Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 29, 2019, 07:45:12 AM
bundy lost tapes (or whatever its called) -  i love serial killer shtein so ill watch and enjoy all of it but if you are any kind of bundy officianado there was nothing really new here especially with the tapes which were supposed to be the breaking news part of this as they ahd never been heard before....i thing that i didnt fully realize was just how brazen bundy got after a while and really was so addicted to murdering young women that he was doing shtein like a double daylight kidnapping on the same day at the same location...if you know little about bundy except for maybe his name and tht he was a erial killr then i think this would be great

3.5/5

Watched this for tips and motivation. The tapes were pretty boring, the trial was entertaining. As you mention, the rest of the stuff was a rehash of his story. That should close the book on telling his story, it's boring and overanalyzed at this point.

MDS

first man - overdirected overdone trying too hard borderline misfire for chazile. if you cut 30 minutes out of it and give the characters something to do other than grit their teeth and stare then maybe it could be salvaged. the physical moon scene was cool but it took too long to get there. 1.5/5

the wife - oh boy. what a mess this was. glenn close was amazing but the movie itself was trash. for some reason it takes place in the early 90s even though nobody made an effort stylistically to adhere to that. 25% of the movie is flashbacks which were dull. the movie opens with close and jon pryce having old people sex. this is a very weird movie at times that is wholly unsatisfying but the journey is kind of entertaining in what the hell is going on way. reminded me of a poor mans first reformed in that the product isnt good but the performances are and it still manages to be interesting. 2/5

high flying bird - boring garbage. kima plays another lesbian. no idea why other than he wanted to show off but soderbergh again shot this on an iphone and its just silly. 1/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: AO1 on February 11, 2019, 12:51:01 PM
bundy lost tapes (or whatever its called) -  i love serial killer shtein so ill watch and enjoy all of it but if you are any kind of bundy officianado there was nothing really new here especially with the tapes which were supposed to be the breaking news part of this as they ahd never been heard before....i thing that i didnt fully realize was just how brazen bundy got after a while and really was so addicted to murdering young women that he was doing shtein like a double daylight kidnapping on the same day at the same location...if you know little about bundy except for maybe his name and tht he was a erial killr then i think this would be great

3.5/5

Watched this for tips and motivation. The tapes were pretty boring, the trial was entertaining. As you mention, the rest of the stuff was a rehash of his story. That should close the book on telling his story, it's boring and overanalyzed at this point.

i cant farging wait for mindhunter s2...god that show was so good
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Great show...I eat the serial killer shtein up. Investigation Discovery is my crack rock. The girlfriend (Hannah Gross) in season 1 was in Sinner season 2.

smeags

Polar - (Netflix) meh ...john wick ripoff.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

all about nina - probably my new #1 movie of the year...just a titanic performance by mary elizabeth winstead...shes hilarious....dark...excruciatingly sad  sarcastically dark and bitter all wrapped up in a tour de force performance....man is she good...a joke that performances like this dont get nominated much less win an oscar....instead we get a glenn close career award....id give the movie a 10/10 but common is incredibly miscast as the boyfriend...its a testament to how good the movie is that he didnt single handedly ruin it

sidenote; jay mohr is NOT aging well

9.5/10

ice grillin you

widows - you dont often see a rips thru the borders of reality kinda silly but entertaining heist thriller that tackles some serious social issues....but this is one them and it pulls it off in a really fun way...also bank this right now....this movie will one day be in the TNT USA AMC AXS hall of fame rotation of movies that are on repeat...one of those movies where if nothing else is on and you find it no matter where along it is you are IN til the end

6.5/10

SD

bundy lost tapes (or whatever its called) -  i love serial killer shtein

Check out the two hour BTK Killer Among Us special that aired on ID last night. One of the more farged up serial killers.

ice grillin you

Quote from: AO1 on February 18, 2019, 09:46:36 AM

Check out the two hour BTK Killer Among Us special that aired on ID last night. One of the more farged up serial killers.

i saw the one that interviewed his daughter a few weeks ago...in season 1 of manhunter they show the very beginnings of the foundation of btk's serial killing career

MDS

widows - down the middle heist movie that bit off more than it could chew. really good cast that was for the most part wasted. felt like a 6 part miniseries condensed to 2 hours. 2.5/5

bohemian rhapsody - an absolute mess of a film that is an embarrassment to awards show for being nominated. they took an interesting and real story (you know, queen) and turned their origins and reality into a generically boring band movie that hit on every cliche and trope known to man. humble beginnings...family...drugs...booze...yoko ono...break up...come back. then for some reason they recreated their 20 minute live aid performance from 1986. in full. just mind boggling. like a wet fart that doesnt end. 1/5 for the music alone and i didnt even touch on mike myers doing his shrek voice or how they handled freddy's gayness.

tag - pointless movie moderately saved by hannibal burress 1.5/5

uncle drew - pepsi commercial moderately saved by shaq 1.5/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

kindergarten teacher - classic Maggie gyllenhall set piece...right in her wheelhouse and she pulls it off as always incredibly well...keeps you uncomfortably on the edge of your seat the whole time while never getting cheesy or over the top..youll also be shocked to know that Maggie shows titty

8.5/10

mamma mia 1 - probably the campiest movie I have ever seen...holy shtein its straight cheese...the music isn't even that good...I think I fast forwafeed thru every song but one or maybe two...still it is what it is and was kinda fun

4/10

mamma mia 2 - much much better...much more heartfelt...better music but still skippable in parts...also still cheesy much in a better way and this time it was legit super fun

6.5/10

the education of sonny carson -  seen this a bunch of times but probably not for 10 years...right up there with the warriors as an all time nyc gang flick except this is a true story...definitely looks dated as farg but its so gritty and so sad that it overcomes its deficiencies...tons of lines from it have been sampled in some of the greatest hip hop songs ever made which is cool too..in fact sonny carson was the father of one of the x-clans founders...also its a great book

8/10

evil genius - four part doc on the infamous erie pizza bomber case...learned so much shtein I didn't know about a bonkers true crime incident...unike a lot of these they knew when to stop and in came it at a really well paced four parts...great stuff

10/10

support the girls - worst movie ive seen in a long time...the whole movie was them trying to do really funny stuff or say funny things and the scene will just kind of stop and you say to yourself am I supposed to laugh at that?...and never once do you...just brutally uncomfortably not funny

0/10

ice grillin you

also on Netflix right now is a show called I am a killer and each one hour episode tells the story of a death row inmate and the crime that put them there....its not the greatest thing ever but ive watched a bunch and im sure youd like it

SD

Quote from: MDS on February 19, 2019, 11:21:07 AM

bohemian rhapsody - an absolute mess of a film that is an embarrassment to awards show for being nominated. they took an interesting and real story (you know, queen) and turned their origins and reality into a generically boring band movie that hit on every cliche and trope known to man. humble beginnings...family...drugs...booze...yoko ono...break up...come back. then for some reason they recreated their 20 minute live aid performance from 1986. in full. just mind boggling. like a wet fart that doesnt end. 1/5 for the music alone and i didnt even touch on mike myers doing his shrek voice or how they handled freddy's gayness.

Watched it over the weekend and this is so spot on it's like I wrote it.

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 19, 2019, 11:33:49 AM

also on Netflix right now is a show called I am a killer and each one hour episode tells the story of a death row inmate and the crime that put them there....its not the greatest thing ever but ive watched a bunch and im sure youd like it

Seen it on there I'll check it out if I can clear the ID stuff off my dvr. The snow children aired last night on ID, it's about the Detroit kid murders. I was really unfamiliar with the story and didn't realize how farged up it was with the pedophilia ring.

MDS

deadpool 2 - i should really stop watching comic book movies because i dont like them and i dont get them. with that said, this was boring. 1/5

burning - if you want to watch a 2.5 hour pyschological thriller movie in korean, do i have the jawn for you. the ending didnt do it for me but everything leading up to it was terrific. absurdly good directing and pacing for a film this long. the score was incredible. there are really only 3 characters and by the end you feel you know them and you god damn care about them. the movie plays with your mind and sucks you in, makes you question everything. highly recommend though i realize this is not going to be everyone. 4/5

a star is burns - bradley cooper made his own movie and included 0 references to philadelphia or the eagles. david boreanz is on a dumb cbs show about navy seals and all he does is wear eagles shirts. just beyond the pale for typical junkintown trash. anyway they did a decent job with a heavily cliched story that featured little originality and surprises (remakes...). lady gaga was really good. andrew dice clay was REALLY good. music is spectacular. but its just tough to get past a story that you know how it ends before it begins. 2.5/5

---

now that ive seen all the oscar movies, my rankings because this matters
1 roma 2 blackkklansman 3 the favourite 4 star is born 5 vice 6 black panther 7 green book 8 bohemian rhapsody

this was a terrible year for movies. roma is a great accomplishment but has zero rewatchability and is going to come and go and nobody will remember it.