Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillymic2000

Alright a depressing week in my little boxing world :'( I know Tyson would be done sooner or later, but I grew up watching all his fights, there was nothing like getting together to watch a Tyson fight, it was amazing. With Tyson losing, Tyszu losing last week, it is a time of change for me in my boxers who i have followed. the guys I grew up watching are being beat, their getting old and retiring. I know it is natural, but It's tough. Hopefully Hopkins keeps going, and Toney can make a run at a Heavy title. There is plenty of Great young talent out there, I just am not connected as I was with the old timers. Sad week. Thanks Mike, The good times you had in the ring were awesome, the bad times I could live without, but thanks! :'(

T_Section224

QuoteHe could not get up high enough to bite my ears — good job he wasn't a midget, otherwise he would have bitten something else."
:-D

Tyson is a nut-job
Proud Sponsor of Mike Bartrum

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: phillymic2000 on June 16, 2005, 01:51:03 PM
Alright a depressing week in my little boxing world :'( I know Tyson would be done sooner or later, but I grew up watching all his fights, there was nothing like getting together to watch a Tyson fight, it was amazing. With Tyson losing, Tyszu losing last week, it is a time of change for me in my boxers who i have followed. the guys I grew up watching are being beat, their getting old and retiring. I know it is natural, but It's tough. Hopefully Hopkins keeps going, and Toney can make a run at a Heavy title. There is plenty of Great young talent out there, I just am not connected as I was with the old timers. Sad week. Thanks Mike, The good times you had in the ring were awesome, the bad times I could live without, but thanks! :'(

Dude I know your a Tyson fan but you didn't really expect him to make any sort of real comeback did you?  The guy hasn't been a fighter since before he went to prison.  I think you should be OK with Hopkins though he may have his hands full in July. 

As far as James Toney goes it really amazes me that he is a heavyweight contender it just goes to show that the heavyweight division is full of bums.  In fact I think every heavyweight contender out there right now would be a candidate for the Joe Louis bum of the the month club.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

phillymic2000

QuoteAs far as James Toney goes it really amazes me that he is a heavyweight contender it just goes to show that the heavyweight division is full of bums.  In fact I think every heavyweight contender out there right now would be a candidate for the Joe Louis bum of the the month club.

With tyson, ah I was hoping he could at least get Ruiz and claim that belt, but oh well. With Toney you shouldn't be that surprised. Toney is the best skilled fighter in the heavys by a loooooong shot. He has all the tools of a middleweight and the body of a heavy now. He is smaller in height. The division on a whole is down, with King owning three out of the four belts (Klitschko is the only non-King fighter) it will be hard to have them unify. King wants future options on Klit if he fights any of the other three belt holders, and that ain't sitting well with Klit. There are some young guns coming up in the division, but after Toney whooped Ruiz's Butt, the other champs may stay away from him.

SD_Eagle5

Tarver put on a good show tonight in what turned out to be a pretty good fight. Johnson really didn't come alive till late in the fight. A little disappointing round 12 especially after such a great 11th, but Tarver did what he had to do to win. I'm looking forward to their 3rd bout.

The Quartey/Phillips fight was a snoozefest until the last 2 round.  :-o

I wasn't going to pay for the Gatti/Mayweather fight next week, but after the trash talking by Mayweather tonight I'm sold.  :deion

MURP

That fight was fairly boring for so many damn punches being thrown IMO, although I agree the 11th was great and then the 12th was terrible.  The 12th Reminded me of hockey when they trap and make it suck for the fans.    Im surprised Tarver kept that pace up for most of the rounds, although a lot of those punchers were pitter patter crap.   Anyway, Id watch a 3rd one. 

Drunkmasterflex

I thought the fight absolutely sucked.  I don't think Tarver landed any real fierce combinations, like Murp said it was just a bunch of pitter patter crap.  I loved how Lampley was comparing the fights to Gatti/Ward what a joke. 

I cannot wait for this weekends fight, as much as I love Gatti he really is a long shot to beat Mayweather.  I was watching the Mayweather/Corley fight and Gatti/Ward II yesterday On Demand, it is quite clear who the superior fighter is.  Though Gatti has become a much better boxer the longer he has worked under McGirt.

Lastnight Manfredo was on the CN8 fights in the the crowd he was saying he will be looking for another fight with Mora or Gomez sometime in the near future.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

phillymic2000

QuoteI cannot wait for this weekends fight, as much as I love Gatti he really is a long shot to beat Mayweather.  I was watching the Mayweather/Corley fight and Gatti/Ward II yesterday On Demand, it is quite clear who the superior fighter is.  Though Gatti has become a much better boxer the longer he has worked under McGirt.

I am with you doubleJ, I am torn cause I really want Gatti to kick the crap out of PBF. but PBF is so dangerous and Gatti has had trouble with quicker fighters (DLH/Manfreddy) this one will get ugly, these two guys hate, and I mean hate each other.  :evil

phillymic2000

Here is a link to video of the final presser for the Gatti/Mayweather fight. Vivian Harris who has been in more fights with his promoters lately then with other fighters gets in the mix and dogs mayweather.

http://www.15rounds.com/News/2005/06/Abrams_062205.php

henchmanUK

Hatton will be ringside in AC tonight, according to Brit press. :yay
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

phillymic2000

Quote from: henchmanUK on June 25, 2005, 04:04:39 PM

Maybe he can Tell Harris in a few minutes "Hey Harris, you got KNOCKED the Farg OUT MANNNNN!!"

phillymic2000

Quote from: henchmanUK on June 25, 2005, 04:04:39 PM

I was very impressed with Hatton last night on Friday night Fights. He is a very likable guy, has great boxing insight, and you can tell he really wants Mayweather in a fight!!

phillymic2000

Not looking good at all for Gatti :boo

phillymic2000

WTF Buddy stopped the fight....

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: phillymic2000 on June 25, 2005, 11:50:12 PM
WTF Buddy stopped the fight....

Thank god.

Gatti was thoroughly dominated. I can't remember the last time I've seen a fight that one sided. Mayweather's speed was way too much for him. Give credit to Gatti for taking that beating.