Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillymic2000

Alright, some good fights coming up.

This weekend:

Kostya Tzyu (IBF champ) vs. Ricky Hatton for the IBF title at 140lbs.

Young and untested Hatton in his hometown, going after the hard hitting Kostya for his title. fight is actually being fought at 2am England time to fit Showtimes time frame. Kostya with a late round stopage (10th)

June 11th: Mike Tyson  ;D vs. Kevin McBride Heavy's

Which Tyson will show up? If it is the in shape one, after he demolishes the Irish Pud he should sign on to fight Ruiz for free, just to get a belt... Tyson Ko in Rd. 2

June 18th: Glenn Johnson vs. Antonio Tarver (for Johnsons World titles at 175lbs.

Tarver looks for Revenge, and if he gets it look for a third fight. If Johnson is the winner he will probably have his pick of RJJ or Hopkins (if hopkins beats Taylor). Johnson would probably pick Hopkins, who gave him his first loss. Johnson by split decision.

June 25th: Arturo Gatti vs. Floyd Mayweather (for Gatti's WBC title)

Thunder vs. Flash, This one has turned into a big time fued!!Gatti has had major problems with fights faster then him, DLH, Manfreddy and to make it worse Mayweather is much quicker then both of those opponets. Mayweather does have a suspect chin. My heart tells me Gatti, cause Mayweather is a punk IMO, my mind tells me Mayweather, but what the heck Gatti wins by Ko in the 6th after catching Mayweather on a counter.

July 2nd: Sam Peter vs. Tyrus Sykes:

Peter is the up and coming Ko artist in the Heavy's very dangerous and powerfull, he needs to work on his boxing skills a bit, but expect an exciting KO in this one!! Peter by way of a 3rd round TKO

July 16th: Benard Hopkins vs. Jermain Taylor (for Hopkins IBF/WBC/WBO/WBA belts)

Hopkins taking on the young lion of the Middleweight division. This one will be awesome. hopkins wants this one sooooo bad Taylor is young and strong but does not have the experience that Hopkins has. Hopkins by a UD.

An exciting June and July for boxing fans!!

Sgt PSN

I've been seeing a lot of commericial on tv over the last week or 2 pimping the Tyson/McBride fight.  But rather than pimping the actual fight itself, their "selling point" for getting the ppv is simply "With Mike Tyson, you never know what's going to happen."  IMO, it's pretty sad that that is the major selling point for a Tyson fight now.  They're trying to sell you on the "potential" shock value of what Tyson might do.  Will he bite another ear off?  Will he have his entire face tattooed?  Will he come out in women's underwear?  I think it shows just how far he's fallen over the last few years.  His name alone is no longer a major draw and they have to focus on his antics to sell the fight. 

rjs246

The world needs more Mike Tyson-style freaks. I mean is there anything on earth that makes you feel more normal as a human being than watching an interview with that guy? He's my ego's hero.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: rjs246 on June 01, 2005, 12:35:42 PM
The world needs more Mike Tyson-style freaks. I mean is there anything on earth that makes you feel more normal as a human being than watching an interview with that guy? He's my ego's hero.

:-D  Holy shtein dude, I logged off the board for a few minutes because some of my co-workers started talking about the fight and they were all saying how much of a freak Tyson has become and I said basically the same thing you just did.  I was like "Look, if it wasn't for guys like Tyson or Michael Jackson, then I wouldn't feel quite so normal."  Dude, get out of my head man.  :paranoid

phillymic2000

Hey Tyson is a changed man:

From DHB:

QuoteWelcome to neighborhood

WALLACE MATTHEWS

May 31, 2005

These days, Mike Tyson says his explosive temper surfaces only in time of need, such as a couple of weeks ago, when he spotted a shady-looking character lurking around the suburban Phoenix neighborhood where he has been living while training for his June 11 fight against Kevin McBride.

According to Tyson, he watched the man walk up and down the street several times before confronting him and angrily demanding to know what he was doing in the neighborhood.

"The guy was scared to death," Tyson said, laughing. "He was saying, 'Oh my God, Mr. Tyson, I'm sorry, I dropped my wallet somewhere on this block and I was looking for it.'"

Tyson said he felt "a little guilty" after he ran the man off - until he was thanked for his actions by several of his neighbors, who said they had noticed the man hanging around for a while and were frightened of him.

"You believe that?" Tyson said. "Now I'm the neighborhood watch! I'm Spiderman!"

That guy had to of crapped his pants!

Tyson's name is still a huge selling point. the MCI center in DC was sold out in 3 days :o thats nuts for a non title fight.  I just really hope that Tyson can make one last run at the title. IF is the big word, he is in shape and has some stanima and can continue to build on that then Ruiz will be cake walk, Brewster looks like he has to go through Krasnic after last weekend. Maybe we see a Klitschko vs. Tyson match >:D I know I am dreaming the Tyson of the past died that night in Japan against Douglas, but the Dude needs some Cash, and a big payday waits against Klitschko!

SD_Eagle5

Tszyu vs. Hatton...what a fight!  :o

Can't believe Tszyu quit in the 11th. 

The retaliation low-blow from Hatton was probably the most intentional one I've ever seen.

phillymic2000

Yep, awesome fight, the low blow was bad. Tzyu corner man urged him to stop, and he was behind on the cards. Hopefully we get a rematch on a more neutral site. 0-1 in my predictions so far >:(

SD_Eagle5

Hopkins wants a re-match with Jones

Wouldn't be much of a fight if you ask me. Jones is washed up and should retire. This fight should have happened in '01 immediately after Hopkins beat Trinidad.

phillymic2000

Yeah, but RJJ wanted a 70-30 split or something crazy like that.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: phillymic2000 on June 05, 2005, 02:12:45 PM
Yeah, but RJJ wanted a 70-30 split or something crazy like that.

I remember that. I've always felt that was a lame excuse and that Jones was dodging Hopkins.

phillymic2000

I can understand a 55 - 45 split since RJJ did beat him, but any undisputed champ taking a 30-70 split is just insane. RJJ got his twice, and the second one was against a man who Hopkins humiliated back in 1997. I would love for him to end it with a butt whuppin of RJJ, but first he has to get past Taylor :yay

henchmanUK

"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

phillymic2000

Quote from: henchmanUK on June 06, 2005, 05:19:57 AM
HITMAN

I gotta give it to ya Henchman!! Hatton handled Tszyu. I am in no way a hater when i say this but with Tszy going into Hattons home town as the Champ, will we finally see Hatton outside if England? Anyway way to go, Hatton is IMO the man at 140lbs. right now, Mayweather is getting pumped as the P4P guy at 140 right now, but i think Hatton would dipose of him.

MURP

Quote"The guy was scared to death," Tyson said, laughing. "He was saying, 'Oh my God, Mr. Tyson, I'm sorry, I dropped my wallet somewhere on this block and I was looking for it.'"

:-D  oh man, that would be bad.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: SD_Eagle on June 05, 2005, 01:25:59 AM
Hopkins wants a re-match with Jones

Wouldn't be much of a fight if you ask me. Jones is washed up and should retire. This fight should have happened in '01 immediately after Hopkins beat Trinidad.

I agree especially if he goes down closer to Hopkins weight.  I think Jones' problem has been that he has tried to switch weight classes so many damn times it finally has taken a toll on his body.  He has never been a fighter that took a lot of punishment in the ring until Tarver and Johnson.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell