The Process

Started by MDS, September 18, 2017, 04:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

I always wonder what it's like being a fan when you are also a professional athlete. If someone has read a great article on the topic, let me know.

You have to figure that they grew up as massive fans of their local teams, since sports are a huge part of their lives. So what happens when you're a local Philly kid who lives and dies with the Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers, and then you get drafted by the 49ers (to pick a team/city that Philly people would have no strong feelings about). Obviously you instantly switch to being a 49er fan over the Eagles, since they are the team who pays you, believes in you, and hopefully you are friends with people there and really believe in what they are trying to accomplish. Do the Eagles stay your second team, or once you're in the NFL is it more personal.... rooting for the individual guys who are your friends and who you respect professionally? Or do you not care about who wins, outside of your own team?

Then there's the other teams in the city. Often you will hang out with some of those guys and become friendly with them. If you have a close connection with your own fans, and they are also rooting for the Warriors and SF Giants, do you just naturally get swept up by the current of SF fandom? When you're a pro athlete it's almost like you are a symbol of the city you play for, and I can understand that connection being stronger than feelings about your childhood teams. Obviously there are a lot of guys like Mike Trout who openly stay fans of their hometown teams though.

Or is it really just a pure marketing gimmick when someone from Cleveland goes to Sixers games in a Liberty Bell cap?

ice grillin you

i think when an entire city is on your bird you tend to root for the same teams as they do....million dollar paychecks dont hurt either
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

Zach Lowe mining stats on Simmons, Redick, Covey, Saric, Embiid:

That group has outscored opponents by an absurd 29 points per 100 possessions, the best mark among all 68 five-man groups that have logged at least 50 minutes, per NBA.com.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: QB Eagles on November 24, 2017, 12:15:52 PM
I always wonder what it's like being a fan when you are also a professional athlete.

Most pro athletes aren't fans in the same way that regular fans are fans.  They were spending their youth grinding in the gym, studying their playbooks, and practicing.  To them, the goal was to make the pros and win a chip, not live vicariously through their favorite team(s).  I can guarantee you that Mike Trout has never broken his remote over the Eagles or made some stupid youtube videos after each game.  He watches, he cheers when they do good and he gives practically 0 fargs when they suck.  He also watches from a completely different perspective than any regular fan would.  He's watching his peers, even if it's a different sport.  He knows the work they put in to be there and there's a mutual respect and admiration among pro athletes.  And, unlike fans, he actually knows the players and might have personal relationships with a few.  So it's more than just rooting for laundry, he's rooting for friends.

QuoteOr is it really just a pure marketing gimmick when someone from Cleveland goes to Sixers games in a Liberty Bell cap?

Mostly, yes.  If Lane Johnson were playing in Chicago he'd have been at a Bulls game with a Jordan jersey on last night. 

SD

Trout has an Eagles tattoo, the YouTube thing yeah but I'm sure he's broken a few remotes.

We all dream about an Eagles Super Bowl, young athletes dream about making it to the big show.

phattymatty

other than lebron obvi there is not a single person in the cavs starting 5 that i would pick over the sixers starting five.

maybe crowder and dario are a push.

phattymatty

also wow molly looks good tonight.

Eagles_Legendz

0/8 from 3 isn't going to cut it.   When Redick is not on he really offers nothing. 

I want to like TLC... I feel like I can see the outline of a good basketball player, but he's just not there yet.

Eagles_Legendz

Wade is wrecking them by himself since he's come in.  Gotten anything he's wanted.

phattymatty

yeah granted it's early but def. ben's worst defensive game this year.

SD

Quote from: phattymatty on November 27, 2017, 07:14:57 PM
also wow molly looks good tonight.

I love the all black look

Wade ain't so old is he

MDS

molly got her hair done and bought a new outfit. finest shes looked in years.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Eagles_Legendz

Man Redick has been god awful.  Have said that too many times this year. 

First game which Simmons has looked disinterested.   He's just floated.

Eagles_Legendz

Covington bricks open 3 and Korver hits contested 3 and it goes from 6 pt deficit with Cleveland TO to 12 pts in 10 seconds.

phattymatty

would have been a fun win. oh well.