The Coaching Search Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, December 31, 2012, 07:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Safe to say, I'm generally not prone to overreaction or hyperbole. It could work out famously...but there's nothing about it that makes me think that the rosy picture is the slam dunk. This smacks of close your eyes, swing for the fences and hope for the best. If they'd gone with Gus, I wouldn't feel that way. Nothing about Chip makes me think "Whew, surefire upgrade over the Andy regime."

Zanshin

Actually, it feels a lot like more of the same with less experience. Because if there's one thing I want to go with my lowly thought of GM with questionable experience, it's a HC with no experience. Let's just figure all this stuff out as we go along, guys.

rjs246

Also, welcome to the internet, SunMo.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Zanshin on January 16, 2013, 02:17:35 PM
What right-minded person could possibly think this is the best possible option? I mean, aside from the list of actual football reasons I hate it, he's a pretty zesty fit with the town unless he can find amazing ways to win constantly. I want to be wrong, but I feel pretty right.

as recently as six years ago...or when the eagles were losing to the saints in the scott young game chip kelly was still the new hampshire offensive coordinator...his rise has been stratospheric

Quote from: SunMo on January 16, 2013, 02:20:36 PM
i know that hating something 5 minutes after it happens is pretty rational.  nice work everyone.

hasnt really been five minutes tho...as a possibility chip kelly to eagles is at least two months old....now that hes actually coach instead of rumored to be we should change our opinion to something other than what we felt before he was eagles coach
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

its about the players, and will continue to be about the players.

49ers run a version of Kelly's offense with the zone read plays, and they are in the NFCCG two years in a row.  Bill Bellicheck invited Kelly out to NE to pick his brain and get aspects of the offensive scheme implemented in the patriots offense. 
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

General_Failure

I figure this move works out one of four ways.

1. Chip comes in, does well, quickly wins that elusive Super Bowl. Howie gets credit for bringing in the best players, becomes bigger douche.
2. Chip comes in, reaches mediocrity consistently for several seasons, switching defensive coordinators at least once. Howie isn't blamed because Chip got the players he wanted, becomes bigger douche.
3. Chip comes in, struggles to get the offense full of really good players working. Big name free agents don't sign here, Chip blamed for it. Chip eventually fired, Howie becomes bigger douche.
4. Chip comes in, gives no fargs, goes back to college next year. Howie not blamed for the hire, becomes bigger douche.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Zanshin

If they made him Offensive Coordinator, I'd have some reservations...but I'd be better than the Head Coach thing. He just seems like a zesty fit.

Zanshin

Also, even the spectre of having Vick for another year is nauseating.

General_Failure

On the plus side, there's now a chance that McCoy will get so many carries next year that even I'll get sick of seeing him.

The man. The myth. The legend.

reese125

So is there where they reach for Geno to run this offense?

Sgt PSN

Quote from: reese125 on January 16, 2013, 02:42:25 PM

Even better....This is where they trade for Dennis Dixon.

SunMo

geno smith has 117 rushing yards in the past two years.  he's not a running qb

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: reese125 on January 16, 2013, 02:42:25 PM
No thanks on Byron Leftwich pt II
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

@SheilKapadia: Re: Geno Smith - Has not been a running QB. Ran for 117 yards TOTAL in the last two years combined. Avg. 1.4 YPC in career.