Science 'n Shtein

Started by hbionic, August 23, 2011, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

Why do some people blame themselves for everything?

QuotePeople prone to depression may struggle to organize information about guilt and blame in the brain, new neuroimaging research suggests.

Crushing guilt is a common symptom of depression, an observation that dates back to Sigmund Freud. Now, a new study finds a communication breakdown between two guilt-associated brain regions in people who have had depression. This so-called "decoupling" of the regions may be why depressed people take small faux pas as evidence that they are complete failures.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

That news is so obvious, I should have known it already.  What a farging piece of shtein I am.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

ice grillin you

there was a heated debate on maher this week over genetically modified foods and whether their labels should note the food as such
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 24, 2012, 02:14:48 PM
there was a heated debate on maher this week over genetically modified foods and whether their labels should note the food as such

The code on fruit and vegetables designates whether it's been genetically modified. 4 digit code means it's conventionally grown but not organic. 5 digit code that begins with an 8 means it's genetically modified, 5 digit code that starts with a 9 means it's organic.

ice grillin you

yeah and low fat milk says low fat

Diomedes

Quote from: SD on June 24, 2012, 09:19:09 PMThe code on fruit and vegetables designates whether it's been genetically modified. 4 digit code means it's conventionally grown but not organic. 5 digit code that begins with an 8 means it's genetically modified, 5 digit code that starts with a 9 means it's organic.

This is mostly true, but the labeling is not strict enough to rely upon 100%.  There are genetically modified fruits being sold without the correct fifth (leading) digit qualifier being applied.

If the PLU starts with an 8 then yeah, you know it's GMO.  But what we don't have is an assurance that ALL GMO fruits and vegetables are so labelled.

PLUs are used for stock management, not for consumer notice.   
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

you also have 95% of the population having no idea what you are referring too....stop the dumb coding and just tell people in english on the packaging that its genetically modified

SD

Quote from: Diomedes on June 25, 2012, 06:00:28 AM
Quote from: SD on June 24, 2012, 09:19:09 PMThe code on fruit and vegetables designates whether it's been genetically modified. 4 digit code means it's conventionally grown but not organic. 5 digit code that begins with an 8 means it's genetically modified, 5 digit code that starts with a 9 means it's organic.

This is mostly true, but the labeling is not strict enough to rely upon 100%.  There are genetically modified fruits being sold without the correct fifth (leading) digit qualifier being applied.

If the PLU starts with an 8 then yeah, you know it's GMO.  But what we don't have is an assurance that ALL GMO fruits and vegetables are so labelled.

PLUs are used for stock management, not for consumer notice.

There are 3 places I buy my produce from, buck o bag, fruit and produce junction...and most recently because there's one next to my gym is Radnor. All 3 places use conventionally grown produce which I'm fine with. Fruit and produce junction and buck o bag are straight produces places so I asked the employees behind the register and they told me where they get their produce from [mostly local farms] and that it's conventionally grown. I went to Radnor for the first time last week and asked the guy in the produce section who was spraying down the fruit. He said all their produce was conventionally grown. I do agree that they should section off the gmf but if it's that big of a concern to you there are ways of telling such as reading the sticker [maybe not 100% accurate but still a decent indicator] or by simply asking. In all honesty I don't think most people care that much and will buy whatevers cheapest.

Rome

The best way to avoid modified fruits and veggies is to eat more meat.  Get on it, fairies.

SD

Quote from: Rome on June 25, 2012, 09:15:48 AM
The best way to avoid modified fruits and veggies is to eat more meat.  Get on it, fairies.

Meat is modified more so than veggies are

ice grillin you

thats why i hunt and fish for all my food

Seabiscuit36

Finally coming around I see LOL. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

Quote from: SD on June 25, 2012, 10:38:12 AM
Quote from: Rome on June 25, 2012, 09:15:48 AM

Meat is modified more so than veggies are

Yeah, so?  You guys sound like a sewing bee.

Eat more meat and the more roids the betta.

General_Failure

Wi-Fi To Transmit Seven Blu-ray Movies Per Second

QuoteSo far, the researchers, from University of Southern California, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and Tel Aviv University, have twisted together eight data streams, each operating at 300 Gbps, to achieve the new record of 2.5 terabits per second. At the moment, they've only transmitted signals as far as 1 meter. That should be scaled up before long—though the researchers admit 1 kilometer is probably an upper limit.