Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

for the ufc/boxing thing

last night ufc got 5.7 million viewers on fox
in 2003 a lennox lewis fight got 7 million viewers on hbo

its tough to say what that means given audience changing over the past few years but id imagine a mayweather/pacman fight on regular tv would destroy what ufc got
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on November 13, 2011, 08:49:14 PM
but id imagine a mayweather/pacman fight on regular tv would destroy what ufc got

about as much as floyd would destroy pacqioww....theres way more boxing fans than ufc its just that theres nothing to bring boxing fans to the table in terms of big fights

ufc fans would watch pretty much anyone fight...its popular because its violence is on a animal instinct type level and the matches are short....you dont have to pay attention to the idosynchrocies of the sport for 45 minutes...theres a reason boxing is called the sweet science and ufc fans for the most part dont want to deal with that

ufc is like reading usa today and boxing is like the ny times...ufc can be put on in the background or at a sports bar without the sound and people still watch it even if they dont know who is fighting...that doesnt happen with boxing...

but if floyd manny was put on free tv is would be ratings murder of whatever the biggest ufc fight of all time is
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

i hate floyd but i get the feeling he would win, too

either way if every ufc fan or fighter died the world would be a better place. what an awful "sport"
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

i find it hard to even call it a sport....i really could less about it....for instance i dont despise it like soccer....to me its not sports its more on the level of a reality tv show...i just dont watch them and they or their fans dont bother me

phattymatty

not even worth arguing with people who have watched none or only a few fights but i felt the same way about it up until like a year or two ago. once you start to really watch and see the guys train and stuff there is a lot of technical skill to it. and although yeah there are probably more knockouts in UFC (since when is that a bad thing) there are still more that go to a judges decision than not.

it took years of awful boxing for me to get into it but it's really good once you start to know the fighters, terminology, etc.

although i'm psyched for the cotto-margarito fight coming up. i think cotto is the most fun to watch right now other than my man gamboa.

Quoteufc can be put on in the background or at a sports bar without the sound and people still watch it even if they don't know who is fighting...that doesnt happen with boxing...

i don't see how this is a good thing. i'm still probably a bigger boxing fan than ufc (although it's getting close) but this is the exact reason no one cares about it any more. there are 70 different title belts, no one ever knows who is who, and they pretty much market only a small handful of guys.

ice grillin you

i dont really care about either but ufc offers nothing of redeeming value...whereas i might watch a huge fight

reese125

yeah strange enough--I wrestled all through college, still watch a bunch of college wrestling on tv and have no real serious desire to watch the UFC.

it somewhat intrigues me because of the wrestling tactics involved, but its so much of the same shtein on the ground that it bores me to a degree. Nothing compares to the skill set of watching two guys going toe-toe for that many rounds, bobbing and weaving, throwing quick ass jabs and cuts seeing who falls first--unlike the UFC that where majority you bang out a double leg takedown in 2 seconds, hop on top of the guy and punch his covered face. I can see why some people like it, but its not my first choice.

phattymatty

i'm excited to see cotto-margarito tomorrow. going to be a totally different outcome without cement in margarito's gloves. cotto is going to smash his face in.

DH

excited enough to pay $50 to see it? no shot on my end

phattymatty

such a good fight last night...what boxing should always be like. you can tell when two dudes genuinely hate each other and these dudes hate each other. cotto looked as strong as i've ever seen him. just worked maragrito all night. love or hate margarito though, god damn can that can take a beating. and smile about it the whole time and just keep coming. between this and the pacman fight, i don't know if ive ever seen a guy take so much in two straight fights. beginning to end there was probably never more than 5 seconds that someone wasn't throwing. so fun to watch.

ice grillin you

me matty and my girl are goin to see amir khan in dc next saturday

Unified junior welterweight titleholder Amir Khan is taking the bold step of making his next defense in Washington, D.C. -- the hometown of Lamont Peterson, his opponent on Dec. 10.

"Khan-Peterson definitely will be in Washington, D.C.," Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com on Thursday. "We are still looking to see which venue, but it will be in Washington."

Schaefer said that Seth Mitchell (23-0-1, 17 KOs), the top American heavyweight prospect, who is from the Washington suburb of Brandywine, Md., will fight on the HBO-televised undercard against an opponent to be determined.

Schaefer said he's looking at various venues in the nation's capital but hopes to have the card take place at the Verizon Center, the city's major arena, which is home to the NHL's Capitals, NBA's Wizards and Georgetown's men's basketball team. The Hoyas have a home game scheduled for Dec. 10, but it is possible a deal could be struck to change it.

"With a big fight like Khan-Peterson, and with Peterson being from Washington, and Seth Mitchell being on the card along with some other local talent, Washington is the place for this fight," Schaefer said.

England's Khan (26-1, 18 KOs) recently visited the city and enjoyed himself as a guest at a dinner honoring Muslim athletes hosted by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Khan will be making his sixth title defense, including a fifth-round knockout of Zab Judah to unify belts on July 23 in Las Vegas.

Peterson (29-1-1, 15 KOs), the mandatory challenger, will be getting his second shot at a world title. He lost a decision to Timothy Bradley in 2009. There will be a media tour next week to promote the fight, beginning with a stop in London on Tuesday followed a visit to Washington later in the week.

phillymic2000

NBC/Versus has their fight night tonight from Philly, local talent on display. The main event is two undefeated heavy's from south and north philly.

phattymatty

so looks like mayweather-pac not going to happen again. mayweather-cotto (still a great fight) against pac-bradley maybe? i'd still watch a mayweather cotto fight but this ish is getting ridiculous.

hbionic

Anyone know how much a boxing match in vegas runs? I'm going to be in Vegas the May 5th  weekend and would like to check it out. Anyone?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

SD

Quote from: hbionic on February 01, 2012, 06:02:45 PM
Anyone know how much a boxing match in vegas runs? I'm going to be in Vegas the May 5th  weekend and would like to check it out. Anyone?

Depends on who's fighting and the arena. We're talking $50-$10,000. I was at De La Hoya/Hopkins (LA vs. Philly...and Philly kicked ass) at the MGM. The girl I was dating at the time got us tickets through her old man. They were decent seats but would have cost us $600 a piece if we had paid for them.