Science 'n Shtein

Started by hbionic, August 23, 2011, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

Someone just thought Jax from mortal combat was cool.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

General_Failure

3 Phila. men to receive science prize

QuoteThis year's recipients are P. Leslie Dutton, a biochemist and biophysicist at the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine, and two physicians who will share an award, N. Scott Adzick, surgeon-in-chief at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, and Robert L. Brent, former chairman of pediatrics at Thomas Jefferson University.

Dutton has spent his career seeking a way to understand how in biology, electrons are organized in cells, and how they convert light or oxygen into energy for the cell. This is known as electron transfer, he said.

He and his lab have figured out a way to manipulate the electron transfer to create man-made versions of proteins, which could have implications for curing disease, harnessing solar energy, even making synthetic blood for battlefield emergencies, he said.

The second award will be shared by the two physicians because of their work with birth defects.

Adzick has been a pioneer in fetal surgery, an idea born of frustration.

Doctors realized that in many cases of birth defects, babies could have been perfectly normal at birth - if only surgeons could have resolved the defects in the womb. That wish led to years of testing with animals and refining surgical techniques until the first fetal surgery took place at Children's in 1996.

hbionic

I've never heard of fetal surgery and that's incredible that they realized children could be born normal and avoid defects at birth with surgery.

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Sgt PSN

How could you have never heard of fetal surgery?  It's not like it plays for the Eagles.

General_Failure

Unlike fetal alcohol syndrome, which started at linebacker every year Reid was the head coach.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 23, 2013, 01:02:18 AM
How could you have never heard of fetal surgery?  It's not like it plays for the Eagles.

lol
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/at-scientific-american/2013/06/27/science-in-action-winner-for-2013-elif-bilgin/

QuoteBilgin spent two years toiling away on her project to develop a bioplastic from discarded banana peels, enduring 10 failed trials of plastics that weren't strong enough or that decayed rapidly. She was undaunted. As she put it in her project description: "Even Thomas Edison said, 'I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work.'" Finally, in her last two trials, she made plastics with the features she sought, and it did not decay.

General_Failure

Geowhizzer

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

smeags

just hope it doesnt become a zombie comet
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

General_Failure

Zanshin

Thank god. No more losing my bacon in the dark of night.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons