2006 Free Agent Tracker - Offense

Started by PhillyPhreak54, February 14, 2006, 09:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

good move by the colts.

and randel-el just had an orgasm.

PhillyPhanInDC

The more I think about it, the more I think Santonio Holmes, Sinorice Moss, and several others in the draft are probably going to be better pure receivers that Randle-El is. I don't think he'll get a deal from a team that looks anything like what Wayne just got. No where close. I just don't think that after you substract his Super Bowl performance, he was ever that great a receiver. shtein, is he even that great a kick returner?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PhillyPhanInDC

ESPN.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Ravens to let Jamal Lewis test free agency

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens have decided not to protect Jamal Lewis from free agency, but have not ruled out the possibility of signing the one-time 2,000-yard rusher to a long-term contract.

Lewis, the NFL Offensive Player of the Year in 2003, when he rushed for 2,066 yards, slumped to a career-low 906 yards this season following a four-month sentence in a Florida federal prison and two months in a halfway house for a cocaine conspiracy plea bargain. He also underwent surgery on his right ankle.

The Ravens would have had to assign a one-year, $6 million franchise tender to retain Lewis. Not doing so means they are likely to look over the veteran running back market while evaluating potential rookie running backs such as USC's LenDale White and Memphis' DeAngelo Williams. The Ravens have the 13th overall pick in the draft.

Chester Taylor, Lewis' backup, is likely to become a free agent.

"We will still consider the possibility of talking to Jamal about a long-term contract with us," said Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, who drafted Lewis fifth overall out of Tennessee in 2000.

Lewis could join an already crowded running back market that could include NFL MVP Shaun Alexander of Seattle; Indianapolis' Edgerrin James and Carolina's DeShaun Foster.

"I've spoken with Jamal and his agent today to let them know."

Lewis' agent Mitch Frankel had no immediate comment.

Lewis' total in 2003 was the second-highest total in league history. However, his production has declined each year since then while dealing with legal turmoil and injuries. In 2004, Lewis rushed for 1,006 yards. This season, Lewis averaged a career-low 3.4 yards per carry and scored a career-low three touchdowns. He rushed for 100 yards only twice this year.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

phattymatty

rjs246

From a purely football point of view, I would take Lewis in a second. Plus it would probably make PG's brain explode and that would be high comedy.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Mad-Lad

Lewis stunk last year, but i'm sure he'd be awesome splitting time in Philly's pass happy offensive scheme.

PhillyPhreak54

Jamal Lewis = garbage

Jay Fiedler = good backup

Jerald Sowell = good FB..he fits into the ABP theory (Anybody but Parry)

phattymatty

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 22, 2006, 05:01:13 PM
Jamal Lewis = garbage

definitely garbage, it was so weird how he bungled his way to 2ooo yards only 2 years ago.  i don't even want him, but to say he's garbage is we todd did.

bobbyinlondon

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on February 22, 2006, 03:42:32 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think Santonio Holmes, Sinorice Moss, and several others in the draft are probably going to be better pure receivers that Randle-El is. I don't think he'll get a deal from a team that looks anything like what Wayne just got. No where close. I just don't think that after you substract his Super Bowl performance, he was ever that great a receiver. shtein, is he even that great a kick returner?

I believe it was the Pittsburgh Gazette that had a story on that over the weekend. It's rumored the Bears are going to pay him between 3.5-4M per year. The writer asks, "Who would pay a reciever who scored 1 TD and averaged 2 catches per game that much?" Those are Pinkston-type numbers.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: phattymatty on February 22, 2006, 05:10:47 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 22, 2006, 05:01:13 PM
Jamal Lewis = garbage

definitely garbage, it was so weird how he bungled his way to 2ooo yards only 2 years ago.  i don't even want him, but to say he's garbage is we todd did.

I should rephrase...he was garbage last year. And the fact that he wasn't running hard showed that he's a guy who isn't interested in playing hard.

rjs246

Lewis not running hard between the tackles >>>>> Westbrook I-Think-I-Can'ing his way between the tackles.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

Westbrook can run between the tackles when he has the blocking to do so.

This discussion is moot though. Just like those talking about edgerrin James coming here. Not gonna happen.

rjs246

What evidence do you have the Westbrook can run between the tackles? In everyone one of his first three seasons there were other RBs on the roster who ran between the tackles better than he did. And one year that RB was bazillion year old Dorsey Levens. It's wishful thinking to blame it on the blocking.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

I seem to remember him making several good runs between the tackles when he had good blocking. Off the top of my head I remember a run in Buffalo in 2003 where he went 66 yards and a run against the Giants in 2004 that went for 50 yards. What is the common denominator in these instances? He had a real FB named Jon Ritchie leading the way.

Also in 2003 the Eagles had a commitment to the run.

He can do it. He just needs someone committed to calling runs, the OL blocking well and any FB not named Josh Parry blocking for him.