the brag about your sports memorabilia here thread

Started by Sgt PSN, October 24, 2009, 09:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

i'm relatively weak in the memorabilia category.....nothing in comparison to the swapmeet going on in munson's uncle's basement, but the few items i have are pretty good collector's items and ones that i cherish:

post 'em if you got 'em.  pics would be best. 

• richie asburn auto baseball (bought at a show)
  • ltd edition lithograph of richie ashburn sliding into home against the brooklyn dodgers
  • mike schmidt auto stat ball (in addition to his signature, he also listed all his career stats including mvp's, hof induction, # gold gloves, etc) (bought at a show)
  • mike schmidt auto jersey (auto'd at a show)
  • inqy front page of schmidt hitting his 500th hr
  • tsn cover of schmidt winning tsn 80's player of the decade
  • pete rose auto baseball (auto'd at a show)
  • ryan howard auto bat (auto'd at a show)
  • tommy lasorda autographed program from a celebration banquet thrown for him by the borough of norristown after he won the 1981 ws (auto'd at the dinner)
  • brooks robinson auto baseball (auto'd at a show)
  • ron hextall auto 8x10 (auto'd at a flyers game)
  • ken griffey jr auto 8x10 (auto'd at a mariners game)
  • priest holmes auto 8x10
  • 1984 uncut sheet of 72 basketball cards featuring in game cards from the 76ers 83 finals vs the lakers.  also includes 2 dominique wilkins and 2 james worthy rookie cards
  • brandon rush auto'd ku hat and book (auto'd at a book signing
  • vet stadium turf plaque
  • various player plaques
  • numerous player jerseys

i got the howard bat his rookie year and hopefully can catch him at a show in the future to see if i can get him to inscribe his roy, mvp and ws championship years on it as well. 

i've seen igy's collection of jerseys and it's pretty damn awesome.  i wish i had kept the jerseys i bought when i was in my late teens/early 20's that don't fit me anymore.  i think all i have left from those years is a barry sanders and micheal jordan.  had some buddy era jerseys when i was a teen that i passed off to other family members when i got too big.  that was dumb. 

ice grillin you

that howard bat is awesome.....how big/heavy is it...and i dont mean give me the ounces and length of the bat but just holding it does seem like something captain caveman would bring to the bar
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

it's a black glomar bat, so compared with other "official" bats, it doesn't hold as much value.  although i don't collect anything with hopes of selling it 20 yrs from now.  it's signed with a silver marker so the signature really jumps off the bat and looks pretty bad ass.  but it is a full size bat with some good weight to it.  the only times i've actually touched it are whenever i move and have to take it out of the case for packing.  but yeah, it feels like a club.

i'll put some pics up tomorrow when i get home from work.   

Geowhizzer

Almost all of my memorabilia I have gotten personally.  The only benefit of living in Florida for me - spring training.  Haven't gotten out the past few years, though.  The cost of having kids.

Most of mine aren't big-ticket items, but ones that have some personal connection to me.

Autographed baseballs:
Robin Roberts (the only one I've bought; is PSA/DNA Certified)
Mike Schmidt (ST)
Ryan Howard (ST)
Harry Kalas (After a Phils-Marlins Game)
Jimmy Rollins (ST)
Warren Spahn (Local appearance at the minor league stadium)
Bob Feller (Local appearance at the minor league stadium)

Maybe my favorite (and at the same time sad) signed ball is Tug McGraw.  He had a crowd around him, telling jokes, laughing, having a great time and holding court.  He looked tan and healthy.  The next week was when he was diagnosed with brain cancer.

I have a bunch more baseballs (probably about 100) of various players ranging from Kirby Puckett and Paul Molitor to Minor leaguers that never panned out.  90%+ of the baseballs at least made the major leagues.  The majority of them are from the Phils (due), Twins and Red Sox (they both train in Ft. Myers).  I did get Mark Teixeira athe last year the Rangers trained in Port Charlotte. I knew he was a big prospect and took a chance. 

One of my most fun trinkets is probably not worth a dime, but is one of my favorite sports memories.  A pitcher named Brad Thomas for the Ft. Myers Miracle pitched a no-hiter at Port Charlotte (about an hour north of where i live, 30 minutes north of Ft. Myers).  My nephews and I went to the game (before kids, when I could just pick up and go during the summer) on a lark, and were in the crowd of about 50 that actually saw the game (the Miracle draw well in Ft. Myersbut the Charlotte stadium is basically in the middle of nowhere).  I was able to get a ball (not THE ball of course, but one from the game that was fouled off) and my ticket signed.  Thomas did get a cup of coffee in the bigs, but nothing more.  Still, a fun memory for me.

A few other items:
Steve Carlton signed 8X10 (bought)
Greg Luzinski signed bat (in an open house for a local builder who happened to be the father of one of my students)
Mike Schmidt (ST)
Jimmy Rollins (8X10, of a picture I took at a prior ST trip.  Jimmy's Comment:  "Looks like a hit")
Mike Lieberthal (another 8X10 that I took)
Rod Brind'Amour Flyers jersey (for some reason the Hurricanes trained in Ft. Myers a few years)
Jevon Kearse toddler-sized jersey (was my son's, lives locally and made an appearance for the grand opening of the local Bass Pro Shop)
Dr. J card (during college, signed at the local Acme.  Came 15 minutes early and talked with us before signing.)
Reggie White (His "Minister of Defense" book at a bookstore signing)
1998 Clearwater Phillies ball (Has Rollins, Burrell and Eric Valent on it)
Torii Hunter broken bat from ST (autographed)

I have over 1,000 cards autographed, almost all from spring training.

I have a Phillies ST schedule signed by Ed Wade somewhere. 

I was a real autograph hound for a few years at the spring training sites, but I've backed way off the past few years, and didn't go to any spring training sites last year (first year since I moved down here in 1993)

One other item I was given by a student last year, and have no idea if it is authentic.  I would lean to no, but this kid would have no knowledge of the people on the ball.  He said that his mom gave it to him.  It is a softball with the signatures of Hillary Clinton, "Pres Huck" and John McCain.  Why he had it, and why he gave it to me (other than being his history teacher) is a mystery to me.

I've never collected to re-sell, just for fun.  I love baseball, and love watching the practices and drills and just being out in the warm Florida February sun for a few hours.  I'm going to try to take my son to one this year.  He may be old enough to appreciate it a little more now.

I have a Barack Obama bobblehead at school that I got last year at the local minor league stadium.

And, Sarge, I had the 1980 Phils yearbook signed by Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Tug McGraw and Dallas Green.  Somehow it got lost.  I was a stupid third-grader, and have no idea what happened to it.  I did buy a yearbook on eBay a few years ago for next to nothing, but it's not the same.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 24, 2009, 10:25:54 PM
And, Sarge, I had the 1980 Phils yearbook signed by Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Tug McGraw and Dallas Green.  Somehow it got lost.  I was a stupid third-grader, and have no idea what happened to it.  I did buy a yearbook on eBay a few years ago for next to nothing, but it's not the same.

die.  lol.  that's actually a pretty awesome list of stuff. 

i hate spending any money at all on autographs because they really don't mean as much if you don't get them in person but seeing as i'm usually anywhere but in/around philly, my only real option is to catch athletes i like at shows and pay their $20-30 fee to sign whatever item i happen to bring.

the astros have a single a affiliate where i live (lancaster jethawks).  maybe i'll start autograph hounding at the games next year and get lucky with 1 or 2 of them some day. 

the ken griffey jr auto 8x10 is one of my favs because i was on the color guard for the opening ceremony of a mariners game back in the 90's and griffey came over and talked with us for a few minutes during pre game warms ups and told us to come back down to the field after the game and he'd give us some autographs.  i also spoke with jamie moyer, randy johnson, jay buhner, edgar martinez and tino martinez before the game as well.  griff was the only one to offer an auto.....which was odd because i'd always heard that he wasn't big on giving them out. 

the tommy lasorda auto is pretty unique.  he was a friend of my grandfather's so when he came back to norristown after winning the 81 series, my grandfather took me to the dinner to meet him and tommy signed the program for me. 

i've also got a (lol) rich kotite auto laying around somewhere.  i worked as a waiter for a catering company while in high school and there was some club/organization from the main line that was having a luncheon and kotite was the guest speaker and he signed the program for me as well. 

also have a bob hope auto from another event that i catered but unless you want to consider him a golfer, then i don't think it falls under the sports memorabillia category. 

Geowhizzer

One thing that I used to do was  find out when each team's team card set giveaway night was, and go to those games.  I would drive as far as Clearwater (3 hours away, and the Phils' affiliate, of course), but definitely hit Ft. Myers, Port Charlotte and Sarasota (about 90 minutes).  Get the free set, try to get them signed (not too hard for position players at tehse games, but more difficult with the pitchers in some parks).

I did one stint in a parking lot after a spring training practice (Reds in Sarasota). Ended up getting Barry Larkin, but I hated it and never did it again.

Closest I got to getting Griffey was him stepping on my nephew's foot walking to the field (not as many barricades then).  He never signed for a soul when I was there.

Seabiscuit36

My favorite of all my memorabilia is the Reggie White Rookie card i have and the Jerome rookie card both signed at a show when i was a kid.  My bro has Jerome's rookie card signed.  Jerome was a god, dude just loved talking to kids, and talked to my bro and i for at least 5 mins. 

I have a ton of shtein, but those mean the most since i got them autographed in person. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Munson

GOddamn I havn't looked through anything in my collection in so long. I mostly have baseball cards. I do have an Eagles kelly green baseball hat signed by Randall, but that's about it. I know I have a Piazza rookie card and Chipper Jones rookie card, but neither are signed. I have a Willie Mays card too that is supposedly signed, but I doubt it's authentic.

ANd yes, as sarge mentioned, most of the good shtein is up at my dads and uncles. Autographed game worn spikes/jerseys, helmets, pictures with players autographed, etc. The vet turf is my favorite though, just because it's so damn thin. Players weren't lyin when they said it was like playin on a concrete with a piece of carpet put down on it.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

Geowhizzer

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on October 25, 2009, 08:09:37 AM
i have the nails that jesus was crucified with.

blood stained like schillings sock?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

mussa

Dawkins signed by training camp program a few years back. I prob threw it out.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Seabiscuit36

Autographed photo of Bella Donna.  She's holding a baseball bat, and if you've seen her work with that bat it's impressive
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Zanshin

I have nothing and I'll keep it that way. As much as I enjoy football, there's no way I'd put any of the players on enough of a pedestal to keep their signed crap. Just don't care.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.