Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

He's probably in the top three; is Sonny Liston considered a Philly fighter even thought he wasn't born there? Joey Giardello too?

Joe Frazier is the #1.

ice grillin you

im by no means a boxing expert but of the experts i have read and heard from i have never in my life heard anyone say he is the best philly boxer of all time....while i dont agree with it philly boxing history doesnt even have him in the top 15

i always hear crafty...great defensive fighter...tough...cagey...even great career....but as far as an all around great fighter i rarely hear it

anyway wherever you think he stands in philly boxing history its a joke to even intimate that he might be the greatest philly athlete ever

and j joe wasnt born in philly either
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

phillymic2000

Joey Giardello was not born in Philly, but moved to south Philly and fought there. Not one of the Top 15 "all time" fighters are currently boxing. Other then wins on that list. His body of work dwarfs anyone else on that list, the only one that comes close is Bass.

PhillyPhreak54

My impression of Hopkins was always that he was a guy who slowed the matches down and did a lot of hugging and defensive stuff. The Pascal bout was out of character for him, I thought

phillymic2000

He definately tried to make every fighter he fought, fight his game, not theirs. He is amazing at it, He's had a few fights were he's been very aggressive, Trinidad, DLH, Mercado. But even in this fight, he kind of gave the first couple of rounds away and then came on strong.

phillymic2000

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/philly-to-honor-hopkins-85702

QuoteJoin Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter at the Rocky Statue located at the Philadelphia Museum of Art at noon on Wednesday (June 1) as the city honors newly crowned WBC light heavyweight world champion Bernard Hopkins in celebration of Hopkins' age-defying victory over Jean Pascal which made him the oldest fighter in boxing history to win a world title. The event is open to the public. Fans are encouraged to arrive early.

PhillyPhreak54

Bob Arum said that Floyd Mayweather turned down $65M to fight Pacquiao.

Arum is generally full of shtein; but if thats true...wow

DH

I bet it is...Floyd is a puss, he's been ducking pacman since he dismantled Hatton in 1 1/2 rounds

phillymic2000

It would not surprise me at all if Floyd ducked him. Pacman is at the top of his game right now.  65 mil. is sick moneyt o turn down though, just retarded sick.

PhillyPhreak54

I just don't understand it.

If the fight went down - it would the the most hyped fight since when? Tyson/Holyfield?

MDS

QuoteFloydMayweather Floyd Mayweather
Everyone with an iPhone, this is the best boxing app out right now: http://rock.li/ve1

hes got important things to do
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

DH

I hate him as much as any athlete out there..he's top 5 on my all-time list.

Nothing I'd like to see more than Manny knocking this bitch out.

SD

I know the Heavyweight division is dead but Klitsckho/Hayes is on right now and has a chance to be a decent fight. Longest entrance in boxing history.