okay.
14 (50%)
not okay.
14 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 14, 2007, 07:25:32 PM

Diomedes

example:

Quote from: King Cole on November 14, 2006, 07:01:37 PMWe don't go out and spend boat loads on other players but one thing we always do is re-sign our own guys if they are under 30 (excluding Trotter that one time).

Plus who says we wait until the offseason anyway? Plus they wouldn't have wanted to give up a 4th rounder for nothing and combined with the fact that he has become McNabb's favorite target when he is on the field.

I have vague memory of this discussion before.  I think I may once have said it's okay. 

If so, I was wrong, wrong, wrong. 

Not farging okay.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mpmcgraw

Not ok.                                       

MDS

i dont like to do it, but sometimes i do it. i try to say they but sometimes it aint happen. i also want to point out that mpmcgraw stopped having sex with me and has become a paranoid douche. well....guess what, dumbass. im not open anymore. so dont come calling.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

I do it,  Now if its King Cole then its a definite NO. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

its one of the worst thing a sports fan can do...with wearing an item of a different team in the same city to a game being a close 2nd.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

We had this discussion at the GB tailgate...

I use "we" but only on certain occasions.

OK instance to me;

"We signed (insert player name here)" or " We beat the shtein out of the taterskins".

Not ok;

"We have to protect the passer" or "We can't stop the run"

Wingspan

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on November 15, 2006, 09:43:57 PM

OK instance to me;

"We signed (insert player name here)" or " We beat the shtein out of the taterskins".

Not ok;

so it's "we" when things are good. but you not when things are bad?
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Wingspan on November 15, 2006, 10:39:09 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on November 15, 2006, 09:43:57 PM

OK instance to me;

Not ok;

so it's "we" when things are good. but you not when things are bad?

No.

We would still apply in "We lost the Super Bowl" or "We have a sorry team".

QB Eagles

I don't think this is something that can ever really be settled. Just about everyone has done it at one point or another, and if they aren't saying that "we" are making the plays, they are saying "our" players are, as if they own the team and the players.

What I try to stick to is this: in the heat of watching a game, things like "we need a score here" or "we can't stop their pass rush for shtein today" are acceptable. Games are emotional and people identify with their team. However, if a person uses "we" totally gratuitously ("we ran for 240 yards today -- they can't stop us!!") or when they have plenty of time to think about and be careful about what they are saying (like on an Internet message board in the middle of the week), they are in the wrong. It's a gray area sometimes.

Feva

Sometimes I say "we"... sometimes I don't.  farg you if you don't like it.  :P
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

MDS

We are all dumb for having this conversation
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

rjs246

Quote from: EagleFeva on November 16, 2006, 12:12:36 AM
Sometimes I say "we"... sometimes I don't. farg you if you don't like it.

Quote from: MDS on November 16, 2006, 01:09:48 AM
We are all dumb for having this conversation

Agreed on both counts.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

this is a VERY important discussion because this madness has to stop

saying 'we' for your team is basically as bad as it gets in fandom....you all should feel ashamed

with wearing an item of a different team in the same city to a game being a close 2nd

ive rocked eagle jerseys to phillie games (to piss the cornball seamhead phillie fans off) and sixers games (like the firday nite of some eagle playoff games)
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 16, 2006, 08:00:03 AM
this is a VERY important discussion because this madness has to stop

saying 'we' for your team is basically as bad as it gets in fandom....you all should feel ashamed

It depends on the way that it's used but I know what you're saying.

I use 'we' in certain situations.  IE:  Opposing offense is on the field and it's 3rd down.  I'll say something like "We need to stop them here."

Saying things like "We kicked your ass." or "We've got X amount of rings." and other stupid shtein like that is flat out retarded and it pisses me off.  There's being a die hard fan of a team and then there's living vicariously through that team.  Being a die hard fan is when you watch the team week in and week out regardless of how good or bad they are.  It's knowing the roster front to back.  It's being pissed off when they lose and happy when they win and back to normal within a day or 2. 

The people who live vicariously through their team really piss me the hell off.  They believe the team succeeds because of something they've done as a fan.  When their team wins it literally improves the quality of their life and they feel a sense of accomplishment and validation from it.  It makes them feel like their life has a purpose.  See ExtremeSkins for unlimited examples. 

Seeing the Eagles win a Super Bowl is a dream of mine and it always will be.  And if I'm fortunate enough to see it I'll be ecstatic.  But it won't be the crowning achievement in my life.  I won't feel like I've accomplished anything.  I won't feel as if I've achieved one of my life's goals.  I'll simply feel like I finally got reimbursed for all the money I've spent on this team and the agonizing years of futility and close, but not close enough that they've given me.  Basically, me and the Eagles will break even. 

with wearing an item of a different team in the same city to a game being a close 2nd

ive rocked eagle jerseys to phillie games (to piss the cornball seamhead phillie fans off) and sixers games (like the firday nite of some eagle playoff games)

I get more annoyed with people who wear Phillies/Flyers/Sixers gear to Eagles game than I do the other way around.  I also hate it when kids wear their h.s. football jersey to an Eagles game.  I dunno why, it just pisses me off and makes me want to split their temple with the heel of my boot. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

I heard you prefer stilettos or flip-flops.