of people don't care about soul or jazz either.

So the best you can do is say "here are the best singers who sold X many records", knowing that obviously vastly more vocally talented people are going to be left out.

This is where I'm at. Bob Dylan might not have the greatest vocals but for his style of music his vocals are spot on. I love Johnny Cash but he doesn't belong in the top 20, but for his genre he is a great representative of vocals that represent that style of music. I think that's what the list is about, not so much the Whitney Houstons of the world who can hit unreal high notes.

There's at least ten names on that list that are there just to represent genres and do not belong at all. Dio, Danzing, Iggy, and Bob Dylan? Not only that, but Bob Dylan two spots ahead of Prince?  They've got Maynard and Mike Patton in the middle, or even on the list at all, instead of Trent Rezner or Burton Bell? I'll listen to Tom Waits or Louis Armstrong all day if you want, but you could replace them with a throat cancer survivor and I wouldn't even notice.

Six to two is a pretty nice list, though.

Maynard is ranked 90. He has unbelievable vocals. I'd of ranked him higher.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: AO1 on January 09, 2018, 05:18:32 PM
Quote from: QB Eagles on January 09, 2018, 03:33:25 PM
just to represent genres

This is where I'm at. Bob Dylan might not have the greatest vocals but for his style of music his vocals are spot on. I love Johnny Cash but he doesn't belong in the top 20, but for his genre he is a great representative of vocals that represent that style of music. I think that's what the list is about, not so much the Whitney Houstons of the world who can hit unreal high notes.

Pretty much.  I mean, obviously professional singers have really good voices, though some may not have dynamic range (Johnny Cash for example), and need to stick to a very specific style of music to get the most out of their voice.

So when it comes to best singers ever, I would be inclined to have people with range and can sing multiple genres. Whitney, Aretha, Elvis, Marvin Gay, Cher, etc, etc.  Their voices transcend any specific genre, imo. 

Quote from: AO1 on January 09, 2018, 05:18:32 PM
I'd of ranked him higher.

Have. You would have ranked him higher.

Zanshin

I shtein you not when I say my kid is the luckiest soul in the universe. So, you owe him for the Super Bowl victory for doing a song for them to get them over the edge. I mean, that's at least as plausible as Foles looking like that.

https://www.facebook.com/JakeThistleMusic/videos/2010511975903082/

hbionic

That was an awesome rendition.

Your boy is good! Can't wait to see him in concert.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Zanshin

He hit next level happy when the Laurie started talking about Tom Petty being a big part of the win...they did a Petty tribute when he died, and kept it going. Won't Back Down became a big thing for them. His two worlds colliding right there.

ice grillin you

so the eagles greatest hits passed thriller as the all time biggest selling album in music history